Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Back to being greatly dependant on anyone who has a car :(
vanepico

posted on 22/6/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Back to being greatly dependant on anyone who has a car :(

So I have all my license and stuff and have for a good couple of years, but ever since I passed my parents cannot afford to have me on the insurance.

I have been on it as a temporary driver for the last 2 weeks while I am home from uni and have enjoyed making most of the family errands but now I am back to being a cycle person, which is alright in flat ol' and overly congested Portsmouth but in hilly, non bike friendly St Albans it is a nightmare!

But at last I see a light at the end of a dark, sooty 3 year long tunnel because I have a paid work placement coming up! To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Even then though, after my 20th birthday, with a fully clean license, it is £1000 to insure the bloody thing! And that is with the most pathetic 58hp 'BEAST!' I doubt you could knock over a fence with that little power!

Going from a 1.8TDI to a 1.5D, 89hp to 58hp is probably going to be interesting

So for the next few months I will have to cycle everywhere! Ho hum I will stay moderately fit :p

morcus

posted on 22/6/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's not all about power and you've got to drive some crappy cars to make better cars even more special. I've had to wait a long time to have an MX5 and going from a slab sided panda to a car with twice the power and alot better aerodynamics is incredible.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MikeR

posted on 22/6/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
my first car was a twenty year old mini 1000. you've got loads of power. at your age the key is getting around. when you get older worry about how you get around. so speaks the voice of wisdom that now has a family bus. instead of a sports car.
dlatch

posted on 22/6/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
you will love the 1.5D when it comes time to fill up
the roads are so full of traffic you don't need performance anyway 99% of the time

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr C

posted on 22/6/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
All good things come to those that wait, it sounds to me you're a sensible lad and will appreciate the freedom it will give you albeit at a cost, look after what you have and continue to be patient and sensible and your'll get there in the end.

All the best and happy motoring

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

monck

posted on 22/6/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Feel for you mate my first car was a 1.1 pug 106 and my insurance was £2,000 i was skint every month

lucky for me my dad lent me a hand and spoke to his business insurance company they quoted me £300 for me on my own policy on the same car

JoelP

posted on 22/6/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
How times have changed! I managed to get insured on an impreza when i was 20. The most important thing though is to make sure you do not crash! I managed to crash an awful lot as a lad, and it didnt help matters!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 22/6/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - reminds me of a guy at college who's parents got him an Opel Manta with a 1.8 engine.

Lets just say the car only lasted a year. After a number of crashes he ended up rolling it and his parents refused to let him have it back.

Saw him a year later and he could only just afford a Citroen AX with an 850cc motor due to the insurance.

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/6/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
So I have all my license and blah blah

I don't mean to belittle your situation, but there are plenty of people worse off than you.
Don't wish your life away - you will (very) soon be screaming for a good mpg car when you've got other bills to pay...

posted on 22/6/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so I'm an old fart, but my first car was a 15 year old Austin A35
and it cost me six weeks wages to insure third party only.

The numbers have changed now but in reality things are no different.

Cheers
Paul G

TheGiantTribble

posted on 23/6/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
My first car was a Triumph Herald (god I miss it)
all 40 (ish) horses and the airodynamics of a lumpy brick
And it's handling to die for or die because of
I was earning £95 a week and it cost £395 to insure
907 is correct the numbers have changed but things are just the same

posted on 23/6/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantTribble
My first car was a Triumph Herald (god I miss it)
all 40 (ish) horses and the airodynamics of a lumpy brick
And it's handling to die for or die because of
I was earning £95 a week and it cost £395 to insure

That was my driving school car.
They had a steering lock that was superb. You could do a 3 point turn on a cart track.

Paul G

monck

posted on 23/6/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
One point id say is good on you for getting a license Very few people around are age that i know actually have one
Stott

posted on 23/6/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGiantTribble

I agree, in 1997 my first car was, £777 to insure and I was on £35 a week at the time as an apprentice. I then moved dealerships and got a raise to £300 a month, I was rich!

I managed to run the car to work 5/6 days a week, maintain it, and go out sometimes too, quite how the fu I managed that seems unreal now

Pete - Kit Car Zone

posted on 23/6/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yea same here. I absolutely loved my first car and the fun that came with it. It was a rusty old 1.1 Zastava Yugo. Cost about £1000 to insure it for the first year which was about 10 times the value of the car. Had to push start it every time due to a dud starter motor I couldnt afford to replace, and had to fix the petrol sender unit each month to stop it jamming and pretending the tank was full when it was full when it was empty. But the times I had in it were absolutely fantastic and well worth the extortionate insurance and having no power.

It's well worth the wait mate and you'll love the freedom it gives you, even if you're not doing 0-60 in 3 seconds. And you'll definitely appreciate having more power as you move up through different cars.

Kit Car Zone

vanepico

posted on 25/6/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm funny, I did not get an email to say there were any responses to this! Yeah I understand I'm not the worst off, but it is still stupid how much is paid! My mum bought a mini as her first car, but for the same price she could've bought an e-type Jag! She paid £35 for insurance!

I have to say, the car is not really for driving mainly, it is something to tinker with

[Edited on 25/6/12 by vanepico]

coyoteboy

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
My first car was a 44hp 1.1 pug 205, you can still buy them, they're still pretty nice if a bit simple but they handle well and feel quick. It cost me 900 a year to insure when I was 17 (back 14 years ago!) so I won't be lamenting modern insurance costs with you but that dropped pretty damn quick. no idea what it would be like these days but it is a group 3 iirc.
Simon

posted on 25/6/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
First car 22bhp? Fiat 500! Sprayed it black with flames down the side. Fab car.

Tell you what though; when I passed my test (at 12.50pm, 22nd Sept 1983!), I said to myself "Excellent, no more cycling or walking".

Recently was discussing with a friend (now I'm 45 and a bit), that if I had a time machine, I'd go back and punch myself in the head and suggest a) carry on cycling cos when you get to 40 something, you'll struggle, b) keep running and c) don't start smoking!

I replaced the Fiat with a '73 Beetle, then a 3.5 V8 Rover SD1 (which went through £20 of petrol (yes twenty pounds) in the first weekend).

As I said to one on my fathers friends after I bought my bus, I can't stop smiling when I drive it cos it's basically a free car compared to the previous ones running expenses!

I'd carry on with the cycling if poss. Get a car when you've got money spare. Trust me, there is no rush and money not burnt in a combustion chamber will be better of saved for the time being

ATB

Simon

vanepico

posted on 25/6/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking for a 1.5D 106, preferably the newer model and in silver but I suppose you can't be picky for your first Apparently my dads first 'car' was a bedford van :p

Maybe I can get a fold up bike to keep in the boot, park out in some side road then cycle in

[Edited on 25/6/12 by vanepico]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.