Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet Bulges
Tim Goodwin

posted on 20/9/02 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet Bulges

Saw the message posted by Dave Jenkins and am wondering if anybody has any information reguarding bonnet bulges. I don't fancy a tupperware basin stuck on my car and somewhere out there someone must make these things.
David Jenkins

posted on 20/9/02 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't get much joy - the current plan is to make my own, unfortunately.

It's not the job that bothers me, it's the time it will take - I'm fed up of spending a lot of time on small details. I want to get this thing finished!

DJ

paulf

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
If I decide to make a bonnet bulge i am thinking along the lines of forming a mould from a ballon, my kids are always playing with them and they comein a variety of shapes and sizes that could be used to make a female plaster mould.
Paul.
quote:
Saw the message posted by Dave Jenkins and am wondering if anybody has any information reguarding bonnet bulges. I don't fancy a tupperware basin stuck on my car and somewhere out there someone must make these things.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/9/02 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
im sure i haveseen them somewhere david.

demon tweeks or summat?

Why dont you spend a few mins this saturday browsing in wh smiths at some car mags....they are one shelf down, to the right, just below the mucky mags.

As WH smiths dont sell mucky mags you can tell im joking. I wouldnt want you to leave disappointed

atb

steve

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

As WH smiths dont sell mucky mags you can tell im joking. I wouldnt want you to leave disappointed

well they do sell vauxhall mags full of novas
there just downright dirty if you ask me

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimmy

posted on 21/9/02 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rallyslag where did you get that dude on one.
He's really moving, kind of takes me back to the good ol' days...!

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
pretty cool eh?

altho my favorite avatar in my collection is hasslehoff
well i do have others but i tend to get shouted at by forum admins for using em

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If I decide to make a bonnet bulge i am thinking along the lines of forming a mould from a ballon, my kids are always playing with them and they comein a variety of shapes and sizes that could be used to make a female plaster mould.
Paul.

The trouble with using a balloon is that they tend to move under the weight of the mould making material. The idea is ok, just needs thicker material so that the air pressure is higher so the form doesn't distort

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

rallyslag

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
clay is good for making a mould from

easy to form and customise and can get a good smooth finish when covered with somthing a bit harder and sanded to take a good mould from

ewanspence

posted on 23/9/02 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of using expanding foam (easy to get) can be carved with a kitchen knife. Then a light scim of plaster of body filler.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

stevedenbigh

posted on 24/9/02 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I remember a company called Fibresports doing boonet bulges and scoops. They also do louvres, skirts, spats and wide arch kits ( I've got one of there XX-pack kits for my capri, its currently round the back of the garden shed at my parents house, as I can't afford the ten inch wide wheels/tyres I need to fill the arches out. I think I may design my own front suspension with a 6inch wider track width, and fit an axle off of a yank, together with some normal width tyres, that should look alright)
johnston

posted on 24/9/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
fibresports also did the origanal kit for the rs1700t THE best lookin rally car ever for ford still have the origanal moulds full kit is £917 inc vat

and ive never heard a bad word mentioned bout them and were very nice on the phone when i called

rallyslag

posted on 25/9/02 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
iv only heard good things about fibersports and ESP who aparently get some of there stuff from fibersports anyway

kipper

posted on 4/10/02 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
try BWE in Barnsley,they still do the LOCUST.
The 7 type with the wooden tub.the bonnet bulge for the Xflow carb might be just what you are looking for, it is a tear drop shape,made from g/fmade to firt on the alloy bonnet

geoff shep

posted on 14/1/03 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I did a search some time ago for bonnet bulges without much success - one hit who I contacted sent a reply including the picture below, which gives a fairly poor idea of what they had. Anyway, I can't remember who they were!

Just done some searching - you may want to contact these for more info?:

lemansmotorsport (well down the page under power bulge)

and motorsports (again, bottom of the page, 11, 18 and 32" bulges) Rescued attachment bulges.jpg
Rescued attachment bulges.jpg

Rorty

posted on 15/1/03 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
You could hammer form some AL sheet over one of the 38DDs when the missus is asleep!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

mdc124

posted on 19/1/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
MK have Bonnet Bulges to cover the hole needed for the use of standard 'blade engines.

www.mkengineering.co.uk - get the phone number but don't bother emailing - too busy welding i think

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/1/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I fancy clear bonnet bulges, does anyone know if this could be done at home or any company that can supply?

I would have thought some sort of thermo plastic could be used with a bit of careful heat from a heat gun and a wooden former.

Rorty

posted on 20/1/03 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I fancy clear bonnet bulges, does anyone know if this could be done at home or any company that can supply?

Someone on this list works with thermo plastics, but i can't remember who.
I do remember though, years ago, moulding something with Acrylic (Perspex). I think I emersed it in near-boiling water, before draping it over the former/mould.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

PHULL

posted on 20/1/03 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Vacume forming

I've done this b4 at school
the plasics are polycarbonate or Lexan
both of these are used in the making of
bodys for remote control cars.

I have also used this to make the whole
bodys for model solar cars,

basicly you make your bonnet bulge out of something like balsa, sand to a fine finish and give it a few good coats of dope. and sand to a fine finish again.

the vacume former is basicly a wooden box. The top of the box is perfarated, I use peg board (the stuff you hang ur tools on) and has a lip around the top of the frame. on top of the box fits a frame.
this frame is used to hold the plastic u r trying to vacume form. for small things I would double sided sticky tape it to the frame and put it in the oven. for larger things I would nail it to the frame.

To heat up the plastic I used the oven at home. I don't know or care what temp to have the oven on, basicly u take the plastic out of the frame when the plastic goes floppy in the frame.

Connect a vacume cleaner to the box u have made and heat up the plastic, positon ur bonnet bulge on top of the peg board and heat up ur plastic.

when taking the plastic out u will have to be very fast. you might need another person to switch on the vacume cleaner when u are taking the plastic out of the oven.

the rest is simple
take the frame out of the oven and push it down on top of the vacume former locing the frame on the grove round the edge of the frame, and switch the vacume on.

If u do it correctly the plastic will conform to the mould all acording to plan.

if it dosn't work and all u get is something that looks like a tent, put it into the oven and it will reset to a point...

if u have any probs give us a bell

jonti

posted on 21/1/03 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I realise I'm late to this topic and you've probably solved it by now but , unless you want a big one ( oo er missus !!) you could probaly make a bulge out of the side of an old M/Bike fuel tank.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.