Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC v CEC v V8
jonabonospen

posted on 8/9/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
BEC v CEC v V8

I know there are many discussions on the subject of BEC or CEC, but what I want to know is what are the main pro's and con's of each of the three engine types; BEC, CEC, and V8? Not a "well I've got a BEC and its the best" conversation, but just a factual bit of info like; which has best power to weight, handling, torque, etc?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Track = BEC
Fast road = CEC
Cruising + fast road = V8

Depends what type of car you fancy.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
A V8 is a CEC (unless there are V8 bikes in production?).

Depends entirely on what you are after. BEC will give excellent power/weight, it comes with it's own sequential box and it is undoubtedly a fine choice for a track car or fun road car. You will need to fit some kind of reversing system (either separate gearbox or electric) to get the car through IVA.

V8's tend to be fairly heavy (even modern all alloy ones) and the power delivery mean lots of low RPM grunt. Personaly I don't think they are the most appropriate engine for 7 style cars, but I'm sure many will disagree (unless it's the high revving V8 used in the Arial Atom designed around bike engines, very expensive though).

A 2.0L 4 pot car engine (e.g. Zetec, Duratec) from your average family saloon is cheap, you have reverse built into the gearbox and it will give pretty good performance, economy and have fine road manners. It won't have anything like the urgency of a BEC though. However, a tuned car engine can approach or better the power from the bike engine, though it will have more weight overall and tuning is not cheap past the most basic levels.

jonabonospen

posted on 8/9/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
A V8 is a CEC (unless there are V8 bikes in production?).

Yeah I was thinking of car V8's. I was just trying to seperate them from the more common zetec and duratec type car engined cars as a V8 is a totally different beast really.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RK

posted on 8/9/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Phil? Are you there?

OK, I'll go first for my team: CEC heavier, not really what the lightweight sportscar design had in mind considering the size of car engines these days. But, CEC is a simpler build, although you need two to get your engines in and out, generally. Hard to find RWD engine and transmisssion combos, unless you go MX5 or BMW (heavier). Come with reverse gear, an IVA requirement, I believe. I could go on.

V8 - quite big, not that much power for the size. There are exceptions.

Essentially, I am repeating what has already been said above.
[Edited on 8/9/12 by RK]

[Edited on 8/9/12 by RK]

[Edited on 9/9/12 by RK]

Norton91

posted on 9/9/12 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Money no object these people http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php/parts-a-engines

I have a gen 2 Hyabusa it is brilliant just the gear box alone is worth it all, push button from http://www.flatshifter.com/flat-shifter-max/

I have my eye on the 1600cc engine 80kgs including box 260 bhp 145ft lbs total car weight 530 including fuel, water,oil,toolkit heater..........

I currently have 200bhp and about 110 ft lbs driverable in 5th at 25 mph can pull it away in 3rd from stationary top speed 140mph

Nigel

snapper

posted on 9/9/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I think torque is an important consideration one constantly overlooked
The above post conciders this, since driving turbo deisels I conciders it more.
The BEC is a great drive but you can get tired of continual balls out high revs, lazy V8 torque is a good easy drive but I like the noise and the revs, for me a high reving CEC does it.
Perhaps a turbo or supercharger in the future

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

franky

posted on 9/9/12 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
a nice 300+bhp N/A car engine, best of everything
jonabonospen

posted on 9/9/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norton91
Money no object these people http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/index.php/parts-a-engines

I have a gen 2 Hyabusa it is brilliant just the gear box alone is worth it all, push button from http://www.flatshifter.com/flat-shifter-max/

I have my eye on the 1600cc engine 80kgs including box 260 bhp 145ft lbs total car weight 530 including fuel, water,oil,toolkit heater..........

I currently have 200bhp and about 110 ft lbs driverable in 5th at 25 mph can pull it away in 3rd from stationary top speed 140mph

Nigel

I have heard of Holeshot racing before. In fact I was watching one of (if not more perhaps) of their bikes running up at Elvington airfield a couple of weeks ago in the wheelie world record event, although I think they were just involved in the time drag strip runs and not the wheelies. The Busa he had there was AWESOME!!

But I tell ya what........ I never realised they were THAT expensive

Hellfire

posted on 9/9/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Phil? Are you there?

Yep, I'm here. Don't really have anything to add though..... I reckon Mike has covered it

Phil

dlatch

posted on 9/9/12 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
firstly

Norton91 your fury is stunning!!

secondly

Bec or Cec can only be decided by yourself have a ride or drive of both then decide

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 9/9/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Rover V8 in my Viento.
Physically its about the right sized V8 for the Viento, although the Viento will easily take larger V8's eg Small Block 5.7L Chevy.

Mine is:
3.5L (I avoided 3.9 and above due to the porus block problems that can occur).
Viper Hurricane Cam (3-6k rpm powerband)
Webber 500 4 barrel carb
Mallory electronic Dizzy.
Mild porting on the heads.

I built a V8, as I have wanted a V8 sportscar since I was 17 (42 years ago!) So I built one.
I just love the V8 sound.

On a run to Stoneleigh / Newark ie open road at a steady 70 I get 26Mpg, which I think is Brill for a V8.
Around the country roads, ie more gearchanges and slow / fast. I recon about 20mpg.
Foot HARD down driving (track style stuff) probably a lot less!
I see it simple as this is my TOY... and I have to accept the MPG.
Its a bit like driving a Land Rover (I had 5 of them over a span of 30+ years). Its what you want, so you accept that everytime you take it for a drive, you are being financially raped when you pull into a petrol station Mostly I just dont look at the bill... Pay it, and forget it. Then go and enjoy your drive!

The thing I like about my RV8, is its light for a V8. It delivers enough power and torque to make the driving comfortable both to the style and to the ears and still give very good performance (ie no 12,000 RPM nest of wasps in your ears - although that can still be be fun)

The Viento has a very large underbonnet area, and everything is easily get-attable, even with a V8 in it. IMHO A 4 pot job looks a bit lost in there.
A V8 in a Viento looks about right.

Now... In Hindsight...

I should probably have gone for a straight 6 job. Either a Nissan Skyline (any of them), or a BMW straight 6, possibly a M series.

Why??

A straight 6 will give you almost the same sound style and range as the V8 (ie nice audio track).
Both of the above engines are quick anyway... and can be FAR more powerful than ANY rover V8. Unless you have extremely deep pockets getting more than 250BHP from a RV8 becomes a VERY expensive job.
They are newer, and nicer, and the BMW is quite abundant, and already R/W-Drive, with good gearboxes.
Luego also have done a BMW in the Viento, and it works well in that chassis.

If you want either a V8 or straight 6, then seriously consider a larger chassis, like the Haynes, or the Mc Sorley +442, as you will need the extra space.
Dont dismiss a Straight 6 instead of a V8.
Also its less exhaust manifold work than a V8!

Hope this is of some use in your decision making.

I'm thinking of selling mine, as I want a Motorhome, to replace my caravan!

Cheers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 9/9/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the above, a bmw m3 3.2 will fit in a normal size car as its fairly compact, the airbox etc makes it look larger than it is. You'll get 35mpg on a run, be able to use the standard ecu, they'll rev to 8000rpm and make 300+bhp all day long.

Oh you can get them will all bits needed to run for £1500 or so.

wilkingj

posted on 9/9/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Just to add to the above, a bmw m3 3.2 will fit in a normal size car as its fairly compact, the airbox etc makes it look larger than it is. You'll get 35mpg on a run, be able to use the standard ecu, they'll rev to 8000rpm and make 300+bhp all day long.

Oh you can get them will all bits needed to run for £1500 or so.

I think this illustrates my point nicely.
What I built, I am very pleased with.
However, I could have done it better, and probably for no more money than I spent in the first place (a little over £8k).

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

rodgling

posted on 9/9/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
The BMW straight six is good in that it's cheap (a 328 + ecu etc is about £500), sounds amazing, plenty powerful, easily available, good RWD gearbox, plenty of tuning options, etc. On the other hand it's long, tall, and heavyish, although you save a bit of weight over a v8 by not needing two exhausts. The torque-to-weight of an M3 would be hard to beat without a turbo.

But if I was doing it again, I'd be tempted by a lightweight CEC, probably either K-series or duratec, and try to keep the car as light as possible. Mind you, my "if I was doing it again" engine changes all the time and I'm certainly very happy with the M3 :-)

sdh2903

posted on 9/9/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Or what about new school m3 and you get the v8 noise as well!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=110940085211

franky

posted on 9/9/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
The BMW straight six is good in that it's cheap (a 328 + ecu etc is about £500), sounds amazing, plenty powerful, easily available, good RWD gearbox, plenty of tuning options, etc. On the other hand it's long, tall, and heavyish, although you save a bit of weight over a v8 by not needing two exhausts. The torque-to-weight of an M3 would be hard to beat without a turbo.

But if I was doing it again, I'd be tempted by a lightweight CEC, probably either K-series or duratec, and try to keep the car as light as possible. Mind you, my "if I was doing it again" engine changes all the time and I'm certainly very happy with the M3 :-)

for what its worth I wouldn't build another with an m3, its just too much of an engine IMO. I still think its the best value for money around.

The 4.0v8 is 280bhp and about 70kg lighter, that might get my vote

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.