Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Six point harness question
SteveWallace

posted on 17/11/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Six point harness question

Maybe a daft question, but can a six point harness be used as a four point harness - i.e. is it safe/legal to use a six point buckle with only four harness straps, not using the two crotch straps or are the angles that they come out of the buckle wrong?
alexg1965

posted on 17/11/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures of both to show that the 6 point is OK as a 4 point. The only problem you may have is that 6 point harnesses don't come with the same quick release and aren't suitably marked for IVA.

blakep82

posted on 17/11/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexg1965
Pictures of both to show that the 6 point is OK as a 4 point. The only problem you may have is that 6 point harnesses don't come with the same quick release and aren't suitably marked for IVA.

they're absolutely fine with a twist buckle if FIA approved. have been for years now
since 2010(?) FIA approval for belts automatically is an IVA approval, regardless of the type

I got 4 point harnesses from Prima Motorsport, and they 4 points and 6 points use the exact same buckle (ie a 6 point buckle)
except, 6 points buckles are attached tot he crotch strap, and 4 points to one of the lap belts, so one of the releases has to be disabled depending on how they're used.

[Edited on 17/11/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Fatgadget

posted on 17/11/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
The whole point of a six point full harness is to prevent 'sub-marrining' in the event of an accident.....Anyone ever eh sub-marrined in a car accident?
SteveWallace

posted on 17/11/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not very keen on which bit of my body will stop me moving if I use a six point harness!!!!

I would have thought that you would only have a real risk of submarining if you were in a fairly horizontal driving position (as in an F1 car) or had a really really big crash in a more normal driving position. Anything fairly upright and your delicate bits would get very squashed!!!

BangedupTiger

posted on 17/11/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Using only 4 points will be fine. The camlock will only have 5 slots anyway, as the crotch strap is actually one loop bolted to the chassis at 2 seperate points.

6 point is fine and your plums will be safe, I would never use a 5 point harness, I've heard of a few horror stories with the odd split sack.

umgrybab

posted on 4/12/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Using only 4 points will be fine. The camlock will only have 5 slots anyway, as the crotch strap is actually one loop bolted to the chassis at 2 seperate points.

6 point is fine and your plums will be safe, I would never use a 5 point harness, I've heard of a few horror stories with the odd split sack.

I can confirm everything this man said is true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.