Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Application Form q's
andrew_s

posted on 1/10/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Application Form q's

Just looking at the IVA application form – form filling brings me out in a strange rash, so if this obvious I apologise, but I just cannot do forms, I have read the guidance notes to the best of my ability

3u. What are the design weights of the vehicle?
For an amateur built vehicle do you need to provide the weights in question 3u ? – that to my mind only seems relevant to goods vehicles, or do I need to fill it in ?

3d. What is the date of manufacture?

Date of manufacturer 3d – Do you just put the date you sign the form as that’s when it will be finished (Well I hope so anyway)

3s. What is the maximum design road speed of the vehicle?

Maximum road speed, just go with say 100 mph, or 70mph ? or actually calculate what you might get if you can pull max rpm in top gear ?

Make and model – do you have to put what is on your vin plate from the kit provider or can you put what you like ?

Thanks in advance

I predict a Riot

posted on 1/10/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
3u - Get this from the kit manufacturer as you have to allow for a design weight for the driver and possible passengers and luggage. You can't just add up the axle weights.

3d - the day of your IVA

3S - calculate it from engine revs and tyre size or if using the same ratios and tyres that the donor did use that, I know your car may be lighter but it ain't as aerodynamic. Make sure that your speedo is able to display this theoretical speed.

Regards

Adrian

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

Macbeast

posted on 1/10/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Difficuly to put the date of the IVA if you are applying for a test and don't know what date they will give you. I put as the date of application.

I think you are allowed to quote max speed as the max shown on the Speedo plus one graduation - probably 10 mph. But you might as well put max shown on speedo as they won't test it anyway. But be sure your tyre speed ratings exceed your quoted speed.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

andrew_s

posted on 1/10/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good point about tyre rating and I will go with date of application :-)
I predict a Riot

posted on 1/10/12 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Should of read -

3d - the day of your IVA application.

Time machine ordered!

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

deezee

posted on 1/10/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
For my application it was as follows

3U - Axle 1 - 450 Kgs
Axle 2 - 450 Kgs
Gross - 900 Kgs

YES You can just add up the axle weights....

3D - The date when you're car was ready for the application. Mine was the same month as the IVA Application form

3S - Maximum road speed needs to be practical. I put down 118mph as it sounds less guessed than 120mph. As mentioned this is for the speedo and tyre ratings.

Make and model - Yes you can call it what you want

If you want a copy to look at, I can email over my IVA application to you.

snapper

posted on 1/10/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Max speed is for the tyre ratings make sure your tyres are rated faster than the top speed you put in
Roughly 120 to 130mph is accepted for a 7 by IVA
Design weight is the maximum loaded weight of the at plus a bit
They also use this to calculate brake efficiency
Your design weight should be axle weights when the car is full of all fluids + 75kg per seat + 25 kg per seat luggage minimum
The kit manufacturer will have correct weights and be able to furnish with a headed letter

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

andrew_s

posted on 1/10/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pm sent - many thanks
deezee

posted on 1/10/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
With the design weights. Play the game. When the good old inspector looks at your car, have matching numbers stamped on the manufacturers plate on the car. They'll match up and the inspector won't pay it any more attention. Its not like they have a book of vehicle weights to check against and you'll fail if its incorrect. Its a self build and VOSA are very understanding of this. The DVLA however.... well the DVLA don't even know what a car is.

Slimy38

posted on 1/10/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee well the DVLA don't even know what a car is.

LOL!!!!

With regards to design weights etc, what happens if you're welding your own chassis and not going anywhere near any of the kit car manufacturers? I also didn't realise the design weights had to be stamped on the chassis, I thought it was only the chassis number?

deezee

posted on 1/10/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I also didn't realise the design weights had to be stamped on the chassis, I thought it was only the chassis number?

The design weights etc go on a 'manufacturers plate' You buy them from somewhere like VIN Plates UK stamp them yourself and just put them somewhere you choose. I choose the bulkhead / scuttle.

steve m

posted on 1/10/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
"3U - Axle 1 - 450 Kgs
Axle 2 - 450 Kgs
Gross - 900 Kgs "

Do chieftan tanks need an iva?

emlyno

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I never put any weight details on my car, just a VIN plate.
BobM

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emlyno
I never put any weight details on my car, just a VIN plate.

Wot he said - manufacturer's plate just needs name of manufacturer + chassis number.

Not very Locost but very BEC

-matt

posted on 2/10/12 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
quote:

I also didn't realise the design weights had to be stamped on the chassis, I thought it was only the chassis number?

The design weights etc go on a 'manufacturers plate' You buy them from somewhere like VIN Plates UK stamp them yourself and just put them somewhere you choose. I choose the bulkhead / scuttle.

I would recommend against using that plate, as it is not IVA compliant and is likely to fail (mine did).

Just get a rectangular piece of aluminium, stamp the manufacturers name at top, with chassis number underneath, then score a line under that. that is all you need. but you can put the weights underneath the line if you wish.

Slimy38

posted on 2/10/12 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt

Just get a rectangular piece of aluminium, stamp the manufacturers name at top, with chassis number underneath, then score a line under that. that is all you need. but you can put the weights underneath the line if you wish.

OK, so as a follow up question, who would be the manufacturer if I had made the chassis from stock steel? Would the manufacturer be 'me'?

deezee

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I would recommend against using that plate, as it is not IVA compliant and is likely to fail (mine did).

Why exactly did they fail yours? Mine passed the IVA with out a problem?

[Edited on 2/10/12 by deezee]

-matt

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Because the manual states that the info must be in the correct order/the same as their diagram.

And yes the manufacturer would be you. Or as long as there is a manufacturer.

adithorp

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

OK, so as a follow up question, who would be the manufacturer if I had made the chassis from stock steel? Would the manufacturer be 'me'?

Yes, that'd be you. either put your name or "Slimey38 Motors" or whatever.

Design weights is the max that the car is "theretically" designed to be. So car full of fuel passengers, luggage and a whopping big V12 that you decide to fit in 10 years time. At IVA they'll wegh it, add a fixed amount for occupants and luggage and as long as this is less than on your form and the stated max isn't stupid (ie dont put 3tons) you'll be OK. The actual weight from the scales is used to calculate the brake force. Most put 450, 450, 900 or 500, 500, 1000.

max speed from the form is only used to check the tyre rating. 120-130 woud be fine. 70 would be takng the pish...

date of manufacture... IVA date is as good as any.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

andrew_s

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replies, its all making sense now, and thanks for your email as well deezee , really appreciated

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.