Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Astra Van Electrical Issue
craig_007

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Astra Van Electrical Issue

I've got a 1.7cdti Astra van, I think I have a problem with the altenator and was just if anyone on here has come across this before.

The ABS light comes on rev counter die's and the power steering go's heavy, the van eventually got out and would not turn over, I left it for 5 mins it then started up but still had the above lights on.

I assume it's a problem with the altenator but what gets me, all the above issues but not once has the battery light come on ?

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps it's just the drive belt slipping, I know when mine in the Zafira is slipping the headlights lights dim but the battery light never comes on, with all this wet weather it may be making the problem worse. That may also be the reason the steering gets heavy too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 24/12/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
common fault and usuaöly needs new alty

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 24/12/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
ABS system warning light comes on and goes to fail-safe non-abs mode if the supply voltage is low
In addition to checking the alternator charging voltage I would also check the battery for a dead cell and any loose or arcing connections on the alternator and main battery leads.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

craig_007

posted on 26/12/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys,

I'll give the obvious things a check over tomorrow.

If it turns out to be duff altenator, dead cell in battery why would the battery light not come on in dash ?

This problem has also caused the engine management to illuminate, I've checked with a code reader and the fault is SYSTEM VOLTAGE LOW which I had already guessed.

owelly

posted on 26/12/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Iirc, the alternator is rubber mounted and has an earth strap which faols. Worth a looksy.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig_007

posted on 27/12/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've checked over for anything obvious and nothing to be seen.

I got the van fired up from jump leads, tested the voltage at the battery, I'm 13volts at idle with nothing else turned on,when I turn on lights, heater etc the voltage drop down below 12.

I assume this is altenator as stated above, Am I right in saying if the battery had a dead cell it would still charge at 14V but the battery would not hold the charge.

Cheers

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/12/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
You can check for a dud cell in the battery using one of those load device that the tyre places use. The batt needs to be charged first though. Do it using a charger then take it to them and get it checked for peace of mind efore you shell out on an Alternator.
That said I'd be 95% sure its the alt given you posts.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

craig_007

posted on 27/12/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator it was.

Thanks for the input.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.