Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trying to sell my car but no callers so far!
quinnj3

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Trying to sell my car but no callers so far!

Hi Guys,

Almost completely off topic here so apologies first off. (If I said the money was going towards a kit car I'd be lying. )

My Wife was looking to up size her car due to struggling with the car seat for our baby girl in her astra. We've bought a 525d recently and now need to shift the astra. I've had it posted on several free ad websites for just over a week now but I haven't received any calls. Would some of you guys be able to review the add here (Linky) and give me some advice as to what to add or take away. I have never had any bother selling any of my cars before but I've never sold one as high value or normal as this.

thanks in advance.

Jonny

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

Simon

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at Parkers guide and if I got the details right, your car's valued at

Private good £5500
Private poor £4600
P/Ex is £5000

based on 40,000, whereas yours has nearly 50% more. I'd knock a grand off your asking price. Sorry

No idea how accurate the prices on there are, but.......

ATB

Simon

mookaloid

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at what dealers are asking for a similar car - age /mileage and deduct a grand or so. buyers need an incentive to buy from you not a dealer who gives a warranty etc.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

neilp1

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take the "low mileage 57000" out straight away as a 2008 car @ 12000 per annum = 48000 average miles.Thats the first thing I'd look at!!
Just my opinion!

morcus

posted on 22/7/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got any quotes from webuy anycar or anything simillar? It's better to sell it yourself but if you really need it shifted it might be worth seeing what they're offering.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

craig1410

posted on 22/7/12 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

It sounds like others have already given some good advice on the possible reasons for the Astra not selling. I'd like to ask you about the BMW 525d if you don't mind as I've been thinking of getting one to make my 600 mile a week commute a bit more comfortable.

In general, how are you liking it? I was torn between 525d and 530d and was thinking of a post 2007 model to take advantage of the better fuel consumption and performance which came in 2007. What year and spec have you got? Any tips for a potential buyer? eg. Options to look for or avoid, common problems, anything else...

Good luck selling the Astra by the way!
Cheers,
Craig.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Hi,

It sounds like others have already given some good advice on the possible reasons for the Astra not selling. I'd like to ask you about the BMW 525d if you don't mind as I've been thinking of getting one to make my 600 mile a week commute a bit more comfortable.

In general, how are you liking it? I was torn between 525d and 530d and was thinking of a post 2007 model to take advantage of the better fuel consumption and performance which came in 2007. What year and spec have you got? Any tips for a potential buyer? eg. Options to look for or avoid, common problems, anything else...

Good luck selling the Astra by the way!
Cheers,
Craig.

The 530d is better all round.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

owelly

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the VX deaer up the road, you're way over-price. A similar car with less miles, dealer back-up, etc. Is £900 less than yours.
You need two things to sell a car: the right audience and the right price.
Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quinnj3

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies whether I wanted to hear it or not, I sort of new I was optimistic with my pricing.

When we bought the Astra it was sort of a panic buy due to the wifes car about to conk. She had been experiencing problems with her A3 for years and it got so bad and neither I or local mechanics knew what was wrong or how to fix it so we drove it to a local car supermarket to see what they could do for us. We bought the Astra because it was as new with 40K on the clock. It was very well prepped by the dealer and we knew it was a good sensible buy.

The car has been fantastic in the year and a half that we've owned it but its a bit too boring for my wife.

This has been the only car I've owned where depreciation has affected it. I don't like to keep cars too long and usually buy them good and cheap, then sell them when they reach the value I've paid for it. Hence why I'm reluctant to drop much on the Astra. I did make a mistake though, when I was scanning the ads to see what the local value is I failed to see that most of them were 3 doors. The car is absolutely mint and values in N. I are generally higher than the UK in general anyway so I'll drop to £5500 or £5400 and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

quote:

I bought a late '04 525d se with 100k. It is basically standard with 19" 'spider' alloys and some rear window tints. They come with a decent spec as standard so that doesn't really bother me. I didn't want to spend much so I was looking at the lower end of the scale. I looked at some from garages and some private. I noticed 1 common trend, all the cars had faulty parking sensors, I bought 1 without for that reason. I also noticed that they all are abused by children and families. Its very difficult to get a good car for little money. I got the best of a bad bunch as it was good inside and out but needed attention mechanically. I've spent around £350 so far with another £300 to spend to get it up to my standard, mostly on service items. But I bought £1500 below private market value.

Inlet manifolds tend to leak oil quite badly, new seals are around £45 from main stealer, I blanked off the swirl flaps (£45.00) whilst I was at it as they were showing signs of wear. Particulate filters are supposed to be a major ball ache. Most are now being by-passed. There are 2 water thermostats and both are very weak. The egr stat. and the main water stat. are around £45 and £35 respectively. Definately will need changed, main dealers don't seem to be bothering about them but I was getting 35mpg before changing and now I am getting 41mpg on the OBD. My coolant temperature also went up from averaging 60oC to 92oC. ( this can only be accessed via the on board computer by going through a few 'secret' steps or via diagnostic equipment which is what I used).

Automatic will cost a fortune pre LCI both in tax and fuel. I've driven an LCI 530d with paddle shifters. That has a very quick gear change and none of the high revving a standard auto 'box does.

I also had a lot of faults on the I drive which could only be cleared with an advanced type of diagnostic computer, luckily a friend came to the rescue and I gradually worked through all the visible faults with next to no cost to myself. Glow plug heater control modules fail regularly, these don't show on your I drive so you'll only know when your car fails to start on a cold morning. This module is available new on eBay for £70 (main dealers £120) . Again a futery job to do, some guides state dismantling the inlet manifold to get at it but I managed to change mine in 20 mins without.

General service items non oem cost me around £200 but that is all filters and 2 gal of oil. All I need to do now is change the front brake disc and pads (£150.00), fit 4 glow plugs (£40), and fit a few internal components at around £100 total. I'll also wash out the dpf for peace of mind as well.

Now that the car is in reasonable mechanical order I can relax driving it now and really enjoy the smoothness compared to my own E46 318ci sport. The car really is a wafter, very comfortable and relaxed. In 6th gear it will pull with ease from 1k rpm with no hesitancy although the big power doesn't come in until around 2.5K rpm. The car can really pull from then on to 4K+. The difference between a pre lci 525d and a 530d is probably around 30-40 bhp but the tax figures don't change and the official mpg doesn't change so its really your choice. I would have liked a 530D but these tended to be in very poor condition for my small budget.

If you have the money I'd go pre LCI as these have had a lot of the weaknesses ironed out, are cheaper to tax and easier on fuel. The build quality is supposed to have improved as well although I didn't notice any difference. The one common thing I've noticed with any BMW's that I've owned (3 so far) is that buying used they need a lot of mechanical tidying up, but once that's done there are no other cars on the road that drive like them.

Hope this helps

Jonny

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.