Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone put in a V4 Yamaha Vmax engine??
KFC

posted on 21/7/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone put in a V4 Yamaha Vmax engine??

As above, I would ultimately like to put in a V8 but the weight puts me off a bit. I'd like to have twin exhaust with a good sounding engine, not a 1L capacity so it would sound like a bike. The 1600cc V4 sounds good, shaft driven and with a fast sequential box! Has anyone fit one of these?

Reverse is not a problem to sort out. Think I'll go for the electric reverse motor rather than that expensive leaky reverse gearbox.

Any comments and criticism welcom!

Slimy38

posted on 21/7/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
This isn't intended as a criticism, but in general these sorts of engines aren't fitted because they're not particularly powerful or efficient compared to the average Yamaha or Kawasaki 1 litre engine. However, I'm all for people taking a different route so I say go for it!!

The only other thought is that a vmax as a donor can't be particularly cheap or easy to get hold of, again compared to 1 litre sportsbikes that are ten a penny.

I quite fancied an Aprilia V twin for precisely the same reason, not the most powerful but they sound awesome on a bike so would be even better with four wheels.

The shaft drive seems like a good start though, instead of having to muck about with flanges etc you're just mating the drive to the diff.

kipper

posted on 21/7/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think a V max would make a good bec but I have been looking at a BMW 6 cylinder bike that would fit the bill very nicely , It even has shaft drive so would fit across the engine bay with 3 pipes coming out of both sides! wouldn't that sound harmonious .
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

spiderman

posted on 21/7/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This isn't intended as a criticism, but in general these sorts of engines aren't fitted because they're not particularly powerful or efficient compared to the average Yamaha or Kawasaki 1 litre engine.

2012 Vmax 1600. 200 bhp @9000rpm, 123ft/lbs torque @6500rpm. How much power and torque do you get from a Yamaha or Kawasaki 1 litre?

Even a mid 80's 1200 version is 145 bhp @ 9000 rpm and 90lb/ft of torque @ 7500 rpm.

[Edited on 21/7/12 by spiderman]

Spider

steve m

posted on 21/7/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack, but what about goldwing 1000?
As i know were my old goldwing is, and hasnt moved since i sold it in 1989 !!
Im not interested in a stupidly fast car, just something driveable

spiderman

posted on 21/7/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Sorry to hijack, but what about goldwing 1000?
As i know were my old goldwing is, and hasnt moved since i sold it in 1989 !!
Im not interested in a stupidly fast car, just something driveable

Only 78 bhp @ 7000rpm, 61 lb/ft torque @ 5500 rpm may be a little lacklustre for my liking, plenty of other engines which would be better.
Stuart Taylor used to fit the Honda ST 1300 Pan European motor to some of his chassis.

115 bhp @ 8000 rpm
86 lb/ft @ 6500 rpm.

Spider

zilspeed

posted on 21/7/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty certain that the direction of rotation of a shaft driven bike engine (being to the left of the driven wheel) , is the opposite of what a car diff requires, those having the pinion on the opposite side of the crown wheel.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/7/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
This the shaft driven Honda goldwing 6 cylinder fitted in a MK

[img] Rescued attachment 6 cylinder.jpg
Rescued attachment 6 cylinder.jpg
[/img]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/7/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure BenB has a honda pan euro v4 or similar in his 7

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Slimy38

posted on 21/7/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
2012 Vmax 1600. 200 bhp @9000rpm, 123ft/lbs torque @6500rpm. How much power and torque do you get from a Yamaha or Kawasaki 1 litre?

Even a mid 80's 1200 version is 145 bhp @ 9000 rpm and 90lb/ft of torque @ 7500 rpm.

I stand corrected!! Although I wouldn't consider a 2012 vehicle as a donor, especially not on locostbuilders!

JC

posted on 21/7/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
If it did rotate the wrong way, could you use the diff from a S2000? I think Honda engines certainly used to turn the wrong way as well!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leeswesty

posted on 21/7/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
When i was building trike's for the trike shop we turned the dif up side down to sort the wrong way out if the engineis sitting the same way as it dose in the bike you have no problem as for vmax i d think again as i use to have aprilia rsv they sound grate and as bike pull well dont know what it be like ina car not the fastest out there but its not all about speed now triumph rocket 3 i think will do well i rode one as bike and loved it pull your arms cant say about going in car tho.

Live life to the max

Peteff

posted on 21/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
VMax gearboxes are crap in bikes so they would be even crapper in a car

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

KFC

posted on 21/7/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
VMax gearboxes are crap in bikes so they would be even crapper in a car

How are the gearboxes crap? I would like a slick gear change with flat shift.???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.