Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: electic choke for bike carbs?
blakep82

posted on 22/11/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
electic choke for bike carbs?

has anyone ever seen this done, or got any ideas how it might work?

i'd like to make use of the choke on the zx9r carbs, don't really want a cable on the dash though. its only thin carbon fibre, a bit bendy, and i've not really got anything more substantial to fix the cable on to, so i'm wondering if theres any sort of electric linear activator thing that can fit on the choke cable things, and work off a small push button switch on the dash?
either latching or momentary switch. not really tried starting the car in the cold, but never had a problem firing up straight away from a cold engine without the choke, but never tried below about 10 degrees, so maybe even a momentary switch to just get it started, hold down a few seconds, then let go would work?

any ideas?

also, just a mention, anyone got any 225/50r15 tyres laying about? prefer toyo t1r, but could be anything, part work, completely bald, whatever, just to check front wheel clearances etc

[Edited on 22/11/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Autosri

posted on 22/11/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I made a setup for my dcoe 40s used a big solenoid from eBay an old bike cable a momentery push button and it works perfectly

Get in let fuel pump prime hold button and start hold for 5 seconds and your perfect

tegwin

posted on 22/11/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I built a remote choke for a hovercraft a few years ago using a decent RC servo and then created a simple circuit to enable me to control the servo with a little twist knob on the dash... Could get clever with it so the choke auto switches on if its cold/cold engine...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

snapper

posted on 22/11/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I used the red bonnet release lever on the Sierra column

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Fatgadget

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Autosri
I made a setup for my dcoe 40s used a big solenoid from eBay an old bike cable a momentery push button and it works perfectly

Get in let fuel pump prime hold button and start hold for 5 seconds and your perfect

You found the need to ever use choke on a DCOE setup?

blakep82

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I used the red bonnet release lever on the Sierra column

there's only one bit of sierra on my car and its the gearbox, so not an option for me!

thanks for the info, any pictures of how you've both done it?
i wondered if there was any sort of solenoid/actuator that fits right into the choke mechanism, needing to just be put in and connected up?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.