Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: clarke MIG welder advise wanted
will121

posted on 6/1/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
clarke MIG welder advise wanted

As machine mart are doing a VAT free day im looking to buy a new MIG welder but there seems to many to choose from so looking for advise. (I currently have a 20 year old 100A SIP Mig)
Ive dismissed the 145,152,180,196 range as even the salesman said they were problematic.
considering a 150 Amp version as go from 30-150amp but do i really need a 16Amp supply, i could sort one if required but assume it would only be a issue if welding at max power? or should i just go for a 130amp. Mainly used for light fabrication but occasionally asked to stick heavier stuff back together like Skips, garden tractors etc

finally once decided on max Ampage, they then gasless or Gas, as ive already got regulater, gas, wire etc so should i go for a cheaper gasless and convert it or are they a lesser quality?

options seem to be
151EN gasless @£199 or 151TE Gas @£259 (150TE and 151TE appear same and price just Blue and Red)
or 135TE @ £229.

Any opinions welcome

stevebubs

posted on 6/1/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I use my 151 on a 13A fuse. Only time I've had issues is when welding really thick material on max power...
blakep82

posted on 6/1/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
My 151te blows fuses on only the highest power, on thick metal, so mid power on 3mm or so will be fine on a 13amp fuse. Though I, ahem, an electrician, wired up a 16amp circuit for it which I think is much better, if it's possible in your garage

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Alfa145

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
My 151 is fine on a 13amp plug (so far) been welding on high power the past few days without any issues. The shop advised it would be fine on 13amp when I bought it.
coozer

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Portamig 185 on a 16 amp socket. Also use the socket for my compressor and plasma cutter and ferocious saw bench.

Dead easy to install, just run a spur from a nearby socket.

One of these screwed to the wall...

With these on the appliances...

Cheap as chips from Toolstation...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Industrial+Connectors/d190/sd2430

As far as your choice of welder goes I've naffed around with various of the MM jobs but cannot fault the Portamig, takes full size bottles and 15kg wire reels, and has automatic feed control, so when you turn the power up the wire speed follows suit..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to ask, whens the vat free day?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

will121

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Forgot to ask, whens the vat free day?

Mine was today and Thursday, but think different areas of the country have different days don't know if you need a card or not, but they asked for mine on entry.

clanger

posted on 6/1/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
depending how desperate you are keep an eye out for set with a bit of pedigree.........Murex, Kemppi, Miller, Licoln, ESAB blah, blah

you can pick a nice, but slightly older Murex tradesmig for circa £200-250, and it'll nock spots of the usual MM stuff.......

I got 160a one about 5years ago, runs sweet of 13a plug and the wire feed mechanism's got more steel and copper in it than your average MM buzzbox............its built like a brick outhouse

will last for ages and weld 8mm for fun for years and years

[Edited on 6/1/13 by clanger]

enginearin

posted on 8/1/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Dead easy to install, just run a spur from a nearby socket.

Don't do this!

There is no fuse in a 16A plug so your appliance is fused at the rating of the breaker on your ring main (32A for a ring in 2.5mm)... that's a bit much for a socket rated at 16A!

You need to run a radial circuit from the consumer unit fused at 16A to each 16A socket, 2.5mm cable will be plenty big enough for sensible length runs.

I have 16A sockets in my garage fed from a fused spur off the main circuit. This is fused at 13A, but i only use it to connect my 16A extension leads to, rather than connecting equipment requiring 16A.

coozer

posted on 8/1/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, forgot to say, a fused spur!

Or, as you say a dedicated 16amp breaker in the fuse box.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 8/1/13 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
finally once decided on max Ampage, they then gasless or Gas, as ive already got regulater, gas, wire etc so should i go for a cheaper gasless and convert it or are they a lesser quality?

I thought the gasless couldn't be converted to gas, but the gas can be converted to gasless?

enginearin

posted on 8/1/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, forgot to say, a fused spur!

Was worried for a minute... made my day

[Edited on 8/1/13 by enginearin]

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/1/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by will121

I thought the gasless couldn't be converted to gas, but the gas can be converted to gasless?

Nope, gasless can be converted to gas (it has the + and - leads as plug-ins, so you can swap polarity)
Gasless very handy too

Slimy38

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
It was more the gas supply tube to the torch being absent on a gasless? Or do they come with the tube anyway?

My own welder is a gas/nogas and has the polarity switchable as you describe, but it was sold as a 'dual' unit rather than one type converted to the other. Although to my (very) untrained eye I couldn't tell the difference in welds when the polarity is switched.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.