Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis number & chassis plate
mark w

posted on 24/6/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis number & chassis plate

Hi guys, I know that the chassis number has to be located on the offside of the vehicle but I'm just wondering where everyone has put there's & also any tips on how not to chip the powder coating off or damaging the chassis rail? My chassis plate has manufacturers name at the top & then has MNRVORTXRT printed on it, has everyone else stamped the remaining digits or have them engraved? Cheers mark
daniel mason

posted on 24/6/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
be careful when doing the chassis number and speak to both mnr and iva first. i put mnrs number on mine and it failed for having the letter I in it. cant remember exactly but something like MNRVORTXRTIB for in board. iva tester said it should be the number1 as letter I is not allowed.

mark w

posted on 24/6/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the heads up on that as I'm sure I would have made that mistake as well, I best alter my IVA1 form as I'm sure I've put IB on that for Inboard
BigLee

posted on 24/6/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I stamped mine on a scrap of metal 4 inches long, then welded that to the diagonal rail just above and infront of the pedal box. Good job I didn't do it direct to chassis as I messed the first one up. The number was exactly as MNR gave me, but without the IB. Basically as Dan typed but with chassis 138. Out of interest, what's yours Dan?
stevegough

posted on 24/6/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful if you are stamping the chassis tubes. It can and will dent it. Certain letters stamp easier than others. Start in the middle and work outwards. I've heard it said its better to stamp a separate plate then weld it on.

Also - I failed my test by putting it under the nosecone - had to resite it. see photo.
Description
Description

[Edited on 24/6/12 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

daniel mason

posted on 25/6/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
my tester failed me for making my own plate. i riveted an engraved plate to a chassis rail but he said it needed to be a manufacturers plate. mine is 136

mark w

posted on 27/6/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, can anyone else shed any light on this?
big_l

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Usual iva inconsistency I engraved mine on the underneath of the front chassis rail
He made me make a ali plate with it on and double sided it to the bulkhead ..

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

loggyboy

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Unless Raw advise me other wise (ie they have their own) I will be buying ones of these.
I already have an engraved chassis number from that Raw put on, however as metioned above, they also foolishly put a I in it, which have since changed to a 1!
http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/iva_kit_car_plates.html

Steve, when you were failed for having it under the nose cone, was the the VIN number, or the VIN plate?

[Edited on 6/7/12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

stevegough

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Unless Raw advise me other wise (ie they have their own) I will be buying ones of these.
I already have an engraved chassis number from that Raw put on, however as metioned above, they also foolishly put a I in it, which have since changed to a 1!
http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/iva_kit_car_plates.html

Steve, when you were failed for having it under the nose cone, was the the VIN number, or the VIN plate?

[Edited on 6/7/12 by loggyboy]

It was the VIN number - I'd stamped it into the only available bit of chassis tube available on the RHS. He didn't like it there as it wasn't readily visible with the bonnet off. He suggested I made the hole in the ally footwell cover to access the rail underneath. This is what I ended up doing.

Description
Description

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

mark w

posted on 2/2/13 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Been putting this job off for quite a while now, It's about time I made a decision & did something, think I'm swaying towards engraving the chassis rail unless anybody else has got any info on this?
loggyboy

posted on 2/2/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark w
Been putting this job off for quite a while now, It's about time I made a decision & did something, think I'm swaying towards engraving the chassis rail unless anybody else has got any info on this?

Definitely the sensible route IMO as I read a thread here recently where someone failed on a stamped plate welded to the chassis as the (stupid) tester deemed it could be replaced!?

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.