Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 poor running
lucy

posted on 30/9/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1 poor running

Im trying to determine the problem with my 06 R1 engine.
The engine starts and runs but lacks power and sounds like a V twin! (exhaust is split with 2 into 1 each side of the body).
I know only a small amount about engines but have determined that number 2 header is running much cooler than the other three. Also the plug is sooty. There is no smoke from the exhaust. There may sometimes be a cicking sound from one side of the split exhausts.
A mechanic has done a compression test which showed a slightly lower pressure on the cylinder with the sooty plug but not as much as I would have expected.
The plugs have been changed and the caps have been changed around without any difference to the header temps.
Am I correct in thinking that if the plug is sooty the injecter is supplying fuel?
A leaking valve is the main suspect.
I pressume a leak down test is the way to go but wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be.

lucy

posted on 30/9/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Please excuse my ignorance, but is there a v simple test I can do to check that the spark plug is firing?
Also, what's involved in removing the injector and testing/cleaning it?

daniel mason

posted on 30/9/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
swap 2 plugs over and see if the exhaust gets warm.

lucy

posted on 30/9/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Change of plug makes no diff.
Just wondered if I could perhaps take the plug out and earth it to check for a spark, thereby eliminating that as a problem? (hopefully without damaging me or the car!!)

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/9/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you connect your ignition timing light to the ignition lead feeding the dodgy cylinder then you will find out whether it is sparking.

Did you do the compression check with the throttles wide open? If not then it could possibly be due to imbalance between the ITB. Long shot though!

adithorp

posted on 30/9/12 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's coil on plug Matt so not that easy.

I doubt it'll be a missing spark or you'd have a wet plug not a sooty one. Your can pull the plugs out, connect to the coils , earth to the block and turn it over (best with the fuel pump not working) and watch for 4 sparks. If any aren't sparking move to coils to different leads and see if the mising spark moves. If it does it's the coil; If not it's the wiring loom or the ECU (seen that before) If a coil/spark fails on the 06 R1 it won't run though so agian doubt it's spark related... Have you checked the plug gaps?

More likely is a sticking injector. Try some injector cleaner in the fuel.

Have you got the original clocks? If so you can, via the diagnostic mode, test fire each plug/coil and each injector. Instructions for doing it are in the Yamaha service manual. If you haven't got the manual u2u me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/9/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
It's coil on plug Matt so not that easy.

You chaps with your newfangled engines

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/10/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Pull off the injector lead, then put it back, one at a time, while the engine is running. Any difference? There's your cylinder/injector identified. Now do the same for the ignition coils. Before you make any initial assumptions about the outcome of this, remember that the ECU will cut the fuel on a cylinder if it can't see a coil. Inspection of the plugs after this will hint as to whether it's fuel or spark. Your problem resides here.
If the components look OK (resistive values are a reasonable, though not certain, quick indication), check there's continuity out from the ECU. Your coils are pin numbers 1,2,3 and 23 on the ECU.

Other things.. leaks in the TB mounts or depression piping. Those mounting rubbers leak when theres a hamfisted approach to tightening the lower clamp (it twists and pops out of the groove).

Looking more broadly, you'll get a very rich burning Harley Davidson if things like the atmospheric pressure sensor aren't hooked up and running OK. Some will run on like a Harley, others will foul up the plugs and stop.

The error codes and diagnostics on the clocks will help, sometimes there's no error code, but at least you have a diagnostic functionality. Get some clocks if you have none.

Bottom line - this is a fundamental fault. If the ECU allows you to start and run the engine, you should be able to get to the issue very quickly...

Oh, pointless saying this, but if you've got any PC's, quickshifters or anything else in there, remove them.

RickRick

posted on 1/10/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
slightly off topic here, but if i wanted to add the yamaha clocks to my 5vy, which wires would i need to reinstate?
lucy

posted on 1/10/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
STOP PRESS

Numpty alert.

I've only done about 60 miles in this new(to me) car and was always disappointed in the performance. Due to all the sensible suggestions from others I am no longer disappointed.

When I got back from work tonight I thought I would swop the injectors around to see what I could determine. Imagine my joy and utter disbelief when I found that I had been driving around with the plug leading to the injector hanging off! I pushed it home and checked the others and fired it up. Wow what a difference. It now sounds like a proper motorbike, revs freely and goes like a fast thing goes. Its not a car it's rocket ship.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

sdh2903

posted on 1/10/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Simple fixes are always the best

enjoy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.