Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Few years out, time for a new car but what engine?
R1 STRIKER

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Few years out, time for a new car but what engine?

Hi guys, After owning 2 strikers and a caterham with engines including 16v 4age, R1 and 1600 zetec s it was time for a break. Now with my 1st child just 8 weeks old and just rented a new house complete with garage, swmbo has given the go ahead for a new project.

Now there is something about sticking with what you know, the caterham was a an academy spec car which we raced in the 2008 academy series. This was great fun but the car was pretty basic for the money so I've decided to go for a striker.

So which engine?

I've done the bike thing and loved it, but not what I want for this car.

I have in the garage a 4.4 subaru lsd which was intended for my last striker project, so would like to use that.

1st choice is a 16v 4age tuned to approx 200 bhp, expensive, yes. But when these motors rev they just seem so right in a small sports car. Last one just had cams and made 161 bhp.

2nd choice is one I don' really know but like idea of. 2l duratec. Seem to be getting excellent power in other cars. Not sure if 4.4 diff will be suitable and not sure on height in striker, I know there are a few shortened sumps available. Don't want to use raised bonnet as it really spoils the look of the car.

Sorry if its a bit long winded. Would really like some advice having been out the sen for a while and not sure exactly what is available. Should of said, Raw are 5 mins down the road so a major factor in which car!

Thanks

Ben.

mookaloid

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Dutatec - no brainer

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

R1 STRIKER

posted on 17/6/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you're saying but its a big engine to fit in a small car, but still very tempting.

Anyone put one in a striker? apart from the super charged one raw north did a few years back. Want to stay n/a with throttle bodies.

daniel mason

posted on 17/6/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
There was a hillclimb striker at Barbon this weekend with a pug 205 1.6gti. Really small,light was built and tuned to 170bhp and he said he's never even had to put a spanner on once in7 years. It was bloody quick too! One of the fastest kits on the day. Beat all the bec's apart from the non road legal race types

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
go with the k series like mine, pick up a 160 vvc bhp engine for penuts these days, £500 on head work and you have 185+ bhp nice, and light also,

other than that i would go poss zetec if you cannot fit a duratec in,

good choice of car

R1 STRIKER

posted on 18/6/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi indy bird, I've never really been a fan of the K series. Not sure if it's just the scare stories of head gaskets or what. Strangely I have driven your car when it was 1st built. There was a major problem with the mapping at the time and don't think it was making more than 80bhp. I can see it's changed some what since then, it didn't have the tillet seats or 6 speed box etc. I think a lad in Ross on wye bought it and fitted them.

I'm watching your progress keenly.

INDY BIRD

posted on 18/6/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
ah thanks for that r1,

i can see at least i have added an extra 105bhp

It drives very well now,

Head gaskets are due to keeping the original plastic dowels and these need to be changed to steel dowels.

Also remote thermostat on the side of the head as the car was designed to heat up the water quickly for heating to come on quick, but if you maintain the fan switch in the rad it will blow gasket, if you put in remote stat by the head it registers the correct temp of the water at the engine not the rad of course thus helping it maintaining temp and saving the head gasket common prob, but only for the few that dont research it,

Cars changed a bit prob since then, i have been tryng to get details of the original builder if you have any would be gratefull???? R! striker u2u me if you do,

Thanks and good luck with the project,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.