Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra rear caliper (won't) seal
charlie_pank

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
sierra rear caliper (won't) seal

After an incident that was entirely my fault, I obtained a caliper seals kit and a reconditioned sierra piston. Everything went fine transferring the piston internals across from the old one to the new one, the seal was easy to get in to the cylinder, I obtained the correct (red) grease and even managed to get the boot into the groove at the top even though the guy at the local motor factor said it was impossible (smug). I used my improvised rewind tool to get the piston all the way down then I filled the caliper via the bleed nipple using a syringe while I had it in the vice.

Once I get it back on the car though, it just pisses fluid from around the seal whenever I apply any pressure to the brake pedal. Is there some magic I'm not doing, or did I get sold a dud piston that has been ground down too far and won't make a good seal with the rubber ring in the cylinder?

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 22/7/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Are the piston seals tapered?

Meaning that there is a write way and a wrong way to insert it. If this is the case, then this could explain why your seals won't.

charlie_pank

posted on 22/7/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know for sure?

Yes, I can see how that would cause a problem, but I don't think it's tapered, it really doesn't look like it is... does anyone know for sure?
mark chandler

posted on 22/7/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have the seal in the wrong way around, the wide shoulder points in, it should look like an arrow head

[Edited on 22/7/12 by mark chandler]

mookaloid

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
More likely to be a problem with the seal at the back for the handbrake mechanism IMHO.

As you obviously are not sure about what you are doing, with a safety related item such as brake calipers I strongly feel that you should just get exchange calipers and not try to do this yourself.

Just my 2p worth

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.