Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain diff question
erwe

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Chain diff question

I'm at the start of a new build, single seater BEC track car.
I stripped a Fiesta for donor parts, I try to build this one on a tight budget.
First thing is to use the diff (maybe replace it with a LSD type in the future).
I saw on other builds that the diff was supported in Pillow block bearings.
I need a bearing id of 38 mm but these or not available.
Someone knows a solution?
I already looked at the current (conical) bearings but this is not an option because they are open.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Worth talking with http://www.westgarage.co.uk/ should be able to sort out something, they certainly work with some Fiesta diff's

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

big_wasa

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
35mm (1 1/4" ) would be a standard size. Find some one with a good lathe and turn the diff down.

[Edited on 30/12/12 by big_wasa]

snapper

posted on 31/12/12 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Google industrial bearings
Also RS bearings
I know there are companies about that can supply pretty much any inner and outer size you want
It's just a matter of spending some time searching

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

minitici

posted on 31/12/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by erwe
I'm at the start of a new build, single seater BEC track car.
I stripped a Fiesta for donor parts, I try to build this one on a tight budget.
First thing is to use the diff (maybe replace it with a LSD type in the future).
I saw on other builds that the diff was supported in Pillow block bearings.
I need a bearing id of 38 mm but these or not available.
Someone knows a solution?
I already looked at the current (conical) bearings but this is not an option because they are open.

The bearing spigots on your Fiesta differential are most likely 1-1/2" ID (38.1mm)

Sealed housed bearings (pillow blocks) are available as are sealed roller bearings.

If you use housed bearings you may struggle with keeping lubricant in the differential as it will leak out of the output shafts.

I make Aluminium Alloy bearing carriers with oil seal carriers to stop the oil/grease escaping.

Drop me a PM if you need more advice or any parts.

Doug.

russbost

posted on 31/12/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I use standard 1 & 1/2" sealed roller bearings on the Furore with no extra sealing, we're running the diff in grease, we get no leakage other than a smear around the output shafts which is so slight as to be irrelevant, this is using a Toyota diff rather than Firesta, but would expect results to be similar

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
erwe

posted on 31/12/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Stupid, after measuring again it seems to be 38,1 mm.
As you (from the island....) know better then me it is 1 1/2 inch....
So 8 pound each on the bay is el cheapo....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.