Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need proposals calipers
Siduna

posted on 22/9/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Need proposals calipers

Hi all!

I'm building a mid engined BEC and would appreciate some ides for choise of calipers. I've been looking at "aftermarket" racing stuff such as Wilwwod, Brembo etc. But considering the prices I've also been looking at alternatives such as 4-pot front calipers from Alfa Romeos. I intend to use "front calipers" on the rear axle as well since I've been told (by pretty competent race car builders) that the weight distribution in a middy gives high enough weight on the rear wheels to be able to increase the breaking power on the rear wheels.
Anyway, I'd appreciate tips and ideas on other 4-pot aluminum calipers from "standard cars" (please forgive my wording all you Alfa lovers out there ).
I understand that some Citroen models have 4-pot alu calipers? What other cars and models would of interrest?

Regards,

Writing with a broken pencil is pointless

designer

posted on 22/9/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Are you making your own uprights?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/9/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan do a really neat 2 pot ally caliper on the back of things like 300ZX's and and Skylines, we got a pait in a scrappy for £20 and fitted them to the back of our 306 track car.

I think you may also have referred to the brembo (I think) 4 pots that Peugeot/Citreon fitted to the front of things like the 406 Coupe.

Something I have noticed though is that calipers like these have strong used prices beacuse people have worked out how to fit them to lesser cars like Saxos and things.... often making it better value to just buy some brand spanking new Willwoods from Rally design, £242 + VAT for a set of 4 Pot Willwoods, mounts, and discs for is a bargain.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Siduna

posted on 23/9/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
upritghts

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Are you making your own uprights?

No, I'm using uprights from a Mazsa Miata -91. And no, using the sliding one pot caliper is not an option...

Siduna

posted on 23/9/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Nissan do a really neat 2 pot ally caliper on the back of things like 300ZX's and and Skylines, we got a pait in a scrappy for £20 and fitted them to the back of our 306 track car.

I think you may also have referred to the brembo (I think) 4 pots that Peugeot/Citreon fitted to the front of things like the 406 Coupe.

Something I have noticed though is that calipers like these have strong used prices beacuse people have worked out how to fit them to lesser cars like Saxos and things.... often making it better value to just buy some brand spanking new Willwoods from Rally design, £242 + VAT for a set of 4 Pot Willwoods, mounts, and discs for is a bargain.

Wilwood doesn't list any brake kits for Miata's that I've seen...

designer

posted on 23/9/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Have a search on Locosters USA, a lot there are using Miata uprights.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.