Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil cooler on tiger super 6 help needed
Mumbles

posted on 24/5/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler on tiger super 6 help needed

Took the tiger on it's first trackday session a month ago. Awesome time but...

It's a tiger super 6 with a 2.0 zetec with an ERA sump which I was under the impression would be suitable for trackday use. However, I appear to have suffered oil surge and it's gone pop. (Angelsey long fast right hander was too much for it!). Luckily only went at the end of the day so got a full day of fun first.

I'm now upgrading to a raceline wet sump kit and also wanting to fit an oil cooler as even when being driven hard the oil gets quite hot. Up around 120-130. Peaked at 140 at Angelsey after the occurrence!
I'm thinking of a 115mm 13 row MOCAL oil cooler. The main problem I think I will come across is fitting the sandwich plate to feed the cooler and then fitting the oil filter as this will foul as currently there is no sandwich plate and I have to use the stubby oil filters (guessing this is not just a tiger thing and other 7 style cars have this arrangement) as the standard zetec filter is too deep.

Has anyone fitted an oil cooler and did they have to relocate the oil filter? Just want to get a look at some pictures if people have this set up so i can plan brackets i need to make and a sensible plubing route. Or an alternative solution?

Any suggestions or photos would be very helpful.

Thanks

Matt

catman

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Exactley the same happened in my 1st race, angelsy, ERA bang!!!! i now have the raceline sump, nice bit of kit. Raceline water rail and i have an oil cooler. First i would Look at your Rad. I had a polo one with the oil cooler, it was still too hot so now i run a radtech race rad and its too cold!!! i now blank half of it off unless its a hot day! My advice would be to upgrade the rad before you get an oil cooler.

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

Mumbles

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ed,
Thought a few others might have done the same at Angelsey.

I did think that it might be a water temp issue causing all the problems but the water temp sits at 85-90 even on a hot day. Even fitted a new sender and gauge as I thought it must be a false reading if the oil was getting so hot yet the water was normal.

Would oil surge cause the temp to shoot up? But even without surge the oil still gets very hot. Or could it be water pump? I'm not a mechanic so having to learn quite quickly.

Also on the to do list is a new oil temp and pressure gauge as I'm not 100% confident in the ETB digi dash. Surely a reading of 140 on oil temp would give a greater reading than 90 on the water temp.
Don't want to upgrade rad and then make it run too cold, or is it not possible to have the water run at 70ish and the oil be over 110?

Sorry for 101 questions but I'm confused

jeffw

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Normal running (on a trackday) in my zetec engined Phoenix (with Polo rad and oil cooler) is 90-94 deg C water and 85-95 oil. 140 is well over the top. I take it you have changed oil ? What spec oil are you running as it should be 5w30? I use Motul 5w30 in the Phoenix.

mazie

posted on 24/5/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I went for a scholar Shortened and baffled sump, cheaper option and it's a pukka job too but you will need to send them a standard 2.0 sump or pay a surcharge. Not suffered any oil surge on trackdays and it's getting a lot of stick too. I fitted a sump sender for the oil, doesn't suffer heat soak from the block so gives more of an accurate reading, without an oil cooler it didn't pass the 90-95 degree mark, but that's not been the summer so I'll wait to see what that brings.
djtom

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the ERA sump is worse than useless - it's shortened (so it holds less oil), but it's not baffled at all so you are extremely likely to get surge (as you have found out!). The Racetech one will be a lot better.

I've fitted an oil cooler to my Zetec Turbo Super Six as the oil was getting a bit warm when being beasted on trackdays. I used a slightly shorter oil filter and a Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, which appears to work well.

No clearance problems, but I have moved my engine back by 150mm and sideways by 100mm so it's not particularly representative of a standard chassis I'm afraid. Still, I could sort out some pics if it would help?

Tom

Mumbles

posted on 25/5/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I was lead to believe that the ERA sump was an upgraded one and should be ok for the odd track day but if racing the race line is the way to go. I was using 5w30 Fuchs oil so should have been ok with it.

Think I'll just have to buy a sandwich plate oil cooler and go from there to see if i can fit the filter in or need a blanking plate and relocate it.

One other question... Will I need an uprated oil pump when I've fitted the oil cooler as it's got to push it further/through more obstacles?

Cheers for the help guys.

jeffw

posted on 25/5/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Stock pump is fine. They do say that the plastic cogs in the pump fail if you take the engine much above 7500rpm often. I'm still running the stock pump after 7000miles and I have used a redline of 8K...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.