Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help fireblade westy wont work
firebladetim

posted on 28/5/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
help fireblade westy wont work

hello all
i have recently got a westfield megablade and have got some running problems with it.
When i first got it it run was quick but wasnt running at its best,on my third trip out in it i had gone about 3miles and it started to slow and drive like it was running 2/3 cyl and then stopped all together,when it cooled down it started but didnt run well,after changing coils,plugs,leads,and having the carbs cleaned tuned and balanced it runs fine in the drive way,went out to test it got about 1 mile and had very little power and then did same thing and stopped and this time didnt want to start again and still wont start even when cold,does anyone have any ideas what it mite be any help would be great thanks

maccmike

posted on 28/5/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I dont know if ones fitted but had very similar experience with my zzr, turnt out it was fuel pump relay.
MK9R

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the fuel is coming through? if using the standard blade pump the points get corroded and the pump doesnt work properly. Check fuel first and let us know, then we can suggest other routes

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
has it ever run correctly?
Fuel pump/filter?
Test by removing pipe at the carbs, should fill a milkbottle quickly.

What air filter are you running?
is it jetted to suit?
Do you have a choke set up on it to start from cold?

My starters for 10

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

firebladetim

posted on 28/5/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the responce guys
right its a 893 carbs,westfield sausage filter,i just took the the fuel line off from after the regulator turned on pump and it just dribbles out,then did it b4 regulator and it comes out much quicker is this normal,could it be the regulator is not set right,what sort off fuel presure should i have to feed the carbs,i have a gauge so could check this cheers tim

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/5/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like fuel issue to me aswell, might be worth putting your location on your profile, someone local to you might pop round to hve a look at with you.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

ReMan

posted on 28/5/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
So you are using a fuel pump and a seperate pressuer regulator?

Whilst some have this set up and get it working, most find that a suitable bike pump with it's own built in regulation is most effective /reliable .

PS the dribbling does not sound good and suspect that is not enought for real driving

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

fesycresy

posted on 28/5/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Although my money is on fuel too, I had a similar problem in a tin top. Turned out to be the coils breaking down.

Also had a Maico that would tick over and rev the the moon at standstill, but would splutter when ridden.

Found the cut off switch wire earthing against the forks, the wind was blowing it back!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

MK9R

posted on 28/5/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the standard bike pump, I.e. Round cyclinfer thing with a black end cap? If so these are self regulating. The dribble doesnt sound good!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
firebladetim

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
what fuel pressure should i run at the carbs
daviep

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by firebladetim

As the above posts don't fanny about with an aftermarket fuel pump and regulators they generally cause nothing but grieff.
Get the standard pump which is self regulating and looks like this

You can use a pump from any carbed bike of around the same size, zzr1100 pumps tend to be cheap and readily available on ebay for less than £30

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

PAUL FISHER

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by firebladetim

Only around 3 psi

kjouk

posted on 28/5/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need much pressure, a few psi is enough, does need to deliver ~1 liter/min to carbs though.

I would be checking the coil HT leads/connections even if they have been replaced, they have a habit of breaking down and creating bad connections. Also check plugs to see if its been over fueling and fowled them up.

firebladetim

posted on 28/5/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys thanks for your help
firebladetim

posted on 29/5/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
iv been reading about reg/rec getting hot on fireblades,mine does too so will move it and put a fan on, but would this be the problem as it seems to run worse when it gets hot,some one i spoke to seems to think it wouldnt effect the running of the engine but have seen other post that say it mite,any ideas cheers
daviep

posted on 29/5/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
If the rectifier pops then you stop charging the battery, if this happens when you are driving then you will develop a misfire as the battery goes flat due to the battery not having enough juice to create a good spark.

I'd be pretty confident that you identified the problem when you found that fuel "dribbled" out of the regulator.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

firebladetim

posted on 29/5/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
think your right davie,will give the bike pump thing a go cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.