Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 150mm holes through brick
andrew-theasby

posted on 2/12/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
150mm holes through brick

Hi, whats the best way to make about half a dozen 150mm holes through a brick wall (3 total, through both sides of the wall)? I have a decent sds drill so was thinking either a tungsten carbide tipped or a diamond tipped hole saw. Which is best or is there a better/cheaper way? Is the sds the best tool for doing it or will it be too torquey, what about a normal hammer drill, or even just chain drilling and chiseling? Dont mind paying the £30 for the tool as long as it wont burn out on the second hole!!
diamond tipped

< br />
Tungsten carbide

zilspeed

posted on 2/12/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Must be the correct tool for the job, which is a big old core cutting drill which works at lower speed, has a brace to help you steady it and most importantly, a clutch.

Try it without a core cutting drill and you run the very real risk of at least a broken wrist.

Pilot drill, then a core cutter with mandrel is the correct way.

You can hire the whole setup including the 150mm core cutter and also the power tool.

BenB

posted on 2/12/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if yoru SDS drill doesn't have a clutch. Even my screwfix cheapy did. I'd go for a cheap and chearful TCT core drill. I've done a number of holes this way during my house resto. The bits aren't quite so good on the fifth hole as they are for the first but you can get them pretty cheaply via ebay so they're eminently replaceable.
daniel mason

posted on 2/12/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
id mark up 150mm circles with a pencil and pepper loads of 5.5mm holes with sds drill then bash it out with a hammer and chisel! in true locost style.

v8kid

posted on 2/12/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
My cheapest of cheapest Argos SDS has a clutch. Just drilled a 110mm hole through a 600mm solid whin rubble wall using a Tool Station diamond hole saw. Just take it easy and let the drill do all the work.
Slow but thats just the way of it.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew-theasby

posted on 2/12/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just measured the bit of pipe luckily, and its nearer 160mm, it seems theres a cheap tct hole saw available at 162mm but the diamond ones are much dearer. Think ill try the cheap one, but drill a few holes on the circumference too to help it along its way and give the drill a bit of an easier time too. Thanks for the quick replies.
Confused but excited.

posted on 2/12/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
My cheapo Chinese SDS died on it's arse trying to cut a 100mm hole in breeze block.
My advise; hire the proper drill that will handle a150mm cutter or use the locost solution, ring drill a load of small holes and smack out the middle.

[Edited on 2/12/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

JoelP

posted on 2/12/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
All the ways above work well. Agreed with the clutch though, lad i know smashed himself in the face (eyebrow) when a supatool drill jammed. He was doing it without the second handle though. Hold it properly, brace it, and work out which way it will go if it does jam!

Assuming you have a core drill the right size, id suggest using it to mark out a nice tidy circle 5mm deep, then drill with a normal bit all the way round to weaken it/remove some material. This makes it much easier for the core drill to progress. Try it on hammer and just spin, and see which works best - depends on what you are drilling.

If the core drill is taking too long, id swiss cheese the middle and use a chisel bit in the sds to finish it off.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andrew-theasby

posted on 2/12/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Its a dewalt d25404k, do you think that will be man enough, it was too expensive to risk breaking, but surely expensive enough that i shouldnt have to worry about breaking it should i?
Stott

posted on 2/12/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
To put a soil pipe through my wall (block inner brick outer) I chain drilled with my sds and knocked the centre out and tidied up, took all of half hour.

I used said sds drill with a lidl 63mm t carbide core drill last weekend on the same wall, arbor came loose and fell out, core bit snagged and spun the drill, my arm hurt but luckily I didn't get chucked off the ladder lol, stupid lidl core cutter. It snagged so bad it twisted the sds part of the cutter through 90 degrees so now it's unuseable, twas only a fiver though so can't complain as I did the job with it.

My vote goes for chain drilling especially if you have an sds and some drill bits/chisel bits already.

JoelP

posted on 2/12/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Its a dewalt d25404k, do you think that will be man enough, it was too expensive to risk breaking, but surely expensive enough that i shouldnt have to worry about breaking it should i?

Looks a good drill. Id spare it coredrilling the full way though, and chain drill after the circle is marked. I use a £50 titan drill which has cut loads of holes, but its cheap enough that it doesnt matter if it breaks (though it is actually more powerful than that dewalt).

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.