Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiler change question.
zilspeed

posted on 6/10/12 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Boiler change question.

Currently have an ultra reliable old wall mounted conventional boiler.
Indirect cylinder for the hot water and cold storage in the attic.

Yet again, I'm thinking of ditching the old ultra reliable but dreadfully inefficient boiler for a new condensing combi boiler.
This would, of course, mean ditching the cylinder.

Heating engineers, any pointers for me regarding the complexity of the job and the likely cost ?

Also, what's your recommended boiler for reliability.

Or should we stick with a conventional boiler, but more efficient ?

[Edited on 6/10/12 by zilspeed]

rusty nuts

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder how long it will take to recover the cost of a new boiler?
zilspeed

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Yes, I do indeed.

That's why I'm trying to work out a realistic cost.
I can't make a decision prior to knowing the cost, expected life of the boiler and also the realistic efficiency savings.

We've been in here 9 years and I've yet to fit a thermocouple to the boiler.
I did fit a new pump to the system earlier this year, but the old one was about 25 years old.

It's all up in the air at the moment.

daniel mason

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
you could fit a system boiler and pressurised cylinder but that would cost more in parts but probably less upheaval of your house if cylinder stays where it is

cliftyhanger

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
In Brighton a combi boiler swap is £1500, assuming you already have a combi. That is for a vaillant or worcester. Saying that we are stiched up around here, and it is a cartel, they all charge the same within a few quid

Realistically you will save money, but maintenance can be an issue. Boards can go, as can heat exhangers and all sorts.

You will als need a very thorough system clean, that can cost a few quid. In the replacement system (been in 12 years) the chap just did a chemical flush, and I fitted a magnaclean. When refilled used sential stuff, and after the initial busket of black iron oxide the magnaclean collected, it has since been very clean. Combi's seem to be pretty fussy about a clean system, yours is likely very gunky.

jossey

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
A ideal standard 30l is about 1100-1200 fitted

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rich201283

posted on 6/10/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Here is a rough cost of the boilers we have purchased

Ideal independant for around £478

Potterton Apollo around £450 - Not a bad boiler

We prefer to fit the Ideal - They used to have a bad reputation but the latest ones we very rarely have any problems and they seem reliable.

We tent to stay away from Ferrolli,Biasi - Normally quite expensive to repair if they go wrong.

chillis

posted on 6/10/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:

Yes, I do indeed.

I can't make a decision prior to knowing the cost, expected life of the boiler and also the realistic efficiency savings.

I did fit a new pump to the system earlier this year, but the old one was about 25 years old.

You need to factor in the shorter life of the modern boilers. Since 2000 i've had to replace a combi at my old house that was less than 5 years old within a year almost everyone in the street had had to replace theirs (was a new build street)
Then after 20 years replaced the old faithful at parents house, with a worster which lasted 6 years before the heat exchanger split drowning the kitchen and ruining the laminate flooring and blowiing the boiler control board. wasn't feasable to repair the boiler so new one fitted at cost of £1200. If they're are only going to last around 6 years then you need to factor a replacement cost of at least £250 per year.
I'd stick with the old one until it breaks down and cant be repaired.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

zilspeed

posted on 6/10/12 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:

Yes, I do indeed.

You need to factor in the shorter life of the modern boilers. Since 2000 i've had to replace a combi at my old house that was less than 5 years old within a year almost everyone in the street had had to replace theirs (was a new build street)
Then after 20 years replaced the old faithful at parents house, with a worster which lasted 6 years before the heat exchanger split drowning the kitchen and ruining the laminate flooring and blowiing the boiler control board. wasn't feasable to repair the boiler so new one fitted at cost of £1200. If they're are only going to last around 6 years then you need to factor a replacement cost of at least £250 per year.
I'd stick with the old one until it breaks down and cant be repaired.

I feared this.

Nobody seems to be able to confirm a make or model of Combi that might be expected to last into a lifespan of double figures.

It would have to in order to make any sort of sense at all.

Peteff

posted on 7/10/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Our boiler is 30 years old at least and is staying till it dies. A friend of mine had his boiler pack up at 5 years old and it was deemed obsolete and no spares available so it cost him £1700 to replace it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Locost_col

posted on 13/10/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If you we're going down the conversion to a combi route then you would expect to pay anything fom £2.5k upwards depending on the work required and the output of the boiler.

There can be quite a lot involved depending on your current system.

The installation has to be brought up to today's standards so that's minimum of thermostatic valves on radiators, bypass and a room stat/ programmable stat. The gas pipe will almost certainly need upgrading to at least 22 mm to provide an adequate supply of gas. Also the system will need to be power flushed to remove the years of sludge in the system.

If all this is done then there's no reason your boiler won't last into double figures. Most premature failures that I go are due to poor installation in the first place.

Have a look at "Remeha" boilers the avanta exclusive is a great boiler and comes with a 5 yr parts and labour warranty with the option to upgrade to 7

Hope this helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.