Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crossflow
BenBrooks

posted on 2/8/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
crossflow

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a 1600 crossflow for my Haynes Roadster and I'm aware of the different blocks - 618 and 711M. Because I'm on a bit of a budget how much worse is the 618 block than the 711M as there seems to be a significant price difference. Also, are the different blocks interchangeable? so if i got a 618 block engine can i change it at a later date for a 711m block? or should i just man up and buy the 711m block now?!

any help on the blocks and what you can do would be much appreciated!

Ben

johnwilders

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking along the same lines myself. I ran one on the road with no probs when I was a youngster, I’ve got no intention of racing it , just want a bit more than the1300. I know in my old Mk2 cortina I rebuilt the engine with a flat head, BIP pistons a cam of some sort, twin choke weber & a four branch bunch of narners and it went hell for its day. Maybe what I’m doing now is trying to relive my youth. (Sad sod). But of all my cars that was my favourite. But if you were going to drive with your foot on the floor all the time I think I would go with the stronger 711
BenBrooks

posted on 2/8/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm not going to seriously race it but thought i might try some hill climbs and sprints and inevitably in this kind of car i'm going to want to put my foot down so thanks for the advice and I'll hold off for the better block.

What kind of rev range can you expect from a fairly standard 1600. i hear they don't rev amazingly well?

Ben

johnwilders

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I cant remember how well it reved but it wasn’t standard for very long and I know it didn’t rev as freely as my present 1300
jollygreengiant

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenBrooks
Well I'm not going to seriously race it but thought i might try some hill climbs and sprints and inevitably in this kind of car i'm going to want to put my foot down so thanks for the advice and I'll hold off for the better block.

What kind of rev range can you expect from a fairly standard 1600. i hear they don't rev amazingly well?

Ben

711M block (AFAIK) is the one to go for. I had one years ago and with relatively simple mod and work they can be made to rev reliably to 8000rpm. In fact back in the early 80's I found the weakest link was the early single rail gearbox (mk3 cortina) which was around 20k miles to a full rebuild. Where as I liked rebuilding the Xflow at 40k.

spec was 1662cc, 11.0:1 compression, full race head (flat face), power max twin-cam pistons, lightened, ballanced, twin 40's, fast road/race cam, piper ladder rocker box, ....... cost me nearly £1600 back in 1980.

In my mk1 Cortina it would pull 8000rpm in top with a 3.77 diff. (top end of nearly 140 if you work it out)

Cruising at 70mph it would give me nearly 30mpg as well.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenBrooks

posted on 2/8/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the help guys. Now I just need to find one at an affordable price! which is finding more difficult than I would have liked but I'll keep looking

Ben

Simon

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not a crossflow, but surely a better option:

*BRAND NEW* Ford Zetec Engines 1.8L Black Top - 3 Available | eBay

Similar things must come along every now and then.

ATB

Simon

BenBrooks

posted on 2/8/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Not a crossflow, but surely a better option:

*BRAND NEW* Ford Zetec Engines 1.8L Black Top - 3 Available | eBay

Similar things must come along every now and then.

ATB

Simon

Yeah i did think about a zetec but i would like a crossflow for classic appeal and also they're mechanically easier than a zetec where i would really just buy an ecu and get someone else to programme it which i wasn't keen on. also, i can only see crossflow prices going up so i'm calling it an investment in the future

Ben

Nick DV

posted on 3/8/12 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben, fond memories of the good old x-flow

Try here http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-kent-crossflow-tuning-guide.html

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

D Beddows

posted on 3/8/12 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
1300 block + lotus twin cam pistons + 234 cam + lightened & balanced everything = awesome budget 'screamer' crossflow
Furyous

posted on 3/8/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 1700cc Crossflow that I need to sell, but I won't be back home until some time around December. It's got a couple of bits removed for my new engine but otherwise it's got nearly everything needed to run. It was tested at 110bhp last year.
BenBrooks

posted on 3/8/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
I have a 1700cc Crossflow that I need to sell, but I won't be back home until some time around December. It's got a couple of bits removed for my new engine but otherwise it's got nearly everything needed to run. It was tested at 110bhp last year.

Sounds brilliant how much were you wanting for that?

Ben

rusty nuts

posted on 3/8/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
There are 711 engines about . I gave a load of parts away a few months ago, enough to build a complete engine apart from a sump.
hypersonic

posted on 4/8/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you want an even better crossflow block i have a thick walled ax block just needs a rebore but you can go past
1700cc with the ax block. Also got loads of other bits. 2 heads, crank, +90 pistons, 234cam that was ran for about 40 mins.

Matt

BenBrooks

posted on 4/8/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Also, does anyone know if any parts from the 618 block and then 711 block are interchangeable?

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.