Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rocks in cockpit
RK

posted on 1/11/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
rocks in cockpit

I am getting passenger complaints, and since it's my little brother, who comes out to visit but once a year, and helps enormously in garage tidying, I listen to him.

What is the single most effective mod to prevent passengers from getting pelted? The whole car fills up with small stones with every drive. I have a full windscreen, wipers etc. I run 205 width, 15" Toyo R888 tyres.

1. Side curtains/half doors (don't want full ones) (plastic, CF, Vinyl, doesn't matter the material)
2. Small wind deflectors
3. Extra mudguards drilled into my nice carbon fibre front wings (least appealing choice)

All of these are easily made, but I only want one.

Someone has a good idea on this. You never let me down.

Thank you in advance!

Benzine

posted on 1/11/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how to stop them getting in but:

1. Collect small stones
2. Bag up and sell as Aquarium gravel
3. ????
4. Profit

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 1/11/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to say without seeing the car but I would imagine that extensions on the front mud guards would be the most effective, simplest and cheapest option. No need to drill your wings just sikaflex (or other PU adhesive) the extension on to the inside of the guard.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

bbwales

posted on 1/11/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Whilst not your favoured choice mud flaps do work well in rain and on normal roads, however I did find that whist driving through France this year on some of the roads that the Tour was going to use I still had stones being thrown at me from the resurfaced roads.

This may point you in another direction but I do like the mudflaps purely for the rain.

Regards

Bob

loggyboy

posted on 1/11/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can you rotate the wheel arches to lower the rear edge?

Mistral Motorsport

Davey D

posted on 1/11/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
i get this a lot in my MNR. The front arches come quite far round the front wheels too. i just vacuum them out every once in a while
blakep82

posted on 1/11/12 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
better than cocks in your rockpit!

i suspect mud flap/guard extentions is your only real option. i suspect most of these rocks will be flicked up by they tyres when cornering.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chippy

posted on 1/11/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem, in as much as stones marking the rear arches. I fitted mud flaps to the flont wings that extended down to around an inch, (25mm), from the road surface, worked a treat. HTH Ray
Edit to add picture, you can just about make them out on this.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 1-11-12 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

perksy

posted on 1/11/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I made some mudflaps out of 4mm sheet rubber and it made a lot of difference and kept the stones/chippings at bay
Also helped protect the body and exhaust
They remained flexible, but stable at speed and worked a treat

austin man

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
888's are the bigest problem I have winyl side panels and mud flaps the side panels alone are quite effective

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Westy1994

posted on 1/11/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have some half doors I made by cutting down the full doors that came with my car, work well at keeping most of the stuff out, but you do still get the odd stone flicking inside the car from time to time. I have since made some full doors to stop this, so I have these half doors if they are any use to you, fitted a narrow westy.
RK

posted on 2/11/12 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
probably not worth it to you to send them all the way to canada, although I am probably going to get or make some over the winter. I have an MK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.