Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1100 no start, no spark
RPB34096

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 no start, no spark

I'm a newie to the site and kit car building.....sorry to bring up the same issue as in previous threads but looking over these I can't find a simple solution for the newbie car builder and car electrician like me!

Engine in (ZZR1100 C3) and all wired up (using the bike loom fused into the the dax rush loom and a sierra column ignition switch).

So, the engine turns but it will not fire (I gravity feed fuel direct to the carbs as the fuel pump doesn't run either) - looking at the plugs theres no spark (or if there is it is very weak!). Looks like I've missed an electrical switch or something? I realise, from here, there are a number of switches which need to be bi-passed and have done as described below....

Side stand - green/white fused to black/yellow.
Clutch - green/yellow fused to black/yellow (in gear start)
Start switch - black/red fused to red (common coil) and both run to the cranking terminal (Black/blue) on the column ignition. No need to worry about the stop switch with this setup - I don't think?
No resistor fitted - I believe this is not required on ZZR1100 C models

The only thing I haven't done is earth the neutral swich - Is this essential? Is this my problem? Its easy to do so not a problem.

I'm looking for someone to confirm or not that the above looks ok and provide any additional things that I may have missed or overlooked. Any help much appreciated!

daviep

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
You don't say what you have done with the original bike key operated ignition switch? This supplies power to the ECU, coils and fuel pump.

Have you connected all the earths from bike loom? The ECU needs to see an earth before it will work.

Are you using the bike clocks and stuff?

Best idea would be to ditch the loom and just use the bits from it you need.

Using my very best paint skills see below the easy way to wire up the ZZR1100 C ignition module without all the nutsack which the loom contains. I've used a battery to show +ve and -ve, obviously your positive should come from a fused feed from the key switch but not from the crank position, the fuel pump could be connected to the same supply. The starter solenoid would be connected directly to the key switch crank position.

[Edited on 18/10/12 by daviep]

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

RPB34096

posted on 18/10/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - diagram helps - good paint skills! better than my wiring skills!

The brown/white from the ZZR1100 key switch, via the dax loom, runs to the appropriate live/switch live terminals on the ford ignition switch (can't remember which to which but will check!) - so really just sub'ed the ford key switch in

I believe I've connected all the earths but i didn't think C ZZR models have an ECU, just the ignition box and fuse box?

I agree - With the help of a wiring diagram I removed all the unneccessary wires (light wires, handle switches etc) and just kept the essentials.....I think! Not using the clocks though.

I'll have another play this evening.

daviep

posted on 18/10/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it doesn't have an ECU I just couldn't be bothered typing "ignition box"

Personally I would junk the bike fuse box as well.

The route of the positive on the bike is:

Originates at the starter solenoid as a white wire which connects to the ignition switch.
It leaves the ignition switch as a brown wire which connects to the kill switch
It leaves the kill switch as a red wire which goes to the start switch / coils / ignition box .

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

RPB34096

posted on 18/10/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Davie - I will check tonight that all the wiring is as you describe.....hopefully it is something silly I've missed. May need more advise if all looks OK but still have the no spark and fuel pump activity issues though.........

maccmike

posted on 18/10/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
the lecky faults Iv had; fuel pump relay and fuse box.
Id look at your ignition.
theres a wiring diagram in my archives one of the locosters drew, can also find a non blurred version on google.

jossey

posted on 18/10/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I found mine wouldn't start unless I had we'll earthed the bike and loom and fitted the old and neutral sensors.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RPB34096

posted on 20/10/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all.....all sorted now . Looks like while chopping the rubbish out of the bike loom l made too many cuts After probing with the voltmeter soon sorted.....
jossey

posted on 20/10/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Glad all turned out. I have a fully stripped engine in the stage should you need cheap bits.

I have a c gearbox for £50
As I've got all the bolts etc...

My new one is a d model.

I have c carbs too for £30 (1 faulty pot)

Good for spares.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.