Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel fitment
richwill

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel fitment

I just fitted a set of 15inch x 7J et 38 wheels to the Velocity but they are rubbing the arches.
It looks like I need a different offset but I get confused about how to measure it.
I will need to move the wheel further in beneath the arch and therefore closer to the body by about 25mm. Can someone tell me the size I will need.

mcerd1

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
here's a guide on measuring them: LINKY

but something doesn't sound right here - what axle are you using ?

-

richwill

posted on 22/5/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Sierra running gear as standard.
loggyboy

posted on 22/5/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richwill
I just fitted a set of 15inch x 7J et 38 wheels to the Velocity but they are rubbing the arches.
It looks like I need a different offset but I get confused about how to measure it.
I will need to move the wheel further in beneath the arch and therefore closer to the body by about 25mm. Can someone tell me the size I will need.

If you get another set of rims that are still 38mm offset, but alre narrower (6inch), then you will gain 12.5mm clearance on either side of the rim. (ie half the inch lossed)

If you increase the offset, this will also bring the wheels inwards, however you will struggle to get offsets over 45mm, so the most you can gain from this is about 7mm if the wheels are still 7 inch wide.

Doing both still still only gain you 19mm of extra clearance
You may be limited with wheel choice and find very hard to find 45mm offset in ford stud spacing, (108mmx4 PCD) as in general, cars that share that stud spacing have low offsets -irca ET10mm for pug/citroen etc) and circa 38mm for ford)
Vauxhalls have higher offsets (circa 49mm) but come in 100mm PCD.

[Edited on 22/5/12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 22/5/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know the Velocity that well, but I thought most folk end up needing to space the wheels out - are you sure they are ET38 ? (the old RWD fords used ET12 - ET25)

mk1 focus's (all the 4 stud ones) and mk3 mondeo's (last of the 4 stud ones) mostly use 15" wheels with 49 or 52mm offset if you can borrow one to try it
(these are the ones I have on my tin-top)

[Edited on 22/5/2012 by mcerd1]

-

richwill

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have an old mondeo wheel here so will try that .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.