Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Weld Through Primer
Chris_R

posted on 6/9/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Weld Through Primer

I'm hoping to have the chassis 95% finished within the next couple of days and would like to get something on it to prevent it from rusting. I know that I'm still gonna have the brackets and a few other bits to weld on at a later date so I thought Weld Through Primer might be an idea. I know that primer is porous and won't stop rust long-term, but I don't want to have to strip back the primer/paint when I need to weld something else to the chassis. Has anyone had any experience of this time of primer? Basically, would it be a good idea?

Cheers,

Chris.

[Edited on 6/9/04 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Any primer is designed to absorb the next coating applied to it, this includes condensation, rain water, dogs cocking its leg etc.

If you simply want to preserve the chassis until you are ready to paint for real, i thing spray wax would your best bet, a simple wipe with a parafin rag will move it, but will withstand anything!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chris_R

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers muchly. That sounds like a much better idea. Do you know of a good supplier?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twinturbo

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
A wipe over with fresh engine oil will do the trick.

But put weldthrough on just before you weld any sections you will never see again..

TT

Chris_R

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I've done with my engine block. Don't want to paint that until it's been rebored but it's rusting again in some parts. I suppose as long as you keep on top of it, it should be alright. Have oil too so there's no need to spend any cash.

binraker

posted on 8/9/04 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
go to www.cromwell.co.uk and search for hot dip. applied with a brush will protect any hunk of metal, like an engine block.

i must admit i used parifn wax from one of those big boxes of tea lights to protect drills and taps and dies and even a stanley knive when i had to leve them in a damp shed for a year or two.

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

craig1410

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I didn't have much joy with the weld through primer I bought from Halfords. It goes on fine and protects the metal fine but when you weld through it, it just forms a horrible black mess! I'm using CO2 for welding so that might not be protecting the paint as well as Argomix might but I certainly won't be using weld through primer again...

Cheers,
Craig.

Aston

posted on 8/9/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
We have this stuff called POR-15. I'm just going to paint all the parts that won't need any more welding, and finish painting once i have the suspension figured out and the brackets welded on.

If i end up having to weld another spot, i'll just grind the stuff away. It's supposed to protect the area immediatly under it, so the exposed sections will rust, but the covered parts won't.

It's expensive, but i have not heard anything but good stuff about it.

-Aston

85' Dodge Omni GLH
Project Locost

Rob Lane

posted on 10/9/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Frost's do a weld through zinc primer.

As a zinc coating that should resist rust if left.

www.frost.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 10/9/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aston
It's expensive, but i have not heard anything but good stuff about it.

Me either, but it is very pricey. Is there anywhere other than Frost that sells it?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.