Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a Luego Viento - Help!
HughJars

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Buying a Luego Viento - Help!

Hi

I'm hoping that someone could help me out. I'm considering a Viento purchase, and would like some advice on the below. It seems pricy to me, but does anyone know the car, and does it look like a good buy. If so at what price?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/luego-viento--2003/540661

Thanks in advance for any help.

ragindave

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Kitcar

Realistic private re sale value of this car would probably be between £4500 to £5000 in the current climate.
SCAR

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
You need to look everywhere to find something similar for sale i.e. v8 powered 7 type to get an idea of its value. It becomes difficult to compare as you may not find anything. I suspect you will only find lots of 2 litre 4 pots at £4500. If you find any nicely built v8's not needing work at £4500 to £5000 be sure to let me know, a V8 in a 7 type is not to everyones taste but they do fetch a premium
I havent seen the car but if pushed would estimate its trade value would be arround £5500 expect to add £500 for a private sale and upto £1500 from a garage as their margins need to be a higher than on everyday motors.
Interested to hear what others think?
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds /used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/luego-viento/847601

This might help

[Edited on 24/10/12 by SCAR]

wylliezx9r

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Seems very expensive and unrealistic. Wasnt somebody selling one on here ? I'm sure it was a lot cheaper than that and it looked a better car.

HTH Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

maccmike

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just like works of art, its only worth what somebodies prepared to pay.
If you like it and you'd happily spend 8k on it, its worth it.

wilkingj

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
It was my car on here, and I reduced the price (ONLY) for any LCB'er, as I have had so much fun form this site and its members.
Its now on Pistonheads, and I have taken a depoist on it within a week of putting the advert on the site. (maybe I have sold it too cheaply )

You will do very VERY well to get a good V8 Viento for £4500-£5000.

That one on Piston Heads is a dealer. Its about right, and of course depends on the condition, mileage, and whats actually it is made of parts wise etc etc.
That one has Brushed Stainless sides which were an extra £100 over alluminium sides, mirror polished stainless sides were another £300 on top (and dont I know it!)

It depends on what state the V8 is. ie it could have come out of a 100k mile Landrover (low compression, high torque, and almost worn out), or only done 10k miles and out of a TVR, It would make a sizeable difference on the price.

Decent wheels, on a Viento are not cheap, but are cheaper than they used to be (£800 -1000).
17" wheels are a must, although 15" will still look OK, 13" wheels would look tiny, and out of place on a Viento.
The V8 exhaust system was close to £800 when I built mine.

Most V8 Viento's cost at least £10-12k to build, and I know of one that the chap spent over £25k And that was 6 years ago. I bet they are much more at todays prices.
I suppose it depends on how nice you want your car to be, how good an engine (straight donor job, or a recon or new engine) you want. ALL this things have a significant bearing on the build price, and the sale price.
Having said that, I dont think anyone gets back their money when selling, let alone make a profit on your car if you built it.

Viento's are not the cheapest Se7en to build, as a lot of parts fom a std Se7en will not fit.
eg Windscreen from Brasscraft is £800 alone (beautiful job, but expensive - Ask Snuggs!!)
They are virtually unobtainable at the same price as a std Se7en or even a Caterham one!
Its all down to Low volumes for a specific size of car.

As already pointed out by others, a V8 Viento will fetch a premium.

To be honest, anything other that a V8 or a straight Six in a Viento looks a bit lost! Its got a huge engine bay, giving you many more options than a std Se7en, and its easier to work on as you can get in there, even with a big engine fitted (except for Johns Viento with the V10 Dodge Viper )

A Luego Viento is a cracking car, and they dont come up for sale very often.

Just my 2d's worth

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SCAR

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Nice detail and accurate reply based on first hand experience............ much more than your 2d worth
HughJars

posted on 24/10/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
WoW!

Thanks for such good info. I intend to view the car on Friday where I plan an inspection of the car, and its accompanying paperwork.

When I have more detail on the build and components used, perhaps somebody would be kind enough to advise further.

Geoff - I did see your car on PH and if it should fall through I would be interested.

M

[Edited on 24/10/12 by HughJars]

mcerd1

posted on 24/10/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
with any kitcar check the V5c carefully, make sure its regestered correctly

I think one like that should be regestered as a Luego Viento (and not a Ford Sierra or a Dutton etc...)

it should also state that it was 'new at first regestration' which will be shortly after it passed the SVA test (I'd have to assume thats 2003 from the add, and not a 2003 chassis that was regestered later)

-

jollygreengiant

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj

To be honest, anything other that a V8 or a straight Six in a Viento looks a bit lost! Its got a huge engine bay, giving you many more options than a std Se7en, and its easier to work on as you can get in there, even with a big engine fitted (except for Johns Viento with the V10 Dodge Viper )

Oi, me and my 2.0litre pinto injection boat anchor 4 pot are quite happy.

Even on 15 inch rims.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Irony

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently building a V8 Viento with similar spec to that one. I have not cut corners but I have patiently waited for secondhand items to come for sale. I bought secondhand clocks, wheels, tyres, seats, bell housing, gearbox, carbs and all sorts of other items to keep the cost low. I even bought a block secondhand from a fella who had it rebuilt by V8 Developments and then never used it. 3.9l V8 with pocketed pistons. I have tried in everyway to pennypinch without sacrificing quality.

I will not be able to complete my build for less than 10-11K

Comments like Ragindaves upset me a little as I believe Viento's are worth far more than £4500-£5000 in good condition/build quality. That car probably cost the builder over 10k to build and I would suspect the builder of the car has rebuilt the engine as well looking at the specs (you should confirm this really). You should view the car and see how you feel.

When (if) I get my car on the road and I am forced to sell it I would be happy with 8K.

wilkingj

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:

Oi, me and my 2.0litre pinto injection boat anchor 4 pot are quite happy.

Even on 15 inch rims.

Oops... Ducks and runs for cover
JGG... There is nothing wrong with your Viento, its a Lovely Viento. You will be at shows next year with your Viento... I wont... Boo Hoo Hoo

As for the V5, mine is Q plate, and the notes on the front page of the V5 say "Was registered and / or used. Manufactured date unknown"
This is due to me not using a donor car with a V5 that I could have used for registration and then it qualifying for an Age Related Plate.

If its made from all brand new parts (one refurbished part is allowed), and say like a 61 plate. Then it would say New at First Registration. This is only the case with a car built from all new parts bar one.

Check the VIN, and the engine number, and the description should be Luego, and Viento as the model, although it might just say Leugo Viento (mine is just Luego Viento as the make, and nothing showing for the model. DVLA sometimes leave something to be desired!!
Be very wary if it has the make and or model as anything that resembles anything else.
I have seen a case of Dutton V5 being used for a Locost to avoid the SVA (was on Ebay). If someone has gone to the trouble to avoid an SVA or IVA, then what else are they hiding. Remember that in driving that vehicle, you could be putting your (and other peoples) life(s) at risk.
IMHO walk away from anything that looks even slightly dodgy, despite what the owner says.

This must be a 3d's worth!!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It was my car on here, and I reduced the price (ONLY) for any LCB'er, as I have had so much fun form this site and its members.
Its now on Pistonheads, and I have taken a depoist on it within a week of putting the advert on the site. (maybe I have sold it too cheaply )

You will do very VERY well to get a good V8 Viento for £4500-£5000.

That one on Piston Heads is a dealer. Its about right, and of course depends on the condition, mileage, and whats actually it is made of parts wise etc etc.
That one has Brushed Stainless sides which were an extra £100 over alluminium sides, mirror polished stainless sides were another £300 on top (and dont I know it!)

It depends on what state the V8 is. ie it could have come out of a 100k mile Landrover (low compression, high torque, and almost worn out), or only done 10k miles and out of a TVR, It would make a sizeable difference on the price.

Decent wheels, on a Viento are not cheap, but are cheaper than they used to be (£800 -1000).
17" wheels are a must, although 15" will still look OK, 13" wheels would look tiny, and out of place on a Viento.
The V8 exhaust system was close to £800 when I built mine.

Most V8 Viento's cost at least £10-12k to build, and I know of one that the chap spent over £25k And that was 6 years ago. I bet they are much more at todays prices.
I suppose it depends on how nice you want your car to be, how good an engine (straight donor job, or a recon or new engine) you want. ALL this things have a significant bearing on the build price, and the sale price.
Having said that, I dont think anyone gets back their money when selling, let alone make a profit on your car if you built it.

Viento's are not the cheapest Se7en to build, as a lot of parts fom a std Se7en will not fit.
eg Windscreen from Brasscraft is £800 alone (beautiful job, but expensive - Ask Snuggs!!)
They are virtually unobtainable at the same price as a std Se7en or even a Caterham one!
Its all down to Low volumes for a specific size of car.

As already pointed out by others, a V8 Viento will fetch a premium.

A Luego Viento is a cracking car, and they dont come up for sale very often.

Just my 2d's worth

I could'nt have put it better, If I sold mine I would want at least £8k......... as others have said they are very hard to find nowadays and are better than standard 7 's for taller drivers, they also handle beautifully when correctly set up,.

I know I am probably biased as I have one but I did test an MK with a Firebade in it prior to buying mine and I could hardly get in it, I am a lanky sod and 6ft though.

Just my input which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
with any kitcar check the V5c carefully, make sure its regestered correctly

I think one like that should be registered as a Luego Viento (and not a Ford Sierra or a Dutton etc...)

it should also state that it was 'new at first regestration' which will be shortly after it passed the SVA test (I'd have to assume thats 2003 from the add, and not a 2003 chassis that was regestered later)

Yes and how correct you are, I had loads of hassle with my old Sumo Cobra as it had an age related plate and on the logbook it had Ford convertable I eventually got it all sorted out with 6 months of grovelling and bribes.

Also dont be concerned about Q plates either as in reality they are better and are my preference as when M.O.T time comes they are not tested for emissions only a visual smoke test is required, and this is stated on the log book so no CATs required etc etc.

mine is registered as a Luego Viento V8, this is because when originally built it had a RV8 in it, but now has the M3 lump in it, so I have written to DVLA to get this changed;

Alfie::

SCAR

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Alfi
a bit off thread but interested to know how the m3 compares with the rv8? weight, power and to drive, presumably you did the swap as a power upgrade

ragindave

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Viento

My apologies if you own a Viento V8 they are worth at least ten grand.

If you are trying to sell one in October leading into November when the Kit car market is very depressed with a very large number of Kit cars for sale and very few buyers you will probably struggle to achieve more than 5 grand for a Viento V8 at the moment.

You may well achieve 8 grand for one after it has been in the market place for several months and the summer arrives and the economy picks up.

SCAR

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'll buy them all then at 5k each and wait till summer to sell for 8k, actually I only have space for 4, please let me know where they are.
alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
Alfi
a bit off thread but interested to know how the m3 compares with the rv8? weight, power and to drive, presumably you did the swap as a power upgrade

Hi Scar,
I did'nt do the swop on mine, but having said that ive drove both, the RV8 is a lovely old lump that is wonderfully torquey and quite a good revver especially a 4ltr if fitted with Crane Cams and solid lifters it should produce a decent 250bhp an they will rev quite happily to 6k in this form, the only thing to watch when revving this lump hard is the oil pump/distributor drive gear can wear out very rapidly its caused by Cam walk when the camshaft floats, the later injected engines dont tend to suffer this problem as much as they are fitted with a camshaft locator. but too be honest if you dont redline it all day and every day and use good oil you should'nt have any problems, also the RV8 actually weighs slightly less than a Pinto lump.

The M3 3.0 Vanus Lump is totally different in the way it produces its power its a very tractable lump until it hits around 3.5k rpm then it is manic....... it snarls and pins you to the seat right up to 7.5krpm its a remarkable engine and is silky smooth right up to the rev limiter, thats set at 7.8krpm on mine, my engine is not running CAT's and has an uprated chip.
it produces around 300bhp. the fuel consumption is not too bad at an average of 25-30mpg when not going daft.I would think the BMW lump a little heavier than the RV8 but the car feels very well planted with little or no understeer.

Got to say as the Viento has a huge engine bay and a nice wide stance it is suited to both these engines.

Hope this helps

Alfie

alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCAR
I'll buy them all then at 5k each and wait till summer to sell for 8k, actually I only have space for 4, please let me know where they are.

Ha ha I know where they are......... in ragindave's dreams

Alfie

[Edited on 24/10/12 by alfiebeard]

HughJars

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
LOL

You lot really do love 'em don't you!

In the interest of keeping you on my original question, I'll check all the things you mention and will report back.

I really appreciate all the help as without you I'd be going in blind!

Can I just ask how much more is insurance over say a 2l pinto based kit (roughly, I don't mean down to the last shilling)

alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HughJars
LOL

You lot really do love 'em don't you!

In the interest of keeping you on my original question, I'll check all the things you mention and will report back.

I really appreciate all the help as without you I'd be going in blind!

Can I just ask how much more is insurance over say a 2l pinto based kit (roughly, I don't mean down to the last shilling)

Hi HughJars and welcome to the forum mate hope you do get a Viento to keep the side up,

I pay Adrian Flux £220 fully comp with a £50 excess but I am an old git 59yrs old, and yes we do love our cars.

Hope this helps

HughJars

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

You can just call me Hugh

Perfect I had a quote from the same people for a 2l Dax at 200 so I'm hoping based on what you say not too much more for this.

I think I'm gonna like it here.....not sure Mrs Jars will feel the same. She's already using words like 'obsessed'

I've only been seriously looking for a week lol

[Edited on 24/10/12 by HughJars]

alfiebeard

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Hugh,
No probs ,........my wife does'nt even say that anymore......she just shakes her head LOl...... I only took her in the Viento once and she started screaming that I was a silly old "get "in a car thats faster than my reactions and I need to grow up

Alfie"

SCAR

posted on 24/10/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? you will find owners often prepared to show their cars off, if you are near Notts. you are welcome to come down to our car building group and look over ours

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

HughJars

posted on 25/10/12 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
That's a kind offer.

I live north staffs but work all over the country.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.