Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 8inch tablet
Bare

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Got a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas.. Very nice screen. Teeny tiny images though, when trying to net surf.
But I'm finding it's essentially useless. as every time you get something for it, it just costs.. seemingly endlessly.
Just another time and money waster IMO.

JoelP

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Much as its fun to write apple stuff off as overpriced, you cant deny that there is a certain appeal to having a product that just works straight out of the box. The bottom line is that iOS runs just on the one brand, so its easy to be sure everything works. Android has to work across a huge range of devices and specs, which makes it a whole lot more complex.

Sadly, i cant bring myself to spend 450 on an ipad, so for now im just sticking with my budget one. I may upgrade to a 10 incher some time, but that wont be an ipad.

Interestingly, the things i hated itunes for turn out to affect my android device too - its messed up all my file layouts and will take forever to tidy up. Equally music bought at the itunes store isnt still tied to apple devices so thats another problem solved.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Got a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas.. Very nice screen. Teeny tiny images though, when trying to net surf.
But I'm finding it's essentially useless. as every time you get something for it, it just costs.. seemingly endlessly.
Just another time and money waster IMO.

do you mean in terms of buying apps/books etc?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

craig1410

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Joelp, you can get an iPad 10" for much less than £450, especially if you use the Apple refurbished store here: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

£315 for a 3rd gen Retina display 16GB WiFi model.

I take your point though, if you can't justify that cost for your uses then there are cheaper options.

Edit: Should have mentioned, the refurb store is 100% the same warranty and probably better quality as QA'd individually rather than on a sample basis from the factory.

[Edited on 30/12/2012 by craig1410]

Mr G

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've just gone to alternative sources to be honest, XBMC flies along on the cobalt, if you then install the icefilms plug-in and the navi-x plug-in the amount of content you can get puts slys lineup to shame

Another alternative would be to pick up a cheap slingbox and hook it up to the $ky box's output for streaming while out and about.

Cheers,

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

splitrivet

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Filmon works fine on it, great for watching the box when bitch TV is on ie corry, dancing on ice etc etc.
What suprised me was the Kindle fire, sister in laws got one and I was having a play, I thought it was a straight Android tablet but anything that clashes with an Amazon supplied app is a no no.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 3/1/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Filmon works fine on it, great for watching the box when bitch TV is on ie corry, dancing on ice etc etc.
What suprised me was the Kindle fire, sister in laws got one and I was having a play, I thought it was a straight Android tablet but anything that clashes with an Amazon supplied app is a no no.

Yep, the Kindle Fire runs a very customised version of Android. I wanted to buy one as it's the only Android tablet that can stream video from Lovefilm, but the lack of Google Play and proprietary browser etc. put me off.

MikeRJ

posted on 3/1/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Joelp, you can get an iPad 10" for much less than £450, especially if you use the Apple refurbished store here: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

£315 for a 3rd gen Retina display 16GB WiFi model.

Given the price of a new iPad that's not too bad a price actually, though a brand new Nexus 10 costs about the same and has the edge in terms of hardware (higher res display and significantly faster CPU).

TimEllershaw

posted on 3/1/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet

Yep, the Kindle Fire runs a very customised version of Android. I wanted to buy one as it's the only Android tablet that can stream video from Lovefilm, but the lack of Google Play and proprietary browser etc. put me off.

I won a Kindle Fire HD in a prize draw just before Christmas, and have also been streaming films from LoveFilm and watching BBC iPlayer on it. All works really well. It has a mini-HDMI putput, so we have been able to plug it into a projector for that big screen experience

It's user interface does feel quite a lot different to a "normal" Android tablet or phone, but it is really nice to use.
The selection of apps available from the Amazon store is ok, but only a sub-set of the Google play selection. I've not tried it yet, but y0u can "side-load" applications if you fancy ( Instructions... )

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.