Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding precautions Audi A6??
MikeCapon

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welding precautions Audi A6??

Hi all,

An urgent call for help. Again... I've got a broken exhaust on Swmbo's car. An oldish (04) A6 TDi. Can I just dive in with the mig and weld the break or do I need to disconnect stuff? ECU? Battery????

And, like they do she's waiting to use the car and looking at her watch...

Ta muchly in advance,

Mike

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigFaceDave

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just in case I would disconect the battery, I have seen one or 2 cars and lorrys have major gremlins after being welded without disconecting the battery!
MikeCapon

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
Just in case I would disconect the battery, I have seen one or 2 cars and lorrys have major gremlins after being welded without disconecting the battery!

Cheers Dave, No need to unplug the ECU??

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigFaceDave

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure really, I have never bothered but all the cars I have welded up have been older cars although we have had to weld a nut on locking wheel nuts from time to time on quite modern cars and we have never bothered and dont seem to have had any problems but im no expert! there may be someone along in a minute to tell you otherwise!
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
You should put a VEHICLE WELDING SPOKE and SURGE ECU PROTECTOR KIT | eBay across the battery, if you don't have one, disconnect the battery, keep the keys WELL away from the car and welder and DEFINITELY out of the ignition, keep the earth clamp as close to the weld area as you can.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheaper Still

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flibble

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Curious as to what might be in that little yellow box?
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect a very large capacitor and diodes for wrong polarity protection

MikeCapon

posted on 5/8/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all very much. Battery disconnected it is then. Keys a long way away. Earth clamp on the exhaust next to break and ZAP!!

Much appreciated,

Mike

www.shock-factory.co.uk

tonym

posted on 5/8/12 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be on the safe side I would definatly dissconnect the ECU, and the battery and pull the plug on the altenator. make sure you have a good earth near where you are welding and make sure it cannot earth through bearings, wiring and throttle cables or brake pipes and things like that.
MikeRJ

posted on 5/8/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you are welding the exhaust and you have the earth clamp on the exhaust there is little scope for stray currents. welding the exhaust with the clamp on some bodywork would be almost guaranteed to fry something.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.