Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Engine Repair Near Doncaster
parkiboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Engine Repair Near Doncaster

As some of you may have know i have had some terrible luck, my busa engine went in my first drive since getting my car on the road.

People on here and MK seem to believe its just the bottom end bearings and have recommended a place in harrogate but i was just curious to if anyone knows anywhere nearer to home?

I've rang a few places but alot of them dont want the job anyway but then when i tell them its in a kit car they wont even entertain it.

I'm basically trying to get a price, im trying to weigh up whether its worth me repairing, getting a replacement engine, buying a bike and stripping it for parts or even swapping it to a zetec.

I stretched my budget buying what i thought was my "dream car" and did expect to have to fork out a bit of my hard earned on maintainance but not a 3k engine on my first outing! i really cant afford it so looking for the most financial option. Trouble i have is with changing it to a zetec it would depreciate the car alot and i will have lost out big time.

[Edited on 20/8/12 by parkiboy]

loggyboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
I stretched my budget buying what i thought was my "dream car" and did expect to have to fork out a bit of my hard earned on maintainance but not a 3k engine on my first outing! i really cant afford it so looking for the most financial option. Trouble i have is with changing it to a zetec it would depreciate the car alot and i will have lost out big time.

Cost involved wih zetec conversion would no doubt be similar to a rebuilt engine. But dont see how an identical spec CEC would depreciate more and BEC?!

Mistral Motorsport

designer

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

changing it to a zetec it would depreciate the car a lot and i will have lost out big time.

Where does this myth come from that a BEC is worth more than a CEC!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
parkiboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
A busa to a zetec i would have thought would depreciate, I would have thought blade BEC's would sell for similar money to a Zetec CEC but when getting to a busa i would expect the equivalent costing CEC to be something like a duratec?
jase380

posted on 20/8/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd give damien at Daytuner in Harrogate a call, he knows his stuff and does loads of work on bec's. Or try Malc at yorkshire engines, I got my zx10r engine from him and he was spot on when i had a few problems with it, as far as I know he gives advice for nowt so it would be worth a phone call.
ReMan

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Surely a replacement engine is only half the issue, the other is stopping another doing the same?
If it is just the bearings this should be perfectly repairable at a much less cost than a new engine.
Theres plenty of varied info on here as to what a busa needs to stop it popping

[Edited on 20/8/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

parkiboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
ive spoke to daytuners and he basically said he thinks it will be the bottom end bearing on the 2nd cylinder, he said it should be an easy repair but the only problem is it may have damaged the crank however he does have plenty laying around and will only charge me 200 quid for one. He said the easy bit is repairing the hard part is making sure it wont happen again but he will get it on the dyno see whats going off and make sure everything is ok and it wont happen again.

the guy seems really keen and reasonable.

mark chandler

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Busa's do have a reputation for this, invest in an accusump before running it out on the road again.

Thing with Bike engines is without providence you run the risk of something that has been crashed, sat on it's side and run on for a bit before being turned off

Regards Mark

imp paul

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
you could give andy bates a call he could help he is a top man or malc at Yorkshire engines both are spot on
parkiboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
it has a billet sump with swinging arm and baffle plate, ive been told the accusump is a better option but for the road my setup should more than suffice?
imp paul

posted on 20/8/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a nova made sump top bit of kit very good. but i do know busa engines like to be on dry sump kits eg pace and that sort of thing not like zx12 there fine on a nova sump but hay thats not helping you much try to have a chat with ab performance or malc both are bang on keep your chin up i know its not good i just hope you get it fixed at the right pennys
Jon Ison

posted on 20/8/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Under certain conditions the swinging pickup can be held away from the oil as they don't turn the full 360. They are designed for straight line drag racing, swing back under acceleration forwards under braking, take a corner under acceleration or braking and the arm can become "stuck" unable to move following the oil, personally I wouldn't entertain one, Damien at daytuner comes highly recommended from me to.
parkiboy

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
If I did get an accusump what a manual or electric valve be recommended? And what size would I need for a busa?

[Edited on 20/8/12 by parkiboy]

ragindave

posted on 20/8/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.extremeengines.com/

May be worth talking to these guys.

parkiboy

posted on 25/8/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Right i've bought an accusump, managed to get a 4 pint burton power one with manual valve for £185 delievered on ebay, its brand new the guy bought it recently but never fitted it.

I'm waiting for it to turn up then i think i'm taking it day tuners to get it repaired and the accusump fitted.. i just hope it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg, spent a small fortune lately buying it and finishing it, i could do without this, its also ruined my holiday plans for this year.

seriously dis-heartened with my car now though, thinking of selling it when i get it sorted and buying a bike instead.

Proby

posted on 25/8/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear of your bad times, try and keep your chin up, get the engine sorted and the accusump fitted and you should be away. good luck!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.