Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: re: BMWs being nicked. Doh!
BenB

posted on 12/9/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
re: BMWs being nicked. Doh!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Not sure why the alarm didn't go off. If they disabled the alarm with a code scanner they wouldn't break the window....
Looks like they're re-programming blank Beemer keys via the OBD port. Doh!

madmandegge

posted on 12/9/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Have been keeping an eye on this problem for a while, appears the problem is no break glass sensors and the internal movement sensor does not cover the area that they reach through to get to the ODBII port.

Seems this is getting some more media attention now, supposed to be on Watchdog tonight I think? Not good eitherway
There's been reports on pistonheads of people either moving their ODBII ports out of reach or wiring in switches to disable them!

Slimy38

posted on 12/9/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair, the same process can be done on several new cars. In fact, I know exactly how to do it on my own car. If it wasn't for the deadlocks and volumetric sensors limiting access to the port itself, I can imagine it not taking too long to set up.

Although thinking about it, my car's OBD port isn't live until the ignition is on, and you can't turn the ignition on without things going off. And the port is in the centre of the dash which is covered by the sensors.

[Edited on 12/9/12 by Slimy38]

dhutch

posted on 12/9/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
None of our models post 2011 can be stolen in this method.

If i had a two year old beemer that wold fill be with so much joy...

Agriv8

posted on 12/9/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I assume This is also down to keyless start fitted ?

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

vanepico

posted on 12/9/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I bet you the blank key cost £20,000 by itself! So what goes into the obd2 port? Is it plugged directly into a header on the key?

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Slimy38

posted on 12/9/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
I bet you the blank key cost £20,000 by itself! So what goes into the obd2 port? Is it plugged directly into a header on the key?

Ebay is your friend for blank keys... it can even be second hand, the key doesn't know it's already registered to another car. And you only need the serial number to add to the ECU, that's what gets put in through the OBD2 port. (At least on my car, I assume it's similar on BMW's).

madmandegge

posted on 12/9/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico

From looking into the problem, you buy a programmer (about £3000) that connects to the ODBII port, the programmer then communicates with the key and programs the car's info onto the blank. The two main issues are 1) access to the ODBII port without setting the alarm off and 2) having the ODBII port live without the ignition being on.

This was the clip they showed on Watchdog, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshK4ZXPU9o

Oh and a video of how simple it is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmPfCFFkqQ

[Edited on 12/9/12 by madmandegge]

vanepico

posted on 16/9/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
So I might be getting my first car, and it only has one key, does anyone posses a device to make a new key for a peugeot? Apparently so error code readers have the functionality.

Gibbo1988

posted on 17/9/12 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Without going into too much detail, I don't think this has anything to do with the OBD port.
Atleast, when we got a new key for our 1-series (57 reg, push button start), I programmed the new (blank) key without the OBD port, or any additional equipment.
It was about as difficult as resetting the service warning on my golf, scarily easy!

madmandegge

posted on 17/9/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbo1988
Without going into too much detail, I don't think this has anything to do with the OBD port.
Atleast, when we got a new key for our 1-series (57 reg, push button start), I programmed the new (blank) key without the OBD port, or any additional equipment.
It was about as difficult as resetting the service warning on my golf, scarily easy!

I think it's possible to reprogram a new key, assuming you already have one on you that works?

I think the problem of the thefts concentrates on the fact that the people stealing the car don't need to have a key to unlock, so they aren't breaking into anyone's house to get the key. I think that was the common thing on Pistonheads, people found their cars gone and assumed the keys had been stolen, but found they still had the keys

vanepico

posted on 17/9/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen, to do it for modern fords you get it cut, then you put the old key in, the old key out, the new key in the new key out, and do the hokey cokey and of course turn around....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.