Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mini reverse and fog light
pekwah1

posted on 5/6/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mini reverse and fog light

Hi Guys,

So have noticed this reverse/fog light on the new mini, think it would work quite well on the kit car...
Anyway have any idea where i could get one?

Cheers,
andy

blakep82

posted on 5/6/12 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
you could get one from a mini
or more helpful would be (and not common YET) www.partsgateway.co.uk which is like a breakers site. you put what you want, and the breakers they deal with come back with quotes, always cheap and good quality when i've used them
fingers crossed there'll be a few front end crashed minis now lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

pekwah1

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
well i've found one from a breaker...
He wants £35 which i don't think is too bad.

Question i have is is this going to be ok for IVA?
I know stuff has to be E and F marked, i assume stuff coming off cars generally is?
Also, if i stick this right in the middle at the bottom of my rear clam, will it dimensionally be ok for IVA?

blakep82

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think most things in IVA say it has to be E marked or if its not, show that it meets the specifications required. if you show its from the latest mini, then its ok
should be fine, you just need to know it can be mounted directly in the centre

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

snowy2

posted on 6/6/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use these on my car (well the ones with out reversing light) a bit of a hassle to fit to your car because of the curved shape but worth it. mine are fittrd rotated by 90° much nicer.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Pezza

posted on 7/6/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure it's vertical too. The tester was quite keen on that and the required markings at IVA.
And you'll probably end up with the same bloke now he's moved to Guildford.
*edit* make sure it meets minimum height reqs too.

[Edited on 7-6-12 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

snowy2

posted on 8/6/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
Make sure it's vertical too. The tester was quite keen on that and the required markings at IVA.
And you'll probably end up with the same bloke now he's moved to Guildford.
*edit* make sure it meets minimum height reqs too.

[Edited on 7-6-12 by Pezza]

are you sure? I have looked into this point quite carefully and have been informed that there is no requirement for the markings on any approved lamp to be horizontal to the road. The only requirements relate to being marked and the overall position on the vehicle (height and visibility) my rear lights are those shown above and they lie down (90° rotated)
There are many cars where the markings on the lens are not as you say. an obvious one would be the old mini and land rover round light lenses, these can actually vibrate and move 360° in a simple trip to the local shops. i am confident your IVA inspector is incorect in insisting the markings be horizontal to the road.

Pezza

posted on 8/6/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry didn't explain myself very well.
It was the lense that needs to be vertical, not the markings.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

pekwah1

posted on 8/6/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
what do you mean with the lens being vertical?
Do you just mean not at an angle so it's pointing at the ground or sky?

iank

posted on 8/6/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
what do you mean with the lens being vertical?
Do you just mean not at an angle so it's pointing at the ground or sky?

Yes fog light needs to point straight back, on a fog with a flat lens it will be at exactly 90degrees to the road - i.e. vertical.
Fog light also needs an F mark to prove it's designed to be a fog light.

Saying an IVA rule interpretation isn't right using a classic mini or landrover is a weak argument BTW as neither could pass either SVA or IVA without a serious modification programme.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

snowy2

posted on 9/6/12 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
The point i was trying to make was in argument to your admittedly poorly put argument ;-) (mine as well as it turns out) to surmise....
the actual light can be fitted to the car in any orientation but the reflector has to be at the correct angle to the road surface to ensure correct angles of visibility. So if you choose to fit the light housing "upside down" that is ok (the point i was trying to make....poorly) but the positioning of the lamp is important, height and visibility.....of which orientation of the lens/reflector would form part.

snowy2

posted on 9/6/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
Hi Guys,

So have noticed this reverse/fog light on the new mini, think it would work quite well on the kit car...
Anyway have any idea where i could get one?

Cheers,
andy

I got these for my favourite car from a car boot sale for a pound each! not the best option i know i also got a pair given to me by some one who fitted "angle eyes" to his mini. (i wish i was as lucky with the lottery) I have priced them up and they £100 a light unit from BMW, way way too much.

pekwah1

posted on 9/6/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Oh ok, I was actually talking about the light at the bottom of the bumper which looks like it has the fog and reverse lights in it...
snowy2

posted on 10/6/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
never noticed them at first :-)
weird as the main lights also have small reversing lights in them......(thought of changing mine for them....)

pekwah1

posted on 10/6/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think they changed the design. Previous to 2011 it had just a fog light at the bottom of the bumper and reverse lights in the clusters.
2011 ones have the reverse with the fog light and was removed from main cluster

Pezza

posted on 10/6/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks a nice neat solution
Gimme a shout if you want to pick my brains or need a hand with anything with it Andy, i'm only just down the road.

pekwah1

posted on 10/6/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
cheers pez,

yeh might need a hand with wiring...
Gonna stick a new post up soon about it anyway so might ask for some help after that...!

coyoteboy

posted on 13/6/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't surprise me if they did specify direction of the lens/e-marking as there will be beam pattern issues with the lights as well as the mentioned reflectors.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.