Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone used Gillham for Haynes Roadster parts?
dcg

posted on 8/11/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used Gillham for Haynes Roadster parts?

Hi all,

I am currently planning to start my Haynes Roadster build in the next month so i am gathering parts together.

Just wondering if anyone has bought any parts from gillham online and what their experiences were like as they are fairly local to me.

www.gillhamonline.co.uk

Thanks,

deezee

posted on 8/11/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
So far only one person on the Haynes Roadster forum has used them, to buy chassis plates. They were impressed. They seem to offer the Saturn Sports Car / NTS engineering bodywork (both ceased trading). I'd wait until they had some quality recommendations from the kit car scene.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/11/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use them for bodywork. If you want quality bodywork go to equinox. I've got some Saturn bodywork and its not very good and pretty thin. Equinox are redoing mine atm much much better

http://www.equinoxproducts.co.uk/

[Edited on 8/11/12 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

AdrianH

posted on 8/11/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are you on commission or tied in them Ben as you have them in your footer?

That being said they should be able to provide very good quality fibreglass work as that seems to be their main business. I think there is a different nose cone in the offing with wide front to hide the front edge of the shocks, (I think) wait until pictures arrive on the web site.

The moulds for the NTS/Saturn parts would have been quite old by now as they started as Flabby's or Triton moulds I believe, and I have herd of odd comments where the dimensions are out from a few builders, so something to watch for although the moulds can be corrected.

AGM also do very nice work, have been to his shop and had a look at some of his work and it was exceptional to the eye. I think it all comes down to styling choices.

The AGM and Equimox parts have a similar style of butting up edges, so that dowels can be used to secure one to the other

Rear wings and front cycle wings are still quite universal as I have found after needing to replace all my wings at one point due to little mistakes.

The items one would find very hard to make yourself are nose and scuttle, the rest could be done in aluminium if you like that type of thing (yes I do). But you may also need the rear tub in fibreglass if you don’t have the tubes on the back.

I would say if your close to equinox use them, if you are close to another company check them out and shop around. Your preference may be for unusual colours so always make sure you have that option where ever you go.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/11/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH

Adrian

No just have bodywork from both and the difference is massive

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

AdrianH

posted on 9/11/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
OK promoting them because of service, nothing wrong with that!

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/11/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH

That being said they should be able to provide very good quality fibreglass work as that seems to be their main business. I think there is a different nose cone in the offing with wide front to hide the front edge of the shocks, (I think) wait until pictures arrive on the web site.

New Nosecone shape, Daves just emailed me picture of my new Nosecone

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Padstar

posted on 5/2/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see the picture of the nose cone.. Is it the wide option on their website? I am wondering how this fits with the side panels as i think it looks better than the standard unit.

Also do you know if their rear tub fits to standard book frame or are modifications required.

They are only 50 miles from me which i think is close enough to travel to if its a quality product.

jps

posted on 5/2/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up Equinox bodywork about 3 weeks ago. Apparently the rear panel will go over the book frame (i.e. curved top tubes) but I am considering cutting mine off anyway... I picked mine up and it's 90 miles - just didn't trust someone else shipping a full bodykit. The Christmas offer of £695 seemed too good to pass up!
Slimy38

posted on 5/2/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on using them for chassis plates and possibly their wishbones. I doubt they can do much wrong with pieces of metal, the wishbones are obviously a bit more critical.
Padstar

posted on 5/2/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
£700 for the lot? Good price. May see if I can get them to hold that price in a month or two when I take the plunge. Do they look good quality? If u leave the book tubes on would you mind letting me know if they do fit straight on and maybe a pic.

Any idea what the thinking is behind the wider nose?

dcg

posted on 25/2/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Well i bit the bullet and ordered some wishbones and a nose cone from gillhamonline. I have to say that both look like good items.
Slimy38

posted on 25/2/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcg
Well i bit the bullet and ordered some wishbones and a nose cone from gillhamonline. I have to say that both look like good items.

If you don't mind me asking, how quickly did they send the items out after you placed the order? I appreciate they are made to order but I'm just wondering how long it takes.

dcg

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by dcg

If you don't mind me asking, how quickly did they send the items out after you placed the order? I appreciate they are made to order but I'm just wondering how long it takes.

The items were sent in 2 parts, wishbones came in under 2 weeks (i think it was about 11-12 days) and the nose took 3 weeks.

Slimy38

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcg

The items were sent in 2 parts, wishbones came in under 2 weeks (i think it was about 11-12 days) and the nose took 3 weeks.

Excellent, thanks. I like the two part delivery, I would expect wishbones to be a quicker turnaround than body parts. Although thinking about it packaging the two items together is just asking for trouble.

rallyelwood

posted on 15/7/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning to buy rear uprights and bushings from them, but since earlier this spring their website seems to have disappeared. I e-mailed with them earlier this year and they mentioned that they were in the process of merging with a an other company. Do anyone knows what happened?

Where can I otherwise get ready-made rear uprights and bushings for Haynes Roadster?

Saab 99 GLT16 -84
Kobolt Runabout mkI -?? (Haynes Roadster)

Neilwilson

posted on 16/7/15 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
Try Talon Motorsport (Phil), he fabricates quality pieces and price is competitive. Always used his services recently and never had any problems. Swift deliveries too.
Talon Motorsport

posted on 16/7/15 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neilwilson
Try Talon Motorsport (Phil), he fabricates quality pieces and price is competitive. Always used his services recently and never had any problems. Swift deliveries too.

Swift deliveries from me... lol I must have been having a few good days strung together some where....

Talon motor sport has since changed trading names to Talon motor fabrication due to some confusion people where having between myself and Jerry Hawkridge at Talon sports cars. I was going to call the outfit some along the lines of 'Eagle' but some bugger is using that too...

Phil Eagle aka Talon motor fabrication

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neilwilson

posted on 16/7/15 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Can't complain with my lead times
You need to investigate bodywork Phil. I will happily take some of the test pieces off your hands.

jps

posted on 16/7/15 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Some recent updates over on the Haynes forum: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13665 - it seems Gilham has re-launched itself as http://chameleon-garage.co.uk/...

Not sure whether the tactic of trialling a business under one name, then restarting it under another, instills confidence or not - personally it seems a bit weird to me - but I am coming to the conclusion that with all kit car suppliers, it seems the best thing to do is see people and their products in the flesh - then make your own mind up.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 16/7/15 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neilwilson
Can't complain with my lead times
You need to investigate bodywork Phil. I will happily take some of the test pieces off your hands.

I have the plugs to make the basic GRP parts what I have been lacking for the past 5 yrs is the funding for the materials for the moulds...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.