Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: News just in!
Ninehigh

posted on 22/5/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
News just in!

"Britain needs to get its economy growing" says BBC news (as of about a minute ago)

Where's this "stating the obvious" department? I need a job

r1_pete

posted on 22/5/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bank of England should reduce interest rates, how much lower than 0.5% can they go.....

Whats needed is for lenders to pass the savings on to borrowers, borrowing at .5% and lending at 5 - 6 % +

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
What's needed is a few measures to get a bit more money in the pockets of the average person. For example if my petrol, gas and electricity bills went down by 10% that's a fair chunk of money that can go to other businesses who'll employ more people.

D Beddows

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's common sense though.......! I suspect most people 'in charge' have no concept that your average person has no extra cash to spend on anything at the moment and are puzzled why, when they increase tax on everything, they get little extra revenue - I'll give them a hint.......it's because we have to buy less of everything every time you do it because we have had to take pay cuts/haven't had a pay rise or bonus in years/have been made unemployed.....unlike yourselves.....
Peteff

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Bank of England should reduce interest rates, how much lower than 0.5% can they go.....

Whats needed is for lenders to pass the savings on to borrowers, borrowing at .5% and lending at 5 - 6 % +

They should pay you to borrow money, then we'd all do it and the country would be out of the hole in no time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

austin man

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Whats needed is to get Britain working reduce the expenditure from the pot and pass the savings back . Too many lazy bleeders scrouning from the benefits system and denying people in real need of help. Make employers responsible for a maximum workforce quota of None british to stop migrant workers taking the opportunities that some of our layabouts refuse to take. This isn't directed at those who really want to work or are unable too do so they should be given all the suppoirt and backing to make it happen

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Jasongray5

posted on 22/5/12 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just jump ship!
Im weathering the storm over here in Western Australia, Will return to the uk in 5-10 years when (if) it gets its act together!

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

RichardK

posted on 30/6/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you Jason?

Cheers

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 30/6/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
The financial state may be dire, but the work situation has improved, at least in my area of work.

At the end of 2008, there was next to no work. My contract ended and I couldn't find anything. I had one interview in six months and it took me another six months to get sorted properly.

Two week's ago my contract ended again (1 week's notice). During that week, I got 3 interviews lined up for the following week and during the following week turned down offers of three more.

I finished work on the Friday and had an offer of a position on the Monday.

SteveW

bj928

posted on 30/6/12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasongray5
Just jump ship!
Im weathering the storm over here in Western Australia, Will return to the uk in 5-10 years when (if) it gets its act together!

funny that, i did the same, but i've gone to america, money is better than i could earn in uk s well, if anyone wants to drive an 18 wheeler in america let me know, can sort it, about 8 months a year, but earn the same as a year in the uk

vanepico

posted on 30/6/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
make cannabis legal and tax it, problem solved, and people would go to amsterdam less!

Pete

coyoteboy

posted on 30/6/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, then nothing would get done and we'd be royally screwed
vanepico

posted on 30/6/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
If everyone was stoned the government would be rich! Think of how many students there are out there! I think it is considered like alcohol, you don't have a beer in the morning do you? You have it after a hard days work!
coyoteboy

posted on 30/6/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
You've triggered the irritation in me now Most of the students I know (and that's a fair few having been at uni nearly a decade, then working there!) have never touched it, though one or two do of course, because generally it didn't work so well with gaining a good, complex and worthy engineering qualification. All the friends I know who have used more than a couple of times it became seriously antisocial people to be around and were eventually dropped from the group and have only come back to normal when they left that side of their life behind, not through being forced out but by changing personality massively. All the folk who I knew at uni who used it regularly now don't work in their qualifications/skillset, most of them were arts students who had the time to be wasted in a corner of a coffee shop and are suitably similarly employed now.

I'd venture to say that if it were legalised and taxed most people still wouldn't touch it (no-one likes smoking anyway these days, everyone knows it makes you stink and kills you) and the NHS would pick up a greater bill for mental health issues from the minority that would smoke themselves silly on it. Everyone I ever knew that took the "it's only one or two at a weekend" lost that idea somewhere along the line and are only starting to recover normality around the age of 30.

It's about time society took the view that finding ways to cope with our oh so difficult 1st world life should not include medication and self-numbing with drugs (including alcohol), the place would be notably better and I dare say people would be happier on the whole.

rant over

[Edited on 30/6/12 by coyoteboy]

vanepico

posted on 30/6/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
There are people who binge on alcohol. It starts as 'the odd one or two pints at the weekend' as well. Maybe, because it is illegal, you do it in your house, and so are not open to people saying you've had too much and you keep going. I don't like it really, I would rather stay moderately in control of my body :p I have to say It has made me drink less too!

Considering people will happily pay £20 for a gram, which turns out to be mostly water, even if it was less the government would still be rolling in it! We pay £3 for a pint of strongbow in St Albans for god sake!

coyoteboy

posted on 30/6/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's criminal for strongbow!
Jasongray5

posted on 1/7/12 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Farming 160k's south east of perth, a little place called Quindanning!
Hows Freo?

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Cheers

R

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Found this today, and it's very relevant to this discussion:

Matthew Parris explains why we’re in the state we’re in…

“We have been living beyond our means. We have been paying ourselves more than our efforts were earning. We sought political leaders who would assure us that the good times would never end and that the centuries of boom and bust were over; and we voted for those who offered that assurance. We sought credit for which we had no security and we gave our business to the banks that advertised it. We wanted higher exam grades for our children and were rewarded with politicians prepared to supply them by lowering exam standards. We wanted free and better health care and demanded chancellors who paid for it without putting up our taxes. We wanted salacious stories in our newspapers and bought the papers that broke the rules to provide them. And now we whimper and snarl at MPs, bankers and journalists. Fair enough, my friends, but, you know, we really are all in this together.”

coyoteboy

posted on 1/7/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
"We" in that part doesn't include everyone though.
David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect that he meant "We" as in "This country". I don't think he's far wrong.

Individually we may have been living within our means, but as a country...

RK

posted on 1/7/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Coyoteboy, in all the comments you've made on here, I could not agree more. I can't say those things for fear of total ostrasisation (sp?). I am a weirdo for not drinking/doping etc. My garage, my wife, my dog, are all I need. Well, that and the 7, but that's just an addiction and I don't really WANT it, I just need it. And no, I can't quit anytime, apparently.
RichardK

posted on 2/7/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasongray5
Farming 160k's south east of perth, a little place called Quindanning!
Hows Freo?

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Cheers

R

Been pretty close at the gold mine at Bodds, lost the account now so will be pulling the kit out soon, still going to worzley though.

You live in a beautiful place, very jealous.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.