Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon fibre boot lid - how thick.
emwmarine

posted on 29/8/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre boot lid - how thick.

Instead of the very heavy boot box for my Dax Rush, I am looking to make a carbon fibre flat boot cover.

Basically just a flat sheet with edge trimming and cut aways for the harness.

Flat sheet isn't too expensive but how thick should it be? You can buy it in 1mm or 2mm sheets. It's quite a large area around 980mm x 370mm ish - and I can bond an ally bar underneath to stiffen if need be. Any thoughts?

Building a Dax Rush.

wylliezx9r

posted on 29/8/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I made my one out of aluminium and covered it in 3m di-noc, looks like the real thing and a lot easier to make - if a little bit heavier.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

blakep82

posted on 29/8/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
^ no it doesn't di-noc never looks like carbon fibre, it never has the correct gloss to it

i'd think 2mm for that, if you find it flexes too much, you could fibreglass lengths of rope (paper rope if you can find it, or even rolled up paper) into the back to form ridges to stiffen it up

[Edited on 29/8/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

twybrow

posted on 29/8/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
My boot is CF, but I went with very thin skins (1mm) either side of a foam core... It is wonderfully stiff and light.... You could do similar, by bonding thin sheets of CF onto some insulation foam sheet...
snakebelly

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with the above, to get the required rigidity the best solution would be a carbon sandwich with a foam core, I'll be bagging some up myself in the near future if I can help u2u me, see link for the video of our composite floor panel strength
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/111529572187631903852/5707966789931690801/5711980740646437682

bigbravedave

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't want a boot box just a sheet to cover the back, I spoke to carbon mods who did a very thin sheet that was ridgid enuff not to buffit at speed but flexible enough to slot and use a hole saw for where the cage passes through and flex it into position.

[Edited on 29/8/12 by bigbravedave]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/10/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I work with fibreglass and GRP for a living - my advice would be to go for the 2mm if you want it to hold and look the part.

As the material is made up of a woven roving (the carbon fibres), it's strength is good whilst still allowing a nominal amount of flaxibility. If you got for a 1mm sheet over that area, I think you'll find it will dip slightly and bow with wind buffeting etc.

What could also be done if bond a sheet of the 1mm material to a small backing such as thin ply or similar to strengthen, but this will add a bit of weight - this is similar to what happens in bonded panels for HGV trailers etc. Another option is a honeycomb-type backing, but you'll need to make a "sandwich panel" which I think you're keen to avoid, yes?

I suppose it depends if you want to watch the pennies or go all out and but the 2mm or not!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

svante

posted on 13/11/12 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
First i had a vinyl covered sheet of plywood like classic style.

I got tired of unbuttoning all just to pick something out of the boot... so started up modelling in styrofoam just the way i wanted it.

And it ended up like this:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Proby

posted on 13/11/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Svante, that looks excellent! Would look awesome in carbon fibre!

Visit GraphicMonster

flibble

posted on 13/11/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
For such a comparatively small design change that makes the car look a whole lot better, very nice work Svante!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.