Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Epoxy primer - is it DIY'able?
ChrisW

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Epoxy primer - is it DIY'able?

Just wondering if there are any painters on here that can give me an opinion on this, please

My XR2 shell is currently at a position where it's been media blasted, had all the metalwork done, and is now awaiting a first layer of paint before I do a dry build to make sure there is no more cutting and welding I want doing before 'real' paint. When it was blasted they coated it in some kind of zinc stuff that provides protection and can be welded through. It's been dry stored, but it's been a year or more now since and there are a couple of patches that are starting to show hints of orange which tells me I need to get on and get some proper paint on it.

I'm told epoxy primer is the way to go. Just scotch it back and spray. I assume the final finish doesn't matter too much as it will have to be primed and sanded flat again later.

Unfortunately funds don't permit getting this done professionally at the moment, but I don't want to leave it either in case in undoes all the good work that has been done so far.

So, is this a job I can DIY at home? I've got a big compressor and a spray gun, and done a bit of cellulose before, although not with a huge amount of success in terms of finish quality (but see above).

The big thing I haven't got is proper breathing equipment, air fed mask, etc, hence why I've only every attempted cellulose and left 2k well alone. So, what's the situation with epoxy? Is it 'safe' to do without all the breathing equipment or am I asking for trouble?

Will my normal paint gun be ok?

Any hints/tips/suggestions from someone 'in the know'?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just had our tank done in water based epoxy etch by my
Mate who runs his own paint shop, took him 10 minutes and didn't use an air fed mask just a v good quality face mask

r1_pete

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I Use this stuff Link

Excellent adhesion, quick drying and doesn't clog when dry sanded.

Oh and a decent mask.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I find the guys who sell the paint are very helpfull. I went to Autopaints nearby and got some epoxy etch primer which was easy to use with DIY equpt. I used a good resporator face mask with a carbon filter in. Paint still hanging on a few years later.
Neville Jones

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

There are two epoxies worth using. One is the marine tar epoxy they use on ships. Smelly thick stuff.

The other that I use is Awlgrip. This is the stuff that every yacht in the world(nearly) has on as a primer. Just about all the big motor yachts use it. It is THE best for your job. Hard as glass, you need to sand it between two and four days after application. After that, it's hard graft to sand it.

Marineware in Southampton are the agents, get the thinner also.

You'll need a 2mm nozzle on your gun. A £20 gun off ebay will do the job you need, along with a good respirator.(no air feeds necessary, but nice if you've got one.

That's how I've done it for more than 35 years, and still here.

Cheers,
Nev.

Peteff

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Jotun Jotamastic off ebay in various colours. They use it on boats so it must be waterproof.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. That Awlgrip sounds like the way forward.

Chris

My gaff my rules

Neville Jones

posted on 17/7/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you go with Awlgrip, Chris, just note what I said about sanding.

One day after spraying, it's still a bit cheesy, and clogs the paper. Two and three days after spraying, it is firm~hard and sandable. Over 4 days after spraying, you'll need some friends and a couple of slabs of cans.

Cheers,
Nev.

plentywahalla

posted on 17/7/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you are using Awlgrip 545 test for solvent reaction first if you are applying to a previously painted surface. We have had problems before and a quick test will save a lot of grief.

Just soak a ball of cotton wool in the reducer and tape it to the surface. if it hasn't pickled the paint in an hour so you should be OK.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

ChrisW

posted on 17/7/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
One day after spraying, it's still a bit cheesy, and clogs the paper. Two and three days after spraying, it is firm~hard and sandable. Over 4 days after spraying, you'll need some friends and a couple of slabs of cans.

I'll be handing it over to a bodyshop to do the paint 'proper', and I'd assume they'd put another few coats of primer on top anyway as the body is far from perfect. To be honest, the sanding bit is what scares me as I just don't have the eye to spot when I've sanded enough. Wish I knew someone with a bodyshop who'd perhaps let me paint the car myself but teach me along the way as bodywork is one of the things I'd like to be a lot better at!

Anyway, here's my spray gun:

Spray gun 1
Spray gun 1

spray gun 2
spray gun 2

Is it suitable? How do I know what nozzle I have? I took it apart, but the only number on it is the '0' on the face of the nozzle.

Chris

My gaff my rules

plentywahalla

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you are unsure of spraying then apply the epoxy primer with a roller and 'tip' it off with a jenny brush. You can still get a good finish and as Nev says, if you time it right the primer will sand quite easily.

Use rollers that state that they are suitable for solvent based paints or they will fall apart. This method will save you time as it is much quicker without masking and gun cleaning issues. It will also save you money as Awlgrip primers are expensive.

And ... you don't need a good eye when sanding, you need good fingers! You can feel a good finish far better than seeing one.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.