Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Danny K's car big blow up at Oulton
PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/6/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Danny K's car big blow up at Oulton

Dannys not having much luck with engines this season, 2nd one this year, this one went in a big way at his last race at Oulton, con rod through the side of the block on his Dry sumped 1340 busa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klDLSDJhlGs

loggyboy

posted on 1/6/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Some close racing there. Whats the funny hand wave when changing gears all about?!? lol

Mistral Motorsport

steve m

posted on 1/6/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
It sounded a bit rattly at 07.17

and that noise would drive me nuts after 10 mins

Steve

twybrow

posted on 1/6/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch...! That did sound expensive! Did he find a cause?
PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/6/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I thought I could here a rattle from early on in the video, and the problem is they can't find the cause, as said its the second time this year on a dry sump set up he's blown the engine, at £3500 each its getting expensive, so they need to get to the bottom of it, last couple of years he's had a billet swing sump set up and not had any major problems, he's gone for dry sump as a belt and braces job, but for what ever reason its not working
snakebelly

posted on 1/6/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
glad its not just me, i thought it sounded a bit "big endy" from the start but wasnt sure what a healthy one sounded like to compare with.
franky

posted on 1/6/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I feel for him+his wallet. Looks like another CEC convert.
kjouk

posted on 1/6/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
There is something that sounds like a gear change but isn't just before it blows. Not sure what that is but very odd, like it's jumped a gear. Wonder if lost oil pressure at that point.
Steve Hignett

posted on 1/6/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you Danny............
franky

posted on 1/6/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
If the engines out of a crash damaged bike it makes it harder to find the reason, was the bike running on its side etc? Plenty of engines get sold as being good runners, when they've not turned a stroke since the bike was damaged.

In an ideal and expensive world he'd have a full strip down and rebuild carried out, if it still goes bang then he'll have a good engine to start looking at without the question marks over its original condition.

I can only imagine how annoying and expensive it all gets.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 1/6/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
That Engine was "chappin" its brains out on the run up the pit lane from the off, and to be honest if whoever was driving/supporting in the pits didn't realize that, that engine was already sick, then I have no sympathy for the expense, that car should have been in the workshop having major investigative surgery on its engine.

not having its nuts thrashed off round a track.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Andy B

posted on 1/6/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Hector, big end rattle is definitely there from the off and gets less severe as revs bring up oil pressure and starts to float the crank. Rattle creeps back through the low speed stuff and there is a definate change in engine note right before the yellow 7 gets overtaken, probably the last of the shell going. Problem is what is causing the failures, lack of pressure, lack of flow, bent cranks, tight shells the list goes on. One thought is what parts of the install got replaced after last blow up, I have lost count of how many good engines have been taken out by debris from previous blow ups, we don't even try and clean oil coolers any more.
Regards to all
Andy

coyoteboy

posted on 1/6/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thought it was just me that could hear that sounding a bit unhappy at low revs from the word go. At 3500 quid a time it must be seriously painful to not be able to spot what seems to be an unhealthy sounding engine! I feel for him!
zilspeed

posted on 1/6/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
That engine sound horrible from the word go, doesn't it ?
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 1/6/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
One thought is what parts of the install got replaced after last blow up, I have lost count of how many good engines have been taken out by debris from previous blow ups, we don't even try and clean oil coolers any more.

Agreed, I cringe when I see guys having spent thousands and thousands on an engine then go and stuff a second hand ebay special, oil cooler on the front of it, then wonder why it went pop !!

As Andy Says the big question is to get to the bottom why the failures are occurring in the first place, at this point the person in charge of undertaking the rebuild(s), needs to examine EVERY component associated with circulation of lubricant (and every other component) with an almost perverse level of attention to detail and cleanliness.

I hope the owner gets to the bottom of the problem once and for all.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
That engine sound horrible from the word go, doesn't it ?

Glad it's not just me then!

I thought it sounded very sick as he accelerated out of the pits but the engine lasted an impressive length of time if that really was the bottom end from the start.

RK

posted on 1/6/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have utmost sympathy for wrecked engines... The hassle is a right pain, even without the expense.
austin man

posted on 2/6/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to MK today, the engine that blew is not one thats been in a bike thats been dropped or raced before the engine was a totally new so had not been fitted to anything. Its was dry sumped to improve its lubrication etc. There appears to have been a problem with oil starvation on one of the rods leading to a meltdown of the rod I will try and upload a picture later. The noise that can be heard from the start is something to do with the airbox. Danny is on the lookout for another engine at the minute they are a bit scarce I understand. He is due to race in a couple of weeks at Anglessy

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
The noise that can be heard from the start is something to do with the airbox.

Im Sorry but that is complete and utter horse manure.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.