Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec / DOHC dilemma
Steve&Steve

posted on 6/9/04 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec / DOHC dilemma

I have a working (v slightly smoky) 89,000mile DOHC sierra engine from my donor car.

I now have the opportunity of a 2.0 Zetec with all its ancillaries and loom, it’s a 94,000mile engine from a 1994 'L' reg mondeo. It’s from a running car driven home from auction (the guy buys mondeos at auction for spares for his taxi fleet) but I wont get to see it running as he will have removed it by then.

At £100 would I be mad not to get it? I ‘think’ I really want it but it will be tough finding somewhere to store it or should I just stick with the DOHC?

Arrrrgh decisions aren’t my strong point.

How durable are the zetec engine's? Is an engine of this vintage likely to be about dead or am I safe to assume it will carry on for a fair bit longer?

[Edited on 6/9/04 by Steve&Steve]

zilspeed

posted on 6/9/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok - I'll bite.
Zetecs are so cheap because nobody needs one. They're well durable. That's why your man is offering you that for 100 quid. Personally, if I were more local, I would take it if you weren't interested.

At 100 quid ?
Rip his arm off

Steve&Steve

posted on 6/9/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reassurance zilspeed.

I’ve organised buying it now. I’m going down to get the wiring loom air filters fuel sender etc on Wednesday and the engine will still be running then so ill get to check it out too, then collecting the engine its self the following Monday.

Tblue

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Could probably explain why there's one for sale at Simpsons Salvage for £85 (complete '95 2.0GLX Mondeo that is).
zetec

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
With modern cars we seem to be moving towards throw away cars which are scrapped because they are low value rather than worn out. The days of racks of engines and gearboxes at the breakers are gone, replaced with interiors and panels. Local BMW breakers make more from selling interiors to owners to upgrade their older low spec cars.
Steve&Steve

posted on 7/9/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah that Simpson Salvage Mondeo has been there for weeks, such is the demand for one even at £85 (Bargain).

I thought about getting it but its £120 inc delivery to here and I would still have to dispose of the shell. I’ve already got one hulk of a sierra out the back that I dunno how to get rid of!

nige

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
zetec or dohc

your original question was .... which way
to go ...........
well i had a zetec offered for £100 and
went for the dohc @ £50 .... reason... well
after carefull pros and cons and a post on
here my oppinion was it cheaper and simpler for me to go doch
nobody seams to run the zetec on stock injection , so carbs or after market t/bodies and black box add more expence

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.