Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stupid Question Alert! - De Dion
Chris Green

posted on 4/9/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Stupid Question Alert! - De Dion

ok, I'm a bit of a novice to all this stuff, so bear with me!

What is a De Dion? I hear the name popping up all the time, but can't find info on them anywhere?

The search engines just direct me to dax if I search for De Dion?

Thanks a lot!

Chris.

chrisg

posted on 4/9/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
It's a cross between a live axle and an independant set-up.

You have the trailing arms as in the book connected to a tube axle and hubs.

The differential is attached to the chassis and the drive shafts do not run inside the tube.

The axle is usually kinked backwards to avoid the diff.

I'll try to find a picture.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Mikey G

posted on 4/9/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
It combines the advantages of Liveaxle setup with IRS unsprung weight as the diff is in a fixed position.
A live axle can be bouncy and skittish over rough surfaces as it is a very heavy item, it wants to do its own thing then! but the DeDion setup puts less load on springs and dampers to keep your rear driving wheels on the ground and in contact with the black stuff

Mikey G

posted on 4/9/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Found a piccy

Mike

carcentric

posted on 4/9/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there usually a sleeve in the crosstube somewhere that allows changes in rear track width as one or both wheels move up and down?

Some folks have said the rear suspension on my hardtail CX500 trike project is deDion, but it's different in these ways:
- it starts with a swing axle rather than IRS,
- the differential, as well as hub uprights, is bolted to crosstube,
- wheels are no longer allowed to move up and down independently (it works just like a live axle), and
- it doesn't sound or smell French.

http://www.carcentric.com/CX500trike.htm

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Mikey G

posted on 5/9/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carcentric
Isn't there usually a sleeve in the crosstube somewhere that allows changes in rear track width as one or both wheels move up and down?

Dedion is a fixed track width just like a live axle, the angle change of the driveshafts during suspension movement means that something has to move in and out, sliding joints are built into the inner joints of the sierra driveshafts

Mike

craig1410

posted on 5/9/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I have a section on my website describing the de-dion axle including a set of plans to allow you to build your own. You will also find many references to it in my build diary.

My webste is here

Cheers,
Craig.

Chris Green

posted on 5/9/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey G
It combines the advantages of Liveaxle setup with IRS unsprung weight as the diff is in a fixed position.
A live axle can be bouncy and skittish over rough surfaces as it is a very heavy item, it wants to do its own thing then! but the DeDion setup puts less load on springs and dampers to keep your rear driving wheels on the ground and in contact with the black stuff

thank you for the replies everyone.

Mikey, what are the advantages of a live axle?

also, does "de dion" actually mean anything, is it an abreviation? where did it originate?

Cheers,

Chris.

Mikey G

posted on 5/9/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Green

thank you for the replies everyone.

Mikey, what are the advantages of a live axle?

also, does "de dion" actually mean anything, is it an abreviation? where did it originate?

Cheers,

Chris.

Dont know what Dedion means
the only advantage a live axle really has is simplicity. you have no complicated geometry to work out compared to an IRS setup. someone mentioned a Live axle is also lighter than the others but i cant see that.

Mike

carcentric

posted on 5/9/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Advantage of being live

In a trike, a live axle has the advantage of resisting outward lean that would be enhanced by IRS rear suspensions.

For trikes based on bikes, at least, it's bad enough not being able to lean into corners anymore, but an IRS actually makes you lean out!

Jules-Félix-Philippe-Albert de Dion de Malfiance was a French inventor in the mid-1850's. (BTW: Wouldn't Malfiance translate roughly into "unacceptable girlfriend?"

[Edited on 5/9/04 by carcentric]

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

skinny

posted on 6/9/04 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
the main advantage is simply unsprung weight reduction (as was said a little earlier i think) - with a live axle, the whole diff and axle casing etc are all sprung, but with de dion, the diff is solidly mounted to the chassis and so not included in the sprung weight. this essentially means that the suspension has less intertia and can react more quickly to bumps etc.

also, i think it offers advantages in keeping constant camber and track width

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

craig1410

posted on 6/9/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinny
with a live axle, the whole diff and axle casing etc are all sprung

I think you meant "unsprung" here didn't you?

Cheers,
Craig.

Mikey G

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Cheers,
Craig.

I think he means 'sprung' as in the whole unit is sprung to the car whereas the Dedion setup only the tube and carriers are sprung and the diff is rigid i.e 'unsprung'

Mike

craig1410

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mikey,
I don't think so.

"Unsprung mass" is that mass which is not on the chassis side of the springs. We always aim to reduce unsprung mass by reducing the mass of things like wheels, tyres, hubs, axle, driveshafts, brakes etc. I think he knew what he meant but his fingers typed the wrong word. I just wanted to clarify the point to avoid confusion - looks like I did a great job too!!

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 6/9/2004 by craig1410]

Mikey G

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
lol, now youve confused me
I did mention earlier that a dedion setup was a way of reducing 'unsprung weight' so i knew what i was on about "but i was just trying to clarify/confuse the situation further"

I'll leave now

Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Dedion is a fixed track width just like a live axle, the angle change of the driveshafts during suspension movement means that something has to move in and out, sliding joints are built into the inner joints of the sierra driveshafts

Mike

Unless it's a Rover P6 where the axle uses fixed length driveshafts and the De-dion tube itself has a sliding joint! Barking mad idea.

stressy

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle IS the lightest

Hi Chris

Ive sai dit before and i will say it again. A live axle set up will normally result in the lightest car by some margin, however it is all mass bouncing around unsprung and so on a buimpy road traction is (if done correctly) improved by going fully independant. A de dion is the half way house, the constant relationship of hte back wheelswill allow you to get the gar in the groove easily and confidently but the reduced unsprung mass can better handling on the bumps.

dedion can offer better traction in terms of torque distribution to both rear wheels, however on th flip side a live axle can be made with clever adjustable links to produce some superb traction.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s youll find some weight on one of my previous posts. home builder will find it hard to match the dedion weight ive qouted tho.

stressy

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go

repeating a previous post......

live axle vs dedion vs irs

Having considered this in the past i came up with the following which you may find helpful. The numbers are from my own measurements and calculations plus other peoples supplied info, so accuracy is not 100%.

live axle
axle casing inc brackets, standard diff, trailing and lateral links, coilovers, prop, brakes.
unsprung 56kg / sprung 7kg / total 63kg

dedion
std diff, trailing links, coilovers,lateral linkage, disc brakes and calipers,driveshafts and joints (narrow), propshaft, dedion tube an alloy ears
unsprung 37kg / sprung 37kg / total total 74kg

IRS
std diff, driveshafts, hubs/uprights(alloy), wisbones (std bushes), brakes, coilovers, propshaft, additional chassis work
unsprung 37kg / spung 46kg / total 83kg

Hopefully this is of some help.

The hanging masses such as shox etc are assumed 50% sprung and unsprung.

It will be worth noting that the live axle has drums not discs so could be deemed as not like for like but i didnt have the opportunity to get data for drums from a seirra for comparison.

Marcus

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
De Dion - the name comes from a French bloke who made cars in the early 1900s, the De Dion Bouton being one of them, so it's not exactly a new idea!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skinny

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Cheers,
Craig.

I think he means 'sprung' as in the whole unit is sprung to the car whereas the Dedion setup only the tube and carriers are sprung and the diff is rigid i.e 'unsprung'

Mike

whoops , yes i meant that de-dion reduces unsprung weight - the bits that dangle off the car are lighter

if you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
In a trike, a live axle has the advantage of resisting outward lean that would be enhanced by IRS rear suspensions.

That's not strictly true, body roll is not automaticaly greater on an IRS design compared to a live axle. The points that determine this are the relative locations of the center of gravity and the roll center. If you could move the center of gravity well below the roll center you could have a trike that leans into corners like a bike.

The only real advantage of a live axle, besides simplicity/cost is that it has perfect camber control during body roll, the relative angles of the wheels to each other remains constant. The De-dion shares this property, and betters the live axle for unsprung weight. Apart from that, the De-dion inherits all the negative aspects of the live axle.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.