Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the risks of trackdays
will121

posted on 21/5/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
the risks of trackdays

just surfing youtube and a bit of a reminder of the risks of a wet trackday around 5:30mins, just hope sun is shining next Thursday when i go

youtube Snetterton trackday link

[Edited on 21/5/12 by will121]

welderman

posted on 21/5/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. Risky but bloody good fun

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

craig1410

posted on 21/5/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
What happened? A bit of lift off oversteer when already at 99% lateral grip limit? That's what it looked like to me anyway.

Ah, these things happen, as long as nobody is badly hurt then it's not that big of a deal. I'd rather have a few scars from living life to the max than lie in a bed of cotton wool all my years. Actually cotton wool is quite flammable isn't it...maybe not the best way to stay safe after all!

craig1410

posted on 21/5/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
wind on to 5.24

Yeah I watched the video thanks, it wasn't a random guess at what the video contains...

I was trying to figure out what the driver did wrong to cause the slide.

will121

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
I would say lift off over steer, in my opinion its a terrible corner, and I told Jonathan Parmer too, you need to start lifting off at end off the 180 degree corner to scrub off enough speed for the last corner especially in the wet and as seen not much runoff, but as he said its designed for last chance overtaking before finish line

[Edited on 22/5/12 by will121]

Slimy38

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
We used to watch touring cars from that end of the track, lots of cars lost it due to not scrubbing off enough speed. Although most didn't get that far round the corner, they'd lose it at the very lowest point and just carry on going straight off the track. I seem to remember the track also drops down before the sharp left, which would also be entertaining.

To be honest, even if he hadn't come off there I reckon he'd have lost it on the change from right to left.

Although the Astra (?) in front of him was doing well to stay ahead. I guess an Astra is less prone to oversteer and would be easier to drive round that corner?

vinny1275

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
We were at a track evening a couple of years ago on the Silverstone GP circuit (before they changed the layout). In the drivers' briefing, they'd said not to lift through the kink onto the pit straight. I'm in the passenger seat, SWMBO's dad's driving, and as we come round the kink, we saw a cloud of dust up ahead, backed off and put the blinkers on, and come across a TVR Sagaris (I think), which looked to have hit the hoardings on both sides of the pit straight. Several times. There were bits strewn all over the shop - the main cell looked pretty intact, but wings, bonnet, boot, radiator, suspension bits all spread over the track.....

You have to be prepared for whatever you're driving to be written off if something bad happens....

edsco

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
How bizarre! Or very coincidental.

That same day that 206 went off the track at Snetterton, we were sharing a garage with the guy. Whilst i saw the aftermath i didnt see or hear where he went off. At the time i just thought.....oooohhh bad luck. the guy was fine btw.

But the really odd thing is....later that very same day i too spun in exactly (i say exactly) the same spot. Where he missed the black and white bollards and yellow cone i managed to clip it all side on, destroy it all, but managed to keep the rears on the track so i didnt have the misfortune (thankfully) hitting the barriers.

Personally i thought the rear brake snatched on at the time inducing the spun as we had problems with brakes at Anglesey the week before. However this may have been a red herring as about an hour later my mate went out in the car after an inspection and green light and the diff promptly failed on him, and we were left wondering whether fragments of the diff managed to momentarily locked the rear axle.

Further inspection of the diff by a professionally confirmed the bearing on the output shaft had been destroyed and the out put shaft had sheared, but according to him there was nothing to hint towards a locking rear axle.

So we were left with many unanswered questions.

Personally, on reflection, maybe it was driver error, but data logging, never lies, and showed i was travelling at a constant 50mph tip toeing round the corner with not a hint of lift off of the throttle. Again in my opinion and it is only opinion, there is a lot of weight transfer happening in the last 20 yards of the corner with camber changes on track, couple that with a bloody wet track, if the balance of the car is to cock, then i think that's your answer. But if you saw the footage of my spin there, you are left thinking how is it the back of the car could swap ends on you without any progression of a slide and it just snapping.

Lots of unanswered questions remain, but i have to be honest, it could quite easily be driver error.

edsco

thefreak

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
We were there for the Ma5daracing round a few weeks ago and the Festa Juniors were there too. A lad, Alfonso I think he was came off there twice. First time just a few scuffs. Second time the front end of the car was missing! think he went into the tyres head on.
Poor lad, he must have been all of 14 and was white as a sheet and shaking when he got back. He was fine though. Car wasn't so much.
Mind you, it was monsoon season that weekend!

Pezza

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I stuffed my MK a month after IVA on its first track outing lol
Was uber greasy and damp, plus my rear hub bolts were only finger tight it turned out

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

owelly

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, there's a bit of a trackday rules debate over on the PPC forum...
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9973

ETA correct linky. Sorry.

[Edited on 22/5/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts

I couldn't find anything on ppc forum, do you have a direct link?

Oddified

posted on 23/5/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9973

ETA correct linky. Sorry.

[Edited on 22/5/12 by owelly]

Interesting read, and people like that is the reason i stopped doing the 'fun' track events. Prior to ppc it was the CCC mag (Car and Car Conversion for those not old enough ) and then they did action days and i did a few of those with my kitten at Castle Combe and Croft. A few idiots like that in one session made me think i'd be better off having a play at rwyb drag racing instead...

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.