Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finishing a few jobs and need some advice
parkiboy

posted on 2/6/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Finishing a few jobs and need some advice

Hi, im finishing a few electrical jobs on the car to get it ready for the IVA and want some advice,

1/ What is the best route to take the cables to the side repeaters on the front wings/mud guards to keep them as hidden as possible?
2/ MK are fitting me a fuel sender as i dont know where the baffles etc are but i am throwing the wires in, what is the best place to ground it? Will i get a good ground if i just bolt a ground to the chassis?

thanks for reading

[Edited on 2/6/12 by parkiboy]

Davegtst

posted on 2/6/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I ran 25mm conduit underneath the o/s top chasis rail then all the wiring though that. My fuel sensor is grounded with a bolt on part of the chasis and works fine.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/6/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I used Tiger Seal to stick tie-wrap holders to the underside of the wings, taped up the wiring and then covered it with a decent thickness of cable conduit to help protect the wiring from stones etc. Tie-wrapped to the clips and the upper wishbones. Looks nice and neat and should hold fine.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

stevegough

posted on 3/6/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
Hi, im finishing a few electrical jobs on the car to get it ready for the IVA and want some advice,

1/ What is the best route to take the cables to the side repeaters on the front wings/mud guards to keep them as hidden as possible?

My side repeaters are on the rear arches - as I was going to coat everything with CBS 'Wunderseal' protective coating. I simply attached the wires with duct tape first, then 'Wundersealed' over the tape + wires. Its fine.

2/ MK are fitting me a fuel sender as i dont know where the baffles etc are but i am throwing the wires in, what is the best place to ground it? Will i get a good ground if i just bolt a ground to the chassis?

Why can't you fit your own sender? use a mirror to find the baffles! You then have 2 wires - one to the sender and a ground - earthing it to the chassis is the normal way, you also need to earth the tank itself. Don't forget to cleanoff the powder coat at any earthing point.

thanks for reading

Hope this helps.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

parkiboy

posted on 3/6/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well the car is going to mk anyway for a pre iva checkup and to get the emissions set up so figured Id just let them do it!

I currently have another problem, I have moved the side repeaters from the side of the car too the front wings/mudguards but now the indicators are flashing very quickly however hazards are flashing at the correct speed. Any idea why this could be?

[Edited on 3/6/12 by parkiboy]

parkiboy

posted on 3/6/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Any body Have any idea about the side repeaters? It's the only job i have outstanding now can't understand why they aren't flashing correctly when indicating yet are fine when using hazards
Slimy38

posted on 3/6/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
To me that suggests an earthing fault, although I have to admit I don't fully understand why it doesn't affect the hazards.

I take it all three on each side are actually flashing with the indicators? If you apply the brakes or turn the lights on does it drop to normal speed?

parkiboy

posted on 3/6/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes all three or flashing on each side with the indicators and all 6 flash with the hazards. I have not tried that I will try that tomorrow, if it does do slow down what would this mean? I would have thought if it was a bad earth it would do it withe the hazards too? But I don't know bugger all about car electrics really.

Thanks

Pezza

posted on 4/6/12 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Are they LED side repeaters?
We had this issue, fitted resistors to the repeaters and that bought the flash rate down.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

parkiboy

posted on 4/6/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
No they are not, they were working before I moved them so I can't understand it
A1

posted on 4/6/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Is it not cause the hazards are powering 6 lamps, the inds only 3... its something to do with that that i cant think right now, but makes it flash quicker. same as if you had an earth fault/ f*cked bulb

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.