Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Vinyl flooring installation guys on here?
bigandy

posted on 9/6/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Any Vinyl flooring installation guys on here?

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of converting my garage to a light duty workshop for building/repairing models mainly, nothing heavy duty at all. I've insulated the concrete floor with rigid foam insulation boards, and laid a 22mm chipboard floor over the top of it. I used some battens to support the edges, and a few in the middle where my workbenches will go.

I've now just picked up some Altro walkway 20 commercial vinyl flooring for not a lot of money, and I've been told it shouldn't really be installed on top of chipboard. Are there any flooring installers on here who might be able to advise?

The chipboard I used was the moisture resistant grade, and it is nice and flat. The shop I bought the roll end from also gave me half a tub of Balls F44 adhesive to use too, but said that I should lay a 4-6mm ply layer on top, nail it down on 200mm centres, apply the adhesive, then the vinyl.

Does this sound about right, or can I get away with applying it direct to the chipboard?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

big_l

posted on 9/6/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a carpet fitter and all sounds spot on !!

It's very stiff vinyl though I would lay it out get it as warm
As possible leave it 24hrs the roll it up the correct way so it unrolls the correct way up then
Use a grooved trowel and get plenty of glue down and make sure to push any air out once it's layed!!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

JoelP

posted on 9/6/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Needs ply, its more stable than chipboard. Screw, not nail.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.