Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not sure about this rollcage......
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about this rollcage......

What do you lot think of this roll cage? not to sure if it'd pass regs myself......

Linky

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Whats worse is you can BUY "show rollcages"
I know a bloke (bit of a numpty really) who bought a thin-walled ali one that slotted together (like a vacuum cleaner pipe) and fitted it to his mini. Bolted to the seat belt mounts too. He was convinced it "tightened" the car up

twybrow

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Genius! A very lgiht weight solution that gives you the look of a roll cage, without the additional weight. So who is going to be the first to use this revolutionary technique on their kit!?
nick205

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly as naff as the car in which it's been fitted.

ash_hammond

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm off to wickes to get some drain pipe and 90 degree bends to build a new cage...

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Nearly as naff as the car in which it's been fitted.

i think that point was made a few times! I think it falls into the category of 'spit and kleenex'

loggyboy

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Matt/Procomp just keeled over a died!

Mistral Motorsport

unijacko67

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ash_hammond
I'm off to wickes to get some drain pipe and 90 degree bends to build a new cage...

Get two inch pipe then you’ve a chance with blue book regs. I made a set of goal posts for the kids like that, but hadn’t realized I could do my cage in plastic. Great stuff.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
This thread could get quite entertaining

Think I'll just nip down the shops for a large bag of popcorn and a bottle of coke.

It's Evolution Baby!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear.

Just to clarify - I;m not advocating B&Q or Wickes as a viable place to get you cage materials from

i love the fact he painted it as well though.

AllWeatherDan

posted on 21/8/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BREATH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

sebastiaan

posted on 21/8/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
So why has no-one mentioned the double bends yet?
balidey

posted on 21/8/12 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Loved this quote....

quote:

Maybe he/she wasn't old enough to buy the solvent cement, Wickes are quite strict......

Several comments about it just being for looks and it being lighter than proper cage.
Well if thats the case then just get a black marker pen and draw lines on the window where the cage would be seen, then colour in between the lines (carefully) and that gives a similar look for even less weight.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

cloudy

posted on 21/8/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you want some real world crash test feedback from a plastic rollcage, made one for our scrapheap challenge TV build (just for aesthetics), as I'm sure you can all imagine, it was chocolate teapot-esque in a crash. Though admittedly the crash resulted from driving it off a cliff

www.warnercars.com

Ninehigh

posted on 21/8/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't Nascar make this kind of thing when rules came in about rollcages?

coozer

posted on 22/8/12 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
What about making up the plastic sections and filling them with concrete? Thats got to be stiffer than steel tube innit?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

SCAR

posted on 22/8/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of making one out of old bike inner tubes and connecting it to an air bag actuator. No unwanted intrusion to in car space and then during an accident.......... POOF............ instant roll cage.
alistairolsen

posted on 27/9/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I always take issue with bits of hard tube that will break and then float around trying to spear you in a crash!

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.