Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a Car Transporter Trailer
myke pocock

posted on 30/8/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a Car Transporter Trailer

I am looking to buy a twin axle car transporter trailer for my classic trials car and have looked at Brian James and Ifor Williams as they are just in the budget. The BJ Clubman 100-0420 looks a good price for what it is. Anyone got any opinions on either manufacturer or anyone got a good twin axle for sale?
unijacko67

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
This chap makes to order also, you would not be disappointed.

link to trailer

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, but which one!!!
phelpsa

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can't go wrong with a Brian James. Reliable, a huge number of bolt on accessories for every occasion and they seemingly never depreciate as long as they are kept in good condition.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unijacko67

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Thanks, but which one!!!

Sorry not used to putting links on here. Worth a telephone call as can make to your exact size.

Car Transporter Recovery Trailer 2000kg Galvanised New | eBay

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

myke pocock

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, just seen that and only just down the road from me. Looks very like Ifor Williams but cheaper. Worth a phone call I think. Anyone want an old but very usable Rice Richardson tilt bed trailer for around £500?
omega 24 v6

posted on 30/8/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Having built a few myself over the years, I have to say Brian James all the way. Extremely stable and as already said they hold their money if cared for.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

mark.s

posted on 31/8/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
myke, i am just about to advertise my trailer, which is a 2005 clubman, if you want details let me know but i know its a bit of drive for you, either way you will not go wrong with a clubman

mark

myke pocock

posted on 31/8/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. Just ordered one of these:-
Car Transporter Recovery Trailer 2000kg Galvanised New | eBay
Spoke to the manufacturer and asked for a comparison with BJ and IW trailers. Apparently this one is fitted with Avonride suspension units as opposed to the IW cart springs which can apparently give a slightly inferior ride. The tow hitch is of cast construction and lockable as opposed to pressed steel and as there are not as many of these around may well be a bit safer from theft. AND they are made local to me so keeping my pennies in the community.

everest

posted on 31/8/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Trailer

HI,
Brenderup TRailer as some of the best, but can be a bit heavy - so it also depends on your tow car ?

Hope this helps,
Chris.

Wadders

posted on 31/8/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Clubman is not a bad trailer but if you can afford a bit more
the A-Sport is much nicer.
For value for money look at Fountain trailers. The electrics are better
than BJT's and they tow equally as well.
You will always sell a BJT easier.
Al.

snakebelly

posted on 31/8/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
just about to take delivery of a new Brian James Clubman tiltbed. Not the cheapest and it ticks me off that everything is an option, winch....extra money, spare wheel....extra money but i know it will hold its value and tow well.

Went for the tilt bed as after having had a second hand one for a few years i wouldnt have anything else now, especially when loading a low race car.

The other advantage is if its for transporting a race car and the worst occurs on track as long as the centre is boarded (Again an extra!) you know you will be able to drag the remnants on to the trailer, seen too many people trying to load 3 wheeled cars and it always takes forever and looks very dodgy at some point...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.