Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh, how i love the fickle media.....
richard thomas

posted on 3/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, how i love the fickle media.....

Waiting for the ten o'clock news tonight to find out how the search for the poor missing girl April Jones is going....the main topic of conversation in my workplace today......all in total dismay....only to discover the top story tonight is about the railway franchise......

Glad to see that the BBC is tuned in to the more important things in our lives......

My (and those around me) hopes and prayers for her and the family......

[Edited on 3/10/12 by richard thomas]

Chippy

posted on 3/10/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think your sentiment applies to most right thinking people, it's at least how me and Mrs Chippy feel. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

steve m

posted on 3/10/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree, as we had listened to the radio, in the car earlier, same,

Steve

scootz

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Heard her mum breaking down on the radio yesterday... absolutely heartbreaking.

It's Evolution Baby!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 4/10/12 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
+1, sad times we live in

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

loggyboy

posted on 4/10/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Not that trains are more important, but I would assume if there was no 'new' news they felt it was better to 2nd bill the already reported stories of the case.

On a nother note whilst I of couse hope she is found soon and well, and have sympathy for the family, what on earth was a 5yr old doing out unsupervised at 730 at night?!

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 4/10/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The thing is if there is a new development it will move up the order, I think everybody is very worried about this little girl but there is little for the media to report this morning.
The big question apart from finding and saving the girl is have the cops got the right suspect or have they just picked up a loner connected to the family has just behaved suspiciously and drives a vehicle that "sort of "meets the discription the other kids gave.

At least this time certain papers won't be hacking phone messages or bribing the police for tips.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Peteff

posted on 4/10/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboyOn another note whilst I of course hope she is found soon and well, and have sympathy for the family, what on earth was a 5yr old doing out unsupervised at 730 at night?!

It's sad that we have to think like this isn't it ? She was not alone, there were other kids there playing and it was an estate where it is probably generally accepted that little kids will be safe playing round a friend's house. Don't start questioning the parent's abilities to look after their kids, give them your sympathy and support don't start blaming them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dhutch

posted on 4/10/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The thing is if there is a new development it will move up the order, I think everybody is very worried about this little girl but there is little for the media to report this morning.

This is my thoughts, its a very sad story, and I didnt see the new report in question, but surely if there is no development there is no news, so they reported the next biggest story, which is about the epic cockup on the rail franchise.

Daniel

loggyboy

posted on 4/10/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
It's sad that we have to think like this isn't it ? She was not alone, there were other kids there playing and it was an estate where it is probably generally accepted that little kids will be safe playing round a friend's house. Don't start questioning the parent's abilities to look after their kids, give them your sympathy and support don't start blaming them.

It is sad yes, but its life.
She was with a 7 year old, who was the last person to see her. Playing around a freinds house is very different to playing on the street at dusk (if not darkness).

Im not blaming, merely stating a FACT that young children should be supervised.

Mistral Motorsport

dhutch

posted on 4/10/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
It is sad yes, but its life.
She was with a 7 year old, who was the last person to see her. Playing around a freinds house is very different to playing on the street at dusk (if not darkness).

Im not blaming, merely stating a FACT that young children should be supervised.

Hard though isnt it. I grew up in the countryside and at five/six/7 me and my sister/brother would go out on our bikes up the street a mile or so, play in the feilds, farm tracks.

Machynlleth isnt perfect but its not exactly rough!

Daniel

[Edited on 4/10/2012 by dhutch]

David Jenkins

posted on 4/10/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Hard though isnt it. I grew up in the countryside and at five/six/7 me and my sister/brother would go out on our bikes up the street a mile or so, play in the feilds, farm tracks.

When I was that age I lived in a council estate on the outskirts of Swansea - all the kids used to play in the streets, and we used to go to friends' houses 1 or 2 streets away.

Even when I was 10 or 11 I used to wander around the coastline of the Gower peninsula, either with friends or by myself. There were dodgy characters around, even then, but all the kids knew who they were and stayed well away. Even more important, the kids' fathers (and big brothers) knew who the dodgy characters were, and all those characters knew it...

The difference now is that if a kid is snatched they can be on the other side of the country in 4 or 5 hours. Even worse, the villains can *be* from the other side of the country, out touring for a victim.

I think it's desperately sad that kids can't roam around like they could when I was a puppy - I got into trouble, injured myself now and again, but generally had a rare old time. Even though kids are probably just as safe as they were back then, the parents are too scared to let them roam. They are missing out on so much character development...

[Edited on 4/10/12 by David Jenkins]

scootz

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
These poor folks have done nothing wrong.

It's Evolution Baby!

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
These poor folks have done nothing wrong.

Totally agree, seems to be the "British" way that somebody's always to blame..............the Mccans on the other hand ...................

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

scootz

posted on 4/10/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed... the McCanns should have gone to jail!

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 4/10/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I dont see the difference. Leaving a child alone in a holiday apartment is no worse than leaving your child wandering the streets at night.
I was in bed by 7pm every school night until I was 10, my parents werent over protective and I lived in one of the nicest areas of my home town.

Mistral Motorsport

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/10/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I dont see the difference. Leaving a child alone in a holiday apartment is no worse than leaving your child wandering the streets at night.
I was in bed by 7pm every school night until I was 10, my parents werent over protective and I lived in one of the nicest areas of my home town.

I think for the sake of good taste and empathy for other people its probably best to leave it there.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Litemoth

posted on 4/10/12 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There was a piece on the welsh news this evening where local residents were saing this is a very tight knit rural communty that still (maybe not now) leaves it's doors open when they go out and could (now a changed community) have left their children play out in safety....as many of us did as kids. You can see by the really huge number of locals (and not so locals) that have turned out to help, the strength of community feeling.

Apparently we are all being too tight-reigned and risk-averse with children these days...they are being stifled by over protective parents we hear. The flip side is, how do you ever forgive yourself when something like this happens.

It's a difficult balance to strike.

blakep82

posted on 4/10/12 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Glad to see that the BBC is tuned in to the more important things in our lives......

now, this won't go well with some people but here goes...

its a terible thing to have happened to any family, and its horrible seeing the parents on TV with their hearts breaking, being ripped out at every news conference. i don't really need/want to see other people's misery. if she's found, then i want to know, if the outcome isn't so good, then people need to hear for some sort of closure.

however, as said if there's no news, no developments, then its not going to be the headline, something else has to take place, otherwise we'd still have still have a disappearance or murder from 30 or 40 years ago taking 1st place on the news headlines.

but, if you want to talk about 'important things in our lives' well, to be brutally honest, its not really imporant to my life, if i didn't listen to the radio, or watch tv, or buy news papers (none of which i really do, well not for the news anyway. i listen to the radio and watch tv) my life would continue the same. thats the honest reality of it.

the train line business might actually be of more use to me, i may one day have to get the west coast train to london, but i won't ever be the little girls parents or family. if the news was to broadcast info that was of use to me, it wouldn't be ANY use to anyone else.

i saw the map of the estate where she was playing, and when i was that age (or til i was 11 and in high school) i wasn't even allowed to the end of my road, and you can see the end of my road from the house, never mind 3 streets away, playing at 7.30, when i'm pretty sure its dark out this time of year. its definitely not far off it here, and i think it gets dark a little later the further north you go.

I hope she's found safe and well though, i fear its not likely now though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richard thomas

posted on 5/10/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas

its a terible thing to have happened to any family, and its horrible seeing the parents on TV with their hearts breaking, being ripped out at every news conference. i don't really need/want to see other people's misery. if she's found, then i want to know, if the outcome isn't so good, then people need to hear for some sort of closure.

however, as said if there's no news, no developments, then its not going to be the headline, something else has to take place, otherwise we'd still have still have a disappearance or murder from 30 or 40 years ago taking 1st place on the news headlines.

but, if you want to talk about 'important things in our lives' well, to be brutally honest, its not really imporant to my life, if i didn't listen to the radio, or watch tv, or buy news papers (none of which i really do, well not for the news anyway. i listen to the radio and watch tv) my life would continue the same. thats the honest reality of it.

the train line business might actually be of more use to me, i may one day have to get the west coast train to london, but i won't ever be the little girls parents or family. if the news was to broadcast info that was of use to me, it wouldn't be ANY use to anyone else.

i saw the map of the estate where she was playing, and when i was that age (or til i was 11 and in high school) i wasn't even allowed to the end of my road, and you can see the end of my road from the house, never mind 3 streets away, playing at 7.30, when i'm pretty sure its dark out this time of year. its definitely not far off it here, and i think it gets dark a little later the further north you go.

I hope she's found safe and well though, i fear its not likely now though...

Fair point, everybody has and is entitled to an opinion. This is after all a free country, and I respect yours.

I was trying to put across the point that this event is current and recent (it still is). And important to many like me (given conversations I am still having). It does after all inform and influence how people like me (a typical family man) should look to gauge what level of measures we should put in place in our ever evolving world to ensure we keep our children safe, yet don't restrict their activities to the point that they cannot understand a level of independance which might affect their development.

If we all took the view that events that cause other peoples' suffering were not important in our lives, then the world would look a bit different these days.

As an example, when Germany invaded Europe - if it was topical for a day and a half, then the media moved on to the fact that there was a good chance that Spam supplies were running short and it became the main topic of reporting then we might have lost focus a bit and left them to it? With the inevitable consequences.....but as I said this is a free country because of the focus on the important things to the greater masses at the time.....

Extreme example admittedly, but what I am trying to get across here is that we live in a community that is maybe losing focus on what is important.

Maybe it is just me, but when I watch the news (because I am interested in and concerned about the welfare of others....it's called being compassionate, the (I hope) typical British citizen) in this scenario I am looking to understand the latest news on the welfare of a young child before the latest news on the train timetable.....

'I'm alright Jack'?

(Edited just to say that our prayers are still with the family - Rich)

[Edited on 5/10/12 by richard thomas]

scootz

posted on 5/10/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Are you being serious?

The Jones let their little girl play with kids they know, in streets they know, in the community they live in. Something that's part of 'normal' everyday life.

The McCanns, however, left Madeleine in an apartment she was unfamiliar with, in a foreign country... whilst they went out and got pissed!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

richard thomas

posted on 5/10/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:

I think for the sake of good taste and empathy for other people its probably best to leave it there.

Agreed, this was not the intention of my post....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.