Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bbq powered locost?? (this could end in tears)
binraker

posted on 9/9/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
bbq powered locost?? (this could end in tears)

although not as environmentally friendly as biodiesle, LPG seems to be a "green fule" and an idea hit me whilse carrying a bottle of gas home for a friend last night, could you run a car on these gas botttles. they are avalable at almost every petrol station and seem to contain butane. LPG conversion kit for the engin in your locost, some piping, modified boot with bottle restraints and away you go... or am i mising something???

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

Peteff

posted on 9/9/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry....

The tank has to be a permanent fixture. You aren't allowed to be able to remove it as you can on fork lift and similar vehicles.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

macspeedy

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
some fork lifts run on gas
phelpsa

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Transfere it from the bottle to the tank, or am I missing something??

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tblue

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's a little more complicated than pouring it out of a bottle into a fixed tank. It's high pressure stuff and needs treating with respect. Also to get it all out of the bottle into a tank you'ld need to pump it out because as soon as the pressures equalised the transfer would stop.
Tblue

posted on 9/9/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention, the bottles for BBQs are designed for gaseous take off, the ones used on forklifts are designed for liquid take off.
binraker

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
basicallly the technology is there but the legislation isn't. we are so good at that in the UK. screwed up the design of trains , now they screw up cars too!!!
so if the law was changed, then it would be possible?

another case of politicans stopping play.

binraker

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
what licencing do fork lift trucks have? i saw a gas one with road tax once (prolly cause it unloaded lorrys in the street next to a police station) so surelyit should be the same rules (ish) should apply to cars???

Tblue

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fork lifts are in a different class as they are classed as industrial machinery, can't see a vehicle with solid tyre and no suspension passing a test.

Same rules as them that apply to vehicles run on red diesel, industrial or agricultural use only.

Viper

posted on 9/9/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
and they run on propane not butane (red cylinders not blue) there is a power loss as well compared to petrol.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 9/9/04 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
29p / litre I love it.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

binraker

posted on 10/9/04 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
how about a racing class using these blue bottles of fun?

binraker

posted on 10/9/04 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
what is the grounding for this law on non removale fule tanks? seams a wee bit silly but i can seee some points for and against it.

anyone know if u can get the deposit back on these bottles if u take em back or is it that u just but the bottle and then sort of trade it in for a new one when you get a refill but can never get the capital back?

i ask cause my friend and i found it in a pile of rubbish from a garage clear out (by the look of it) in skip on the way home and it was going to be the base for his coffee table untill we found it was full and someone had jammed a twig in the valve (which we carefully removed) so now it has to be emptied before it can make a table. or would it be worth while haking it back for the refund and buying a table from ikea?

just need to go and get a cheep bbq then and grill loads of steaks. what a pity

JonBowden

posted on 10/9/04 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
Is this of interest

I haven't read this, but it looks relavent
http://www.lpg-vehicles.co.uk/lpg_conversions/lpg_vehicle_conversion.htm

The Shootist

posted on 10/9/04 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
Less power Huhh?

Take a look at this.....
Turbo LPG Truck

Years ago I had a Hot Rod mag with a blown LPG Ford Coupe in it. It was a daily driver and parts runner for a rod shop.

LPG can make PLENTY of power, but the engine needs to be built for it........ mostly because LPG is about 105 octane!

Northy

posted on 10/9/04 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Using bottled gas in a car is illegal as you haven't paid tax/duty on it.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Peteff

posted on 10/9/04 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
The shop or garage won't give you a refund of deposit if you don't have the original contract with them. Sell it to a camper.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.