Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tripod CV joints - who sells them
speedygonzales

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Tripod CV joints - who sells them

OK i'm just about fed up with this now. Everything I touch on my kit seems to take ten times longer than it should!

The latest problem I'm having is trying to find someone who will sell me new CV joints/boots. They are the ones to suit the Ford Sierra tripod type (push fit) differential.

My hours of searching on the net has amounted to very little and even the company who I am looking to get the driveshafts made through said they struggle to get Sierra parts and want me to supply the CV joints. This was pretty much confirmed by my local motor factors not being able to source them.

I am now wondering if it's this difficult to get replacement bits, what happens if I fit the old donor parts and a unit fails? I really don't want to fit the old bits.

If someone knows of a place that sells the tripod type CV joints (there are a few that seem to do the Lobro type but not tripod), please let me know. Also the boots/tin can that covers the CV joint I can't seem to be able to get hold of? I know some of you guys use this type of diff so where are you sourcing your bits?

This coupled with the fact that i've just found out that the M10 x 1.0 x 25 fasteners that hold the diff and prop together are £3.60 each for 10.9 grade is quite frankly ridiculous. They cost pence to make.

.....and breath.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

T66

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Race parts sell gkn tripod joints , boots etc.

http://www.raceparts.co.uk/products/drive_train.asp?group=Drive+Train

[Edited on 15/8/12 by T66]

loggyboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is exactly the reason I changed my build over to bolt on shafts. I had pushins on the donor, and wanted drum brakes, but the CVs needed an overhaul and I wanted all new parts - even Ford could only help with a limited amount of parts, and one of the parts (the out cans), they only had 3 of and i needed 4! and that was the whole country apparently!

The bonus is the tripod joints are fairly indestructable, but as the outer cans are now hard to replace, you cant dismantle them easily (i need to get my shafts shortened so they had to come apart), and you cant rebuild them!

Mistral Motorsport

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/8/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
CPS Drivelink were brilliant in helping me get some obscure driveshafts and CV joints for my race car and did them really cheaply.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
designer

posted on 15/8/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Calm down young man.

Everything will take three times longer than you think, longer if you get angry.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedygonzales

posted on 15/8/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
T66 - thanks for the link. They have tripod joints but just need tocheck they are the same dimensions as mine since they are for a fford.
(but I shall be optimistic

Doctor Derek - CPS is where i'm planning on getting the driveshafts made! I had a quote though and although I'm sure they are a quality manufacturer your version of cheap must be a little different to mine! I will go with CPS though as they were very quick at replying to me and they said they would be able to sort something out for me.

Designer - it's more frustration than anything else. I have a finite amount of time to work on the car each year because I'm studying at the moment (and a wife and kids would like to see me in between) so the summer is my most productive period for me to work onthe car. If I can't get bits I can't get things done. At my current work rate I'll be finished in about 10 years time.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

T66

posted on 15/8/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
If its any consolation, Ive spent limited time in my garage, progressed quite a bit, then changed my mind and now appear to be back at the start..

At my work rate (3-4 hrs a week) I will be mucking on for five years. But Im not into flogging along with a deadline. No fun in that

speedygonzales

posted on 15/8/12 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's the thing. I didn't have a deadline when i started, but I don't think I thought it would take me this long to get as far as I have. My trouble is I can't even potter in the garage for an hour or so on a night because it's being built at my dads who has a double garage.

If I hadn't gone to the trouble of buying a Sierra donor car to get the diff and other parts for the build, and knowing what I do now, I would have been better off going lobro. I've even got the rear bearing carriers to go that route!

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/8/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedygonzales
That's the thing. I didn't have a deadline when i started, but I don't think I thought it would take me this long to get as far as I have. My trouble is I can't even potter in the garage for an hour or so on a night because it's being built at my dads who has a double garage.

That is a very familiar story to mine, all I can say is do your best to move the car to your own place or you'll never get it done, it took me 18 months to get hardly anywhere when the car was at my grandparents house but as soon as I got it moved to my new place with a garage I smashed out the remaining 90% of the work in 6 months. You need that "pottering" time to do all the small but time consuming jobs that eat up your precious build time.

Also dont be afraid to change you plans just because you already have some parts, if there is a better/easier way you'll kick yourself constantly later in the build if you stick with a more difficult route.

Your idea of cheap will soon be changed, there is everyday life cheap and then there is car build cheap were anything less than £350 is a bargain!

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.