Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: very stupid question

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
very stupid question

this is probably a very stupid question but i'll ask it anyway with the chance of being banned from this forum forever!

I'm about to tackle the steering upset for my single seat Gocost (Go-kart/Locost) car.
Obviously the best option would be to go for one of those expencive rack and pinion units available for off road buggy's-monoposto race cars etc..i.e. a very short housing with the steering wheel shaft input in the center of this housing.
As said before those units are rather expencive and i have to import them from the U.S. or the UK.
Now my very stupid question is:do i really need a rack and pinion for such a light weigth car or would it be possible to go for a go-kart approach and use a drop link arrangement.
I think i understand the possible disadvantages for a go-kart steering approach but can somebody explain this,bearing in mind that my car is intended to use for hillclimbs and is probably half the weigth of a Locost.
Thanks for wasting your time on this

Tblue

posted on 4/9/04 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Works for Quads, why not on your car? You might need a bigger wheel to get enough leverage, or like a quad, handlebars!

[Edited on 4/9/04 by Tblue]

JoelP

posted on 4/9/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
i believe that a drop link system will work fine. Just makes for rather direct steering, but this is good provided the weight is low enough to keep the steering manageable. Ackerman still works fine on these systems.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Spyderman

posted on 4/9/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of using a VW Beetle steering box?
This could be mounted centrally or where required. The arms can be made to suit.

Just another option!

Terry

Spyderman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.