Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Vehicle immobiliser to Thatcham standard
Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Vehicle immobiliser to Thatcham standard

This unit was posted on L7club board.

It looks like a nice unit to use to secure a 7. The transponder only has to be near unit aerial to disarm it.
Aerial can be placed anywhere in car.

I was thinking of one of these and connect the two relays to fuel and ECU.

http://www.microscanalarms.co.uk/pages/mi600_immobiliser.htm

ned

posted on 14/9/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
There awas brief mention of this on another thread recently, I'll see if i can find it..

Ned.

see lower half of this thread..

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=17035

[Edited on 14/9/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've ordered one of the Microscan units from the company below. They are £10 less than manufacturers.

http://www.dyor.co.uk/speed_trap_detectors.asp

[Edited on 14/9/04 by Rob Lane]

loafersmate

posted on 14/9/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have a TOAD version of this protecting the fuel pump and starter motor.

Ben

ned

posted on 14/9/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
for anyone interested you can buy the mi600 device from directcarparts http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74_80&products_id=820 for £56.99 with free delivery (I ordered some bits previously and they arrived in 2-3 days)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Works out at same cost from Internet Trading Direct with overnight delivery.

I think they all work out about same price except an odd one or two suppliers.

MikeRJ

posted on 14/9/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, unless you have fuel injection system, bypassing an imobiliser on a typical locost would be laughably easy. Really only usefull for insurance and SVA purposes!
Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mines not so easy. It is injection and ECU based so there are quite a few options open to me.

I'll certainly be disguising the wiring etc.

At the moment mine has no security at all, just jump in, flick ignition switch and hit starter button.

I worry all the time when it's left, even to pop into a shop.

The transponders in the kit allow you to just put it in car near to concealed aerial and car will then have live ignition and be able to start. Transponder is like one of those capsules for a dog collar that contains address etc. very small.

binraker

posted on 14/9/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking f making an imobaliser. is this acceptable for insurance?

what is it about me that makes me look like i know what im doing????

Northy

posted on 14/9/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rob,

Have you any idea how far away from the aerial the transponder can be and still work?

I fancy one too!

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

wilkingj

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
I am going to put a key operated fuel line switch of the mechanical sort in the tunnel. This way there is no fuel, only whats in the carb. Our Local diesel injector place does them. Only ptoblem is you need the key on a long chain, so you can have key in ignition, and key in fuel switch. Although I think you might be able to remove the key in locked and unlocked position. This way they cant get at the switch, and bypass it, as its physical and secures inside the tunnel. You would need to run a new fuel pipe from back to front of the vehicle to bypass it.
Thats more that the average crim / joyrider will want to do. It wont stop the professional with his Lo-Loader etc.

GeoffW

Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/04 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Graham,
it will work up to 6 inches away from aerial according to instructions. Normally they say fit the aerial loop around ignition switch so that the transponder on keyring activates it. It can be fitted anywhere up to 1.5m around car.

Bin,
I doubt if they would accept it. I bought this one because it came with a Thatcham certificate which my insurance will accept.

Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/04 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

Don't wish to burst your bubble but any of the aftermarket keyswitches will operate with a universal key in them.
By that I mean 'screwdriver'

Years ago I disabled an Audi car with a 'reed' switch glued inside a door panel and connected to vital circuit on ECU.
By leaving a small magnet in car I was able to take magnet and place it alongside reed switch, this activated it and operated car.
Removing magnet killed circuit.

It wasn't an obvious method and no-one knew of it. It was very easy to do.
I used magnet from a burglar alarm door contact, they are small and quite powerful.

In a Locost the reed switch could activate fuel relay from side within tunnel. The magnet could be kept on floor cross rail and just moved across to tunnel side to activate. It could even be used on low current ignition side.

binraker

posted on 15/9/04 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
if using a lock for anything i try and get a bramer (not sure how you spell it but i think there might be an "h" in it) lock, that is the sort with cylindrical key used on good bike locks. they are VERY hard to pick. (or at least they used to. hope someone hasen't found a way round them) but the universal key doesent work on them

MikeRJ

posted on 15/9/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by binraker
if using a lock for anything i try and get a bramer (not sure how you spell it but i think there might be an "h" in it) lock, that is the sort with cylindrical key used on good bike locks. they are VERY hard to pick. (or at least they used to. hope someone hasen't found a way round them) but the universal key doesent work on them

You might want to read how vulnerable circular barreled locks are!

Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/04 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that's got to be the simplest.

Slightly off, but has anyone seen the new sockets in Halfords?

Specially made to remove wheel locknuts !!!

How absurd is that

MikeRJ

posted on 15/9/04 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Wow that's got to be the simplest.

Slightly off, but has anyone seen the new sockets in Halfords?

Specially made to remove wheel locknuts !!!

How absurd is that

Went to get one the other day as I lost the special "key" for the wheel nuts on my MR2. Wouldn't fit down the holes in the wheel though, so not much use!

Eventualy found the key in one of the other wheels still in the wheel nut! (behind a cover). Had been there since I changed the tyres about 3000 miles before.

binraker

posted on 16/9/04 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
any one done thins themselves? if sow how many pins are ther in your lock. my big ass d-lock has 8 but the good ones have up to 32 and youd need one big ass pen to open that

MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by binraker
any one done thins themselves? if sow how many pins are ther in your lock. my big ass d-lock has 8 but the good ones have up to 32 and youd need one big ass pen to open that

I managed to open a Kensington microsaver laptop security cable pretty quickly using the same technique.

DarrenW

posted on 17/9/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if any low life wanted a particular car they would take it regardless of security measures. I would suggest the real essence of the security measures we are trying to take has to be in increasing the time taken to get the car running. In the past i have concluded that hidden switches may be the order of the day as they need to be found first.
I had a mate who fitted a good old fashioned switch on the dash, only this was also connected in series to a hidden switch behind the headliner of his saloon. Both had to be engaged to activate the fuel pump relay.
Of course locost's dont lend themselves easily to hiding anything, but two switches in series will make it a bit more of a challenge, one of them could be a touch on immobiliser type (toad laserkey etc) located out of sight

Darren.

DaveFJ

posted on 17/9/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Eventualy found the key in one of the other wheels still in the wheel nut! (behind a cover). Had been there since I changed the tyres about 3000 miles before.

I did this with my old scirocco, I re-fitted the wheels and then drove 10 miles to town. as i parked in the car park I heard a knock from the front wheel. When i looked my 'nut key' thingy was lying on the floor next tomy wheel !! Jammie git or what ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Rob Lane

posted on 17/9/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
The immobiliser unit has arrived and it looks a nice piece of kit.

I'm now deciding which way to have it operate on the ignition/ start sequence.

I'm changinmg the dash for a carbon fibre item and I will probably be changing the layout slightly for the switches.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.