Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on holiday to Italy
DanG

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on holiday to Italy

Me and the wife are looking at spending a week on holiday in Italy, part of that week will be visiting Ferrari and Lamborghini.

The rest of the week will be spent by a pool/shopping/sightseeing.

Having never been to Italy we have no idea where to start.

Please can anyone who has done this trip offer any advice on places to stay (with pool)/ places to see and any do's and don'ts

macc man

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
We went during the world cup Italy v France a few years back. Very freindly folk in general. Away from the main cities you will need a phrase book as not so many speak english. Menues often in Italian only so you might struggle to find what you want.
I realy enjoyed the holiday. We stayed in a timeshare appartment which was excellent. Driving can be interesting as everyone drives at full speed or stop! Best of luck.

daniel mason

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
id liove to drive to marinello. through france and mont blanc tunnel! did st tropez last year but would love a week in italy next year! hope you enjoy. also for referance we did ste maxime last year (gulf of st tropez) and it was amazing. 30 degrees all day every day and beautiful area, takt the mnr and do your sight seeing on the way.

RK

posted on 19/8/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Two words, already mentioned: Phrase Book. As long as you attempt a bit of Italian (outside big cities), you will have a great time. Don't be put off when they respond with very long, unintelligible sentences. They mean well.

If you ever wanted to learn another language, that's the best place in Europe to advance, because people talk constantly. Small villages = friendlier = less English, if that makes sense.

Russell

posted on 19/8/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
id liove to drive to marinello. through france and mont blanc tunnel!

I've just come back from doing exactly that last week in an MX5. Loads of fun except for the 40 Euro toll to use the tunnel but I work on road tunnels so I enjoyed it in a busman's holiday sort of way (the Gotthard tunnel is fun too!). Maranello is OK, not a lot going on and VERY hot in August. The Ferrari museum was excellent and not too costly to enter (buy family tickets even if you're not a family - 9 Euros each).

Driving in Italy is NOT relaxing. It's common to have people driving a couple of feet from your rear bumper at 130km/h and even more so in towns. Truck drivers and bike and scooter riders are mostly nuts with a death wish. Having said that, we only saw one accident in 3 days there. I'm glad I did it but of the 8 countries I went through I would return to Switzerland for scenery, hospitality and great driving roads.

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.facebook.com/MangoDoesRustToRome

eddie99

posted on 20/8/12 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Straight after donnington in 10days time, im driving down to tuscany for 2 weeks. As above, stay somewhere away from big cities and then go on day trips into the cities.

Personally having spent alot of time in italy, yes they drive faster but i think are more disciplined than in the UK in terms of outside lane drivers etc.. And as above, i've seen few crashes out there.

With regards to route, make sure you visit some of the passes over switzerland etc... The majority are quite frankly Brilliant!!!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Southern end of Lake Garda Sirmione, Bardolinio, Lasize or Garda town. Loads of good hotels.
The fantastic Mille Miglia Museum is not far away in Brescia and Modena and Millan & Monza are within driving distance.
There is however a lot more to see in the area than car museums

A lot of the better hotels in the area tend to be small boutique hotels that have been in business for more than a hundred years so many don't have pools but have sunbathing and swimming "lidos" or jetties on the lakeside.
If really must have big hotel facilities then the Parc Gritti in Bardolino which is part of a German hotel chain is a very good hotel.
If you want the best Italian hotel experience then the smaller historic hotels offer something really special, I have used both the Hotel Kris in Bardolino and the Hotel Catullo in Sirmione more than once and know them both to be truly excellent.
The Hotel Catullo in the medieval part of Sirmione is something really special, and I know is used by VSCC people when doing Mille Migla revival.

[Edited on 20/8/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Handy thread for me this.
Thinking of Peschiera Del Garda next year.
Anyone been ?

DanG

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies.

Looks like we need to pack a phrase book then.

I think we would like to spend the first few days on the coast and then travel inland to visit the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories and anything else.

Alternatively, we could spend the first few days at Lake Garda and then travel down.

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Anyone been ?

Not the best choice on the lake although it is a historic town and resort it's main function is as a service town for the other resorts so you get builders yards, shipyards and council depots, in particular avoid the golf resort a few miles out of town it is in an awful location in a bend in the river.

The resort towns of choice in the south eastern part of the lake are north to south Garda, Bardolino, Lasize, Sirmione, further north Malcesine.
On the western & northern shores Limone and Riva or for water and mountain sports Torbole.

Personally for a first visit to the lake I would suggest Bardolino although these days I holiday in Sirmione because I have found a small hotel on the shore medieval walled town that suits us perfectly.

To add -
Most of the big tour operators ( Thomsons, Crystal and Inghams) have a wide choice of hotels in the area and fly twice weekly using Thompson air flights from all the more major local airports to Verona.
Smaller tour companies (Barrhead Travel, Semple travel) use budget airlines to Bergamo or Brescia.

[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 20/8/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Anyone been ?

Not the best choice on the lake although it is a historic town and resort it's main function is as a service town for the other resorts so you get builders yards, shipyards and council depots, in particular avoid the golf resort a few miles out of town it is in an awful location in a bend in the river.

The resort towns of choice in the south eastern part of the lake are north to south Garda, Bardolino, Lasize, Sirmione, further north Malcesine.
On the western & northern shores Limone and Riva or for water and mountain sports Torbole.

Personally for a first visit to the lake I would suggest Bardolino although these days I holiday in Sirmione because I have found a small hotel on the shore medieval walled town that suits us perfectly.

To add -
Most of the big tour operators ( Thomsons, Crystal and Inghams) have a wide choice of hotels in the area and fly twice weekly using Thompson air flights from all the more major local airports to Verona.
Smaller tour companies (Barrhead Travel, Semple travel) use budget airlines to Bergamo or Brescia.

Great info, thanks very much for taking the time.

It's certainly south east we were looking at.
We have a 10 year old and Garda Land is a fact of life from which I cannot escape.

I had already checked out the travel options from here and as you say, it's Verona or Bergamo.
One thing I would add it this BA do a very reasonably priced flight to Verona.

Thanks again.

Regds

JF

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to watch is airport transfers can get expensive in Italy if not buying an inclusive package see if the hotel have arrangement. This one of the reason I would recommend booking with Inghams or Crystal

For the theme parks - there are several closely grouped Lazise is the nearest resort but it quite small and very quiet. Stylish relaxed Bardolino is only a couple of miles up the road and is bigger and has more variety to offer. Both Bardolino and Lazise have great ferry and bus link.

In the other direction at the end of the long narrow Sirmio peninsula lies old town Sirmione is a fantastic place it is a walled town that you enter via a draw bridge with a proper castle and massive Roman ruins. On the downside it gets very busy with day trippers, the bus and ferry links are a little less frequent and Michael Schumacher has large house with a helipad a few hundred meters from the town walls.

With Bardolino make sure you get a hotel on the lakeside path, this is likely to be more difficult in Lazise.
With Sirmione the desirable hotels are within the old medieval town.

With any hotel in the area use Google Street view to be 100% of the exactly location and preview the area.

[/I]

nick205

posted on 20/8/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Only been for work before to Ivrea north of Turin.

People seem friendly enough and the food is good.

Driving takes some concentration as they do like to push on at all times! Good fun though once you settle into it.

pewe

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going mid-Sept check out GP Nuvolari linky It's a bit like the Miglia Mille but more spectator friendly and you can follow them on the roads which remain open to the public (amazing how a modern Mr Hertz can keep up with old racers!).
See you there?
As above Mille Miglia museum just on the Eastern outskirts of Brescia is good.
There's also the small Nuvolari museum in his home town Mantova - worth a detour though not a major expedition. There is a tourist ferry service on the lake for a bit of sight-seeing.
Find a piece of road just North West of Vignola which Ferrari use during the week for testing their road cars - but you need to be patient.
Google Strada Pedemontana, Vignola for location. You'll know you're in the right place by all the broad black lines down the road!

In most towns and villages off the tourist trail they'll treat you well and provide food and drink which you could only dream of eating in England.
Bear in mind Venice is a day trip away. The train station is right in the heart of Venice proper and train fares are exceptionally well priced compared to the UK.
Enjoy.
Ciao, Pewe10

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
The ferry services are great we used to use a lot but in recent years the prices have become a bit too expensive.

One of the must sees on the lake lies above the town of Gardone Riviera, it is a crazy art-deco house, car and aero museum, garden, war memorial, amphitheatre and much more. Il Vittoriale degli italiani (The House of Italian Victories) was built for Gabriele d'Annunzio who was an Italian war hero poet, aviator and right politician in UK terms think of a mixture of Kipling, Lawrence of Arabia, Oswald Mosley, Fitzroy MacLean and Count Dracula.

The house and gardens is like a mixture of Dracula's castle, Port Merrion in Wales, the Glasgow School of Art and a mad fascist theme park, it is barking mad funny beautiful, jaw dropping and sinister. The really surprises are in the fantastic garden a WW1 Italian Motor Torpedo exhibited in a swimming pool and a 1900s era Gun Boat built into the hillside a few hundred feet above the lake.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 1/9/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just back from the Lake Garda area, If anybody wants to see just how stunning this area is I put a few photos in my photo archive Link to archive

Here is a sample of North Italy

Hydrofoil ferry docking at Limone in the north of Lake Garda ---- Hydrofoils are ace ;-)
Hydrofoil ferry at Limone
Hydrofoil ferry at Limone

Harbour at beautiful stylish relaxed Bardolino.
Bardolino Lake garda
Bardolino Lake garda

Massive Roman villa at Sirmione
Roman Villa Sirmione
Roman Villa Sirmione

Hotel Catullo Sirmione Garden
Sirmione Hotel
Sirmione Hotel

Lake Garda Ferry Andromeda
Lake garda ferry
Lake garda ferry

View of Sirmione beach lido Lake Garda
Sirmione View
Sirmione View

Village of Borghetto sul Mincio
Borghetto
Borghetto

Malcesine Castle
Malcesine Castle
Malcesine Castle

[Edited on 2/9/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
2008 and 2009 trips showing the 1000 Miglia at our lakeside Hotel in the historic centre of Sirmione

My hotel from previous trip
My hotel from previous trip

Migla 1000  at our Hotel 2009
Migla 1000 at our Hotel 2009

The Hotel Catullo in Sirmione is a very good reasonably priced small hotel in the heart of beautiful medieval Sirmione.

The walkway on eastern side of Sirmio peninsula

Sirmione 2009
Sirmione 2009

[Edited on 2/9/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Saw your pics.

I've been trying to nail down travel and accommodation that would suit us.
We're not picky, but I've not managed quite yet.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 2/9/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to Ferrari and Lamborghini it's worth visiting the Pagani factory as its in the same area but you might have to book that in advance though. I was there in 2010 but i think they have moved to the new factory since then. I didnt book the tour i just turned up at the factory on my way to Lambourghini , googled the Pagani phone number then called the number asked if anybody spoke English and luckily someone did and i just asked if i could come in for a look. I couldnt believe my luck when a guy came out opened the gates and let us in and introduced us to Horacio Pagani who showed us round the factory. I still smile thinking about that day. I've been to the Galeria Ferrari in Maranello a few times and its definitely worth a visit but while you are there head to the outskirts of Maranello to the Ferarri test track where you can sneak through the hedge to see the track and my final tip is drive round to the back of the Ferrari factory where you can see some interesting things in the back gates. You will love Italy and the way they drive
britishtrident

posted on 3/9/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Saw your pics.

I've been trying to nail down travel and accommodation that would suit us.
We're not picky, but I've not managed quite yet.

Only problems with Sirmione and vast numbers of day trippers ensure it is very crowded during the day and as it is the end of a very long peninsula is a little cut off however for us the Hotel Catullo makes up for that. The Catullo is run by a great guy called Fabio Barelli and the hotel reflects his personality. The Fabio provides a couple of free or subsidised outings for guests every week usually a free Speedboat tour of the local area and an amazing value 15 euro combined sight seeing wine tasting trip excellent. These trips get quickly get booked up.

Bardolino is much more spacious and relaxed, we used to go to the Kris Hotel in Bardolino --- also very good run by the Lonardelli family they also operate another hotel the Aida as an annex of the Kris but although the rooms in the Aida are fine they don't have AC only a ceiling fan.
For peak season bookings you would need to book the hotel at least 3 months in advance.

The bus route through Bardolino stops at the Gardaland and some of the other theme parks.

Some links

Hotel Catullo Sirmione if you email Fabio Barelli at the Catullo he will book airport transfers at a special rate.

Hotel Kriss Bardolino

Parc Gritti Bardolino

I picked up brochures for the Theme parks and other local attractions if you u2u me your address I will post them out.

Andy M

[Edited on 3/9/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
A few more

Gun Boat Gardone

Gardone Gunboat
Gardone Gunboat

MTB Gardone

Gardone MTB
Gardone MTB

Hotel Catullo Sirmione

Sirmione Hotel Catullo
Sirmione Hotel Catullo

Sirmione

Sirmione
Sirmione

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 12/9/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Village of Borghetto sul Mincio betwe den Verona and Peschiera del Garda
Borghetto sul Mincio
Borghetto sul Mincio

[Edited on 12/9/12 by britishtrident]

[/I]

zilspeed

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Booked up for just between Bardolino and Lazise.

Having a 10 year old means a campsite really does suit us best.
We do however look forward to the day when a lovely boutique hotel is an option available to us.

Will take you up on offer of blurb from local attractions.

U2U to follow.

Thanks again.

RK

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Camping is way more fun, and will be more memorable for the pup, I am sure.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.