Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt base map - 2.0 Zetec/EDIS/TB's
me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt base map - 2.0 Zetec/EDIS/TB's

Evening.

After finally getting a cranking signal (see earlier thread) I'm hoping to try starting my engine for the first time tomorrow morning.

I've been going through my settings in tuner studio and my VE tables have 'kpaix kpa' along the Y axis. I'm running TB's so I'm trying to get it to Alpha N (and TPS % in Y I presume?), but there isn't an option for standard Alpha N that I can see. It's Microsquirt so MS2 basically.

Can someone send me an msq that might be a suitable starting point to look at? If you can drop me a u2u I'll send you my email address rather than post it on an open forum.

Thanks.

Craig

prelude1980

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
you have u2u

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what
gets you.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/dodd1980

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
In TunerStudio the Alpha-N option at the top of "Basic Settings".

I don't have the map that you need, sorry.

Matt

me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks prelude1980. Matt I don't have a straight Alpha N setting for some reason- I only get these MS Settings
MS Settings

I've gone for the bottom one, and tried to change the switch point to something daft like 15,000 rpm so it only uses Alpha N. Fingers crossed eh?!

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, I guess you have a different software version to me. I am MSExtra3 (I think).

I will read up on your settings.

me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's a microsquirt V3, firmware 3.77 I believe. And the latest tuner studio.

I've just tried to load up prelude1980's tune and got an error saying that pure alpha N isn't available in my firmware. I'll see where I get tomorrow. I do have a MAP sensor hooked up which I was planning on using for accel enrichment only, but if I struggle I could always switch to speed density just to get it idling.

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
It is strange that they have changed the software in this way as it seems to make it more confusing, but I have read the ini file and I think what you are doing is correct. (you need to make sure the logic isn't inverted, under where the RPM limit is set, from what I can find).

One strange thing about MegaLogViewer is that you have to tell it what the y-axis is so it puts the correct labels on the tables (at the right). This is one of those annoying things that everyone has to learn. "options -> y-axis field".

If Preludes map is otherwise correct then it would be a good use of time to simply translate all the values into your msq. The other people who are often helpful on this stuff are BaileyPerformance who seem to be good guys with a decent selection of proven maps.

Good luck,

Matt

ashg

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
if you get your req fuel value correct and ignition dwell correct it should just start with the default table. it may take a few goes as its cold but it should run some people have to give it a bit of throttle to keep it running but it should work. once it runs just look at another zetec map and get the fuel table ignition table and acceleration enrichment values somewhere in that ball park and it should behave. once you have got it that far then either drive it and map with a wideband or take it to a rr.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

me!

posted on 30/12/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Annoyingly it's turning over but showing 'not cranking' in tuner studio, despite showing about 150 rpm. Files here if someone wants (please!) to have a look http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=47904

Frustrating!

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I see the difference now, you are running B&G code. I'm on the MSExtra code, which is the popular alternative to B&G. Interesting to see what response you get posting a B&G question on the Extra site!

Your msl seems to indicate (to me) that its cranking and that you are getting fuel.

150rpm might be a bit on the slow side, so maybe worth putting the battery on charge.

Is it sparking? Are the fuel injectors being pulsed? Are you getting fuel injected?

Easistart can be useful as it is a check for sparks.
Warming the plugs up in the oven can help as it discourages them from getting too wet.

me!

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ha, I didn't even realise until you mentioned it! I suspect it will all go quiet. Can the MS2 Extra code be run on micro squirt do you know?

It's strange, even though it shows an rpm signal it doesn't fire the fuel pump back up, and the spark timing + pulse width don't change from not running. There is no smell of fuel in the intake. All while 'not cranking' is shown in the bottom right. I'll get there eventually!

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yup microsquirt can run Extra code (I have megasquirt with MS2 daughter card which is the same chip as the usquirt uses).

I'm not familiar with the logs from the B&G code. With MSExtra there are some nice trigger logging options in TunerStudio which would indicate whether the unit is seeing the wheel and whether it is syncing properly. Not sure whether you can do the same with B&G.

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
B&G forum is here http://www.msefi.com/

looking at the log you have "sync stat" = 3 when you are cranking and = 0 when you are not cranking. I don't know what that means, but it might be helpful to find out.

When I have tried to find out these things before with the Extra code it has been easiest to read the code.

[Edited on 30/12/12 by matt_gsxr]

me!

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaaahhhhh.....

http://www.microsquirt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24369

Time to update the firmware me thinks

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
well done for working that out.
Megasquirt is a bit of a journey, but you definitely come out of it knowing more.

me!

posted on 31/12/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
The firmware update solved the problem. It turns out firmware 3.77 has an error in it that causes it not to work where there is no direct trigger wheel reading. After getting an almighty bang out of one of the TB's and blowing out an injector blanking plug I realised the HT leads were to the wrong banks. Switched those around and....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=177487

I think I might change to MS2 extra code anyway, it seems more commonly used/better supported

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.